WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

3% of Americans own 50% of the guns

Ok so we all know a large percentage of gun owners will not respond to surveys about gun ownership. How is it that they can have studies saying half of children are in households with guns if only a small percentage of Americans own guns? Are gun owners especially potent breeders or something? And finally if this is correct, why is this even a discussion: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us-crime-rates-2016_us_57e01a0ee4b04a1497b5bdfc

So let's see using headlines from mainstream sources:

Guns are bad because of gun crime however gun crime is at a historic low so people don't need guns for self defense

Guns are bad because half of the children in the country are in households with guns, however only a small percentage of Americans own guns

Guns are bad because there is a epidemic of shooting deaths in the USA, however, gun crime is at a historic low and few Americans own guns.

Guns are bad because criminals steal guns from legal owners however gun crime is at a historic low and apparently there are few gun owners to steal from.

The facts don't support the narrative so maybe if we just confuse them, people will just go with it.

Mark Twain was right, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Like 2

How did they arrive at the number "17"? They could't round to 20?

The same way they came up with everything else....wrote their conclusions, then made-up the numbers to support it!

• Like 1

NFA Act of 1986 required registration of all machine guns, suppressors and AOW's.

NFA Act of 2018 under President Clinton, Democratic Congress and liberal Supreme Court would require registration of all firearms owned by gun "super owners".  After all, studies have shown that this would only affect 3% of gun owners but address over 50% of guns in circulation.  Small price to pay for safety of "regular" Americans just like the NFA Act of 1986 demonstrated.

NFA Act of 1986 required registration of all machine guns, suppressors and AOW's.

NFA Act of 2018 under President Clinton, Democratic Congress and liberal Supreme Court would require registration of all firearms owned by gun "super owners".  After all, studies have shown that this would only affect 3% of gun owners but address over 50% of guns in circulation.  Small price to pay for safety just like the NFA Act of 1986 demonstrated.

This figures.

I thought we were being set-up when I first read the bogus "survey"....

Who comes up with this dreck?  When I get a survey call, I hang up.  So this survey should say "22% of the folks we could get to respond in this survey...."

The Harvard-Northeastern survey was conducted anonymously via an online panel. The researchers told the Guardian newspaper that they did not receive any pushback from respondents about the questions, leading them to be confident in the results.

And what does this mean?  An online panel of who?  Leftist nerds in Cupertino California?

Exactly!

Who comes up with this dreck? When I get a survey call, I hang up. So this survey should say "22% of the folks we could get to respond in this survey...."

The Harvard-Northeastern survey was conducted anonymously via an online panel. The researchers told the Guardian newspaper that they did not receive any pushback from respondents about the questions, leading them to be confident in the results.

And what does this mean? An online panel of who? Leftist nerds in Cupertino California?

It means it is a shitty piece of research that no real researcher, or person in general, should take too seriously. An opt in survey that one is paid for as part of a larger surveying program? Ridiculous. Not generizable at all honestly.