45Doll

1 Woman vs. 3 Armed Suspects Caught On Video

This story  is the first I've ever read where a home invasion by armed men was captured on surveillance video. INCLUDING the response of the armed homeowner.

One woman has her own handgun, and she drives them out of the house.

Her technique isn't what is practiced in IDPA, but in this case it worked for her. Perhaps it just never occurred to these armed thugs they might end up on the receiving end.

It has no bearing on the self-defense aspect, but is anyone else curious about the boxes? The reporter said she runs a seafood company out of her house, but that makes me think they ought to be in a fridge or freezer…  :think:

It has no bearing on the self-defense aspect, but is anyone else curious about the boxes? The reporter said she runs a seafood company out of her house, but that makes me think they ought to be in a fridge or freezer…   :think:

Apparently she runs an Asian restaurant / food place.

• Like 1

Hillary would have told her to dial 911.

Outstanding example of how violence of action and taking the fight to the bad guys won the fight.

True. Many criminals of thus type expect victims to comply. She showed them different. Beat feet was their response.

Glad it turned out ok, but charging into the middle of a robbery with an unknown number of perps is not a good idea. Better to have a good defensive position where you can call the police and have a tactical advantage should the bad guys encroach your space. The only tactical advantage she had this time was surprise, but she got lucky. The one that came running out of the door could have just as easily put a few rounds into her and she would never have known where it came from.

Glad that this worked out for her this time.

And they'll be like...

6477ebad9044385343d498f462f04c3bd72d1040

Sadly true…

Glad it turned out ok, but charging into the middle of a robbery with an unknown number of perps is not a good idea. Better to have a good defensive position where you can call the police and have a tactical advantage should the bad guys encroach your space. The only tactical advantage she had this time was surprise, but she got lucky. The one that came running out of the door could have just as easily put a few rounds into her and she would never have known where it came from.

Very lucky. If you go to the 2:08 mark in the video below, you'll see that if the third robber had squeezed the trigger while running past this could have ended very differently.

But I'm not going to criticize. It was 3:45 in the morning, and clearly she was asleep before these low-lifes invaded her home. I'm glad she's ok, and I'm glad that she lives in a state where her right to defend herself and her property is not only recognized, but supported by LE.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised that this was even on the news. They usually only make all gun owners look bad. According to the NRA magazine good guys defending themselves happens every day but its never on the news. 

Still no thoughts if her response would be legal in NJ?

I have a friend that about 5 years ago did this same thing against an intruder in his garage here in NJ. He didn't hit the intruder, but he did fire twice.

He was never charged with anything.

• Like 1

Still no thoughts if her response would be legal in NJ?

Answer to your question below.

Why wouldn't her responce be legal in nj? They kicked her door in and pointed a gun at her in her own home. Come on now jersey is bad but not that bad.

I agree with fishnut. 3 armed cretins knock down your door while you're sleeping. Their intent is clear. No time to invite them to leave. I don't see any problem with this if it were NJ.

Yes, maybe she could have done things differently. But as JC Westy68 said violence of action and taking the fight to the bad guys works to defeat what is an outnumbered situation. It's worked countless times in combat and in SD situations. You don't learn this with gun games.

What she did worked out. That's the important thing.

Her last shot doesn't look like it would be OK in NJ. She pulls her front door open and fires a shot at the fleeing perps.

The relevant part of the NJ statute:

(2)The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; nor is it justifiable if:

(a)The actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or

(b)The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i)The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor; and

(ii)A public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform such duty, effect such arrest or prevent such escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom such action is directed.

I honestly couldn't say which way it would go in NJ.

Her response was how I was trained to react to a near ambush. You have to attack it. Staying Stationary with 3 against 1 is a recipe for disaster. She was in the fight immediately. She caused the bad guys to panic and run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ambush is different. You are in the open, presumably in the worst possible location, and really don't have a lot of choices. She had a number of choices, including hanging out at a choke point and picking them off one by one or keeping them at bay while waiting for cops. Although it would probably only take one dropped for them to leave. Her tactics certainly worked. I think she got shot (grazed) in the head.

• Like 2

The relevant part of the NJ statute:

(2)The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; nor is it justifiable if:

(a)The actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or

(b)The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i)The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor; and

(ii)A public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform such duty, effect such arrest or prevent such escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom such action is directed.

I honestly couldn't say which way it would go in NJ.

During the event the aggressor can change. Once out of your house if you shoot a fleeing perp in the back, it is difficult to argue that you were in fear of your life. The same is true if the perp drops his weapon and puts his hands up. You might still be afraid but would a reasonable person believe you were in danger of losing your life. Interestingly the video can make the situation worse unless you do everything by the book.

During the event the aggressor can change. Once out of your house if you shoot a fleeing perp in the back, it is difficult to argue that you were in fear of your life. The same is true if the perp drops his weapon and puts his hands up. You might still be afraid but would a reasonable person believe you were in danger of losing your life. Interestingly the video can make the situation worse unless you do everything by the book.

If you notice in this situation, all 3 perps still had their firearms while they were running.  I would argue that that still constitutes a threat as they could fire back at any time.

• Like 1

If you notice in this situation, all 3 perps still had their firearms while they were running.  I would argue that that still constitutes a threat as they could fire back at any time.

Once they were running away out out of her house she could have just closed the door, hunkered down in her bedroom, and waited for the police to arrive. Her last 3-4 shots were not needed.

I also think it was a tactical mistake (not that she was thinking about tactics) as the slide seems to go to slide lock after the final shot. She didn't seem to be holding an extra magazine and it also looks like her door wasn't closing properly. If they had come back she would have really been out of luck.

Fortunately I think these guys are probably still running. Maybe they will think about going into another line of work (like making license plates).

Once they were running away out out of her house she could have just closed the door, hunkered down in her bedroom, and waited for the police to arrive. Her last 3-4 shots were not needed.

I also think it was a tactical mistake (not that she was thinking about tactics) as the slide seems to go to slide lock after the final shot. She didn't seem to be holding an extra magazine and it also looks like her door wasn't closing properly. If they had come back she would have really been out of luck.

Fortunately I think these guys are probably still running. Maybe they will think about going into another line of work (like making license plates).

Would you have hunkered down?  really?

Violence of Action - just like JC_68Westy said - overwhelm them with action.  Shock & Awe a la George W. Bush.

You're armchair quarterback'ing