302w

Why am I a terrible farmer?

Not a farmer at all.. just a home gardener..

When I was a teenager I was the free labor to take care of the garden. I would flood the tomatoes daily and they flourished. As the years went on my garden slowly went down hill. I no longer flooded them but the plants always died early.

I moved to Pennsylvania and my woes continued. This year my beefsteak plants died by July, and my Monsanto hybrid plants grew quick but the lower branches had yellowing branches in June which spread to the top by August. I had a poor crop. My cucumbers died mid August and I have one wilting pepper plant left.

What am I doing wrong? I'm lazy with weeding. I watered them daily. I fertilized with manure when I planted them. I used to use sevin but did not this year.

Manure is not a wonder fertilizer. It sounds like to me that your plants are under nourished. For years I have used garden tone organic fertilizer along with tilling peat and compost into my soil. This year I stepped up to Fox Farm nutrients and my whole garden has been better than in years past.