#1 danw77

danw77
  • LocationPhillipsburg, NJ
  • Home Range:Phillipsburg Pistol Club, EFGA, Clinton WMA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:11 PM

Check this out: https://www.american...mark-iv-pistol/

rugermkiv_6.jpg?preset=article

https://youtu.be/MqbiyPMA7CE

I imagine this is going to sell very well. Curious if anyone has seen one in person yet.

#2 JT Custom Guns

JT Custom Guns
  • LocationJersey Shore / Lacey Twp., NJ

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:31 PM

It's going to be a shoot out (pardon the pun) between the Mk-IV

and the S&W Victory for the top bragging rights.

Ruger has the pedigree, but S&W has a VG pistol out so a little

time will tell..............

• danw77 likes this

Jack Teahan
JT Custom Guns & Collectibles

Lacey Twp., NJ (exit 74 on GSP)
609-709-1346 - Cell phone
609-312-7791 - Office

jteahan3165@gmail.com

www.JTCustomGuns.com

Federally Licensed Gun Dealer

Card Carryin' Member of the NRA
F.O.P. - Lodge 10

#3 T Bill

T Bill
  • LocationNW Warren County
  • Home Range:Shongum

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:53 PM

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” - Dr. Sigmund Freud

” … the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law.” - Dr. Martin Luther King
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence
Cogito, ergo sum armatus. I think, therefore I am armed

#4 Topher

Topher
  • LocationBergen Cty.
  • Home Range:Codger Ridge

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

I will so be buying one.

Christopher

"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail." Benjamin Franklin

#5 Old School

Old School
  • LocationLow Country, SC
  • Home Range:My Back Yard

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

Yep, Ruger hit it out of the park with this one.

The MK II with some trigger work was always my favorite 22lr semi pistol.

I always considered it the best and most accurate.  I have a MK I too and never liked the MK III.

Now if I can MK IV with threaded barrel I'm in....

Certified GLOCK Armorer

"I only got two things, my word and my balls, and I ain't breakin' either for nobody" - Tony Montana

"Life's journey is not arriving at the gate safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy *...what a ride!"

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Message sent while driving fast on acid with one foot out the window.

#6 JimB1

JimB1
  • Home Range:Lake Island, Carteret

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

Nice! I'll have too think about this one. They are squarely aiming at the S&W Victory.
Can't wait to see one
-Jim

#7 Newtonian

Newtonian
  • LocationSussex County
  • Home Range:The Gallows

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:52 AM

OMG this finally convinces me to get more P2Ps. My Buckmark would have had 5-6 ejection failures during his initial tests. It's not a terrible takedown but 1 button means it gets cleaned every single time I shoot it.

NRA, NJ2AS, NJARPC, Lamination Society of America

#8 W2MC

W2MC
  • LocationWaterford Works
  • Home Range:Telco

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

Ruger finally figured-out how to do the 'take-down' thing!  Not sure if it will turn me from my S&W M-41, but it DOES look nice!

#9 danw77

danw77
  • LocationPhillipsburg, NJ
  • Home Range:Phillipsburg Pistol Club, EFGA, Clinton WMA

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:37 AM

I bought the Victory over the Mark III a couple of months ago because of the takedown issues. I guess I'm going to have to pick up a Mark IV now.

#10 DSD1026

DSD1026
  • LocationMonmouth County
  • Home Range:CJRPC

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

Mark IV is clearly aiming at the "ease of takedown" that the SW Victory came out with.  Mark IV looks like a nice pistol, but the price point compared to the Victory (which is an excellent target style 22 itself) leaves a little to be desired.  Its cheapest configuration is $150+ more than the Victory.  (And the frame is aluminum with that one..  move up to stainless steel and its another $160..  and move up to the hunter model and add another $80)..  

that said, im sure they will sell a lot of them because there are tons of Ruger Mark series loyalists, and this is the next step.. 

ed302975af5539f0d11a741c17a016a8_zpse776

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense." - John Adams

-David

djg0770

I want to be the best dressed guy where I go, so I go to Walmart.

#11 JackDaWack

JackDaWack
  • LocationNorth NJ
  • Home Range:Cherry Ridge

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

Never had an issue with the MK III, but this will definitely win over the nay sayers, and those who are lazy.

Looks a little pricey though, much more then the MK III models. I'm also curious about the tolerances of the upper and lower, I typically need a rubber mallet to separate mine.

#12 Budasac

Budasac
  • LocationColonia
  • Home Range:Lake Island Rifle and Pistol

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

Never found cleaning my Ruger MKs to be an issue. To me, this is a fix for something that ain't broke.

#13 T Bill

T Bill
  • LocationNW Warren County
  • Home Range:Shongum

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Never found cleaning my Ruger MKs to be an issue. To me, this is a fix for something that ain't broke.

Ain't that the truth.  I have a Mark II Government since the 80's.  Never had a problem with takedown or cleaning. Granted the Mark III mixed improvements with screw ups, the Mark IV seems to have corrected that.  Ruger has high markups so the street price will be much lower. Still some nice improvements if you never had one.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” - Dr. Sigmund Freud

” … the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law.” - Dr. Martin Luther King
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence
Cogito, ergo sum armatus. I think, therefore I am armed

#14 NJGF

NJGF
  • LocationMonmouth Country

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

Ain't that the truth.  I have a Mark II Government since the 80's.  Never had a problem with takedown or cleaning. Granted the Mark III mixed improvements with screw ups, the Mark IV seems to have corrected that.  Ruger has high markups so the street price will be much lower. Still some nice improvements if you never had one.

I have a Mark III and if I knew about the issues I had I never would have bought it. That being said I have basically replaced the insides with Volquartsen parts (so it is more like a Mark II in some ways) and now I love the gun. A very expensive .22 by the time I got finished. If the mark IV fixes the issues then it might be a great gun.

#15 Budasac

Budasac
  • LocationColonia

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:45 PM

I have a Mark III and if I knew about the issues I had I never would have bought it. That being said I have basically replaced the insides with Volquartsen parts (so it is more like a Mark II in some ways) and now I love the gun. A very expensive .22 by the time I got finished. If the mark IV fixes the issues then it might be a great gun.

What are the "issues" you had?

#16 JackDaWack

JackDaWack
  • LocationNorth NJ
  • Home Range:Cherry Ridge

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

yea, what issues?

I have the Target lipsey edition and its got thousands down the barrel with out a single issue.

Maybe i got a good one?

#17 NJGF

NJGF
  • LocationMonmouth Country

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hey I am not trying to say the gun is not on the whole great. My experience was not. A sample of one is not a statistic and can't be used to condemn the gun.

It had consistent failure to feed, failure to eject, and jams. In the end I was only using good ammo (CCI plated round nose).

I read posts about grinding down the lips of the magazines to round them. I removed the magazine disconnect. I tried everything.

The Volquartsen parts are amazing. The trigger is really smooth and light (around 2 pounds). The original bolt would sometimes cut my fingers but the extended handle is super. Take down was a pain but now is a little better (I don't need to use the magazine but I still need the mallet).

I had the expectation that all firearms from major manufacturers would be as reliable as a Glock (OK there I said it). Don't get me wrong but I am sure many people are happy with their Mark III's, just not me. And now that mine is working well I do plan on keeping it. I have not had ANY issues with in the many hundreds of rounds I have shot.

#18 Budasac

Budasac
  • LocationColonia

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

Hey I am not trying to say the gun is not on the whole great. My experience was not. A sample of one is not a statistic and can't be used to condemn the gun.

It had consistent failure to feed, failure to eject, and jams. In the end I was only using good ammo (CCI plated round nose).

I read posts about grinding down the lips of the magazines to round them. I removed the magazine disconnect. I tried everything.

The Volquartsen parts are amazing. The trigger is really smooth and light (around 2 pounds). The original bolt would sometimes cut my fingers but the extended handle is super. Take down was a pain but now is a little better (I don't need to use the magazine but I still need the mallet).

I had the expectation that all firearms from major manufacturers would be as reliable as a Glock (OK there I said it). Don't get me wrong but I am sure many people are happy with their Mark III's, just not me. And now that mine is working well I do plan on keeping it. I have not had ANY issues with in the many hundreds of rounds I have shot.

Sorry you had so much trouble with it. Ruger CS is great though and I'm sure they would have taken care of it for you. The way you referred to the MKIV possibly fixing the issues you had made it sound like you felt there was something inherently wrong with the design that needed fixing.

As you said , any individual gun can have issues. Although Glocks are reliable they aren't very accurate. You really can't fairly compare a combat gun to a target gun.

That said, the only issue I ever had with my most used MK was the trigger. I use the gun for Standard Pistol Matches and did my own trigger job when I first got it. It was perfect for 7-8,000 rounds and then I started having issues. After some trouble shooting I replaced the sear and all was well. Gun probably has a little over 10,000 rounds through it and is as accurate as anything else I see on the the firing line.

#19 tony357

tony357
  • LocationTUCKERTON NJ

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

issues that ruger mark 3 had. did these to mine and problems fixed becomes a dream to shoot.

1. failure to eject,  install volquartsen exact edge extractor.

2. mags wont drop.   do the mag safety delete  install hammer bushing.

If it flies it die's, if it run's it is done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users