CageFighter

FOID card & flying

It allows you to carry one in the trunk of your car all day long outside of the normal exemptions.

Tell me about exemptions for long guns.  Pretty sure it only applies to handguns.

And anyway Firearms Owners Protection Act should cover long guns... Just saying.

Now granted, carrying a FID card may give a comfort level to LEO that really don't know the law.

Tell me about exemptions for long guns.  Pretty sure it only applies to handguns.

And anyway Firearms Owners Protection Act should cover long guns... Just saying.

Now granted, carrying a FID card may give a comfort level to LEO that really don't know the law.

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons.
c. Rifles and shotguns.
(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

As long as it is unloaded you are OK (with standard exceptions like not having it on school property, courts, etc).

c. Rifles and shotguns.
(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

As long as it is unloaded you are OK (with standard exceptions like not having it on school property, courts, etc).

Totally ambiguous when there is no requirement to have a FID if you move into the state with a NJ legal firearm.

Totally ambiguous when there is no requirement to have a FID if you move into the state with a NJ legal firearm.

You can have a firearm in your house when you move to NJ. No need for an FPID.

NJ laws are at best ambiguous.

Best way to read them is to assume everything is illegal unless there is a specific exemption. Even then they are difficult to comprehend.

I can carry an unloaded rifle on my front seat(except in prohibited places such as school property) all day with my FPIC. Although legal, it's probably not a good idea. If Frank isn't aware of the laws, I won't expect Patrolman Joe Schmoe to know them either.

I can carry an unloaded rifle on my front seat(except in prohibited places such as school property) all day with my FPIC. Although legal, it's probably not a good idea. If Frank isn't aware of the laws, I won't expect Patrolman Joe Schmoe to know them either.

Chris - It's not that I don't know the law but dispute the interpretation.

So, you're hunting (shotgun) legally with no FID.  You tell me that's NJ Illegal?

Look at Paul's #15 post

Owning a FPID:

You can "carry" a loaded long gun. You must "transport" an unloaded long gun.

I thought that outside of a range, home, hunting, etc. the rifle/shotgun has to be unloaded:

c. Rifles and shotguns.
(2) Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.