JackDaWack

Obtaining non-res FL CCW

Just got into a argument with a friend over the process. He's talking to an instructor who is telling us that we need to take an NRA online safety course, then take a course with him, who is a Certified NRA instructor.

We both have taken a hunters ed course.

It seems odd to me that i would take two course for the Florida CCW, and i was under the impression the hunter education course was sufficient.

I know i can find info on the requirements but i'm just curious if what were doing here is necessary.

You don't. You need to prove proficiency and the NRA basic pistol is one of those ways. A hunting license might even work.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/#Concealed-Weapons

On line application. A hunting license does work.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/26365/504278/ConcealedWeaponLicenseApplicationInstructions.pdf

Same here, I just mailed in copy of my NJ Hunting License for my FLA CCW. Don't believe instructors of these courses they are either morons or liars to protect their business. Father and Son who taught Utah course argued with me that NJ residents can't open carry in PA outside of Philly without Carry Permit. Also argued with me that Utah Non-Resident Permit allowed the holder the carry in car in PA outside of Philly. Moot point now since NH Non-Resident Permit allows CCW in PA outside of Philly in and out of car. For the record any US Citizen of Legal Age can open carry in PA outside Philly and any CCW License permits Non-Resident to carry in car.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did u guys apply recently? and nothing has changed that i know of...

Also what did you guys use for fingerprints?

I applied in June or July and used a copy of my DD-214 from the Navy as proof of training.

You must use their fingerprint cards and they must be done in ink by a law enforcement agency. The prints were the hardest part for me as

PDs use electronic prints now. I knew a detective in my town who did them the old way for me.

NJSP would not do them for me.

Went to my local PD and they took the fingerprints for free. They were very helpful but it was kind of funny. The officers were in their late 20s and neither of them really knew how to take ink prints. I was able to walk them through it. Florida application package comes with fingerprint card.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm waiting on my FL CCW… 

Qualification does not need to be through the NRA. Most introductory/basic/safety courses will qualify provided the instructor has the correct credentials. From the application:

The certificate/document must include your name, your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearms Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license/ certification number.

With regards to what the OP was told, if you decide to qualify via the NRA course, from nrainstructors.org/:

The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting is a two-part course consisting of an e-learning portion (completed online-in your own timeframe) and a hands-on practical portion conducted at a range under the guidance and supervision of an NRA-Certified Instructor. The course is intended for all adults regardless of previous shooting experience or NRA-affiliation.

So that part of what he said was true.

When I got mine back in 2012 I submitted copy of NRA Basic Pistol Certificate and Hillsborough PD did my prints on cards provided by FL. Took around 30 days to get back. Back then NRA Basic Pistol was half classroom and half range time.

When I got mine back in 2012 I submitted copy of NRA Basic Pistol Certificate and Hillsborough PD did my prints on cards provided by FL. Took around 30 days to get back. Back then NRA Basic Pistol was half classroom and half range time.

Things are moving a little slower now. The website warns you that it can take up to 90 days, and that doesn't seem to be an overly cautious estimate at the moment—it took them three weeks just to cash my check. 

I ordered the finger print cards and my PD will do them for me. I'll send a copy of my license for the year and my ED card along with the application and it, at least by law, should do it.

That page you order the print cards from has all the PDF files you need, too.

I applied in June or July and used a copy of my DD-214 from the Navy as proof of training.

You must use their fingerprint cards and they must be done in ink by a law enforcement agency. The prints were the hardest part for me as

PDs use electronic prints now. I knew a detective in my town who did them the old way for me.

NJSP would not do them for me.

Applied in july and still waiting for it?

I sent mine in on June 14th. Permit issued July 12. Their web sight said to wait a week for printing.  I waited for 2 weeks after that and still no permit.

I called them and they said someone forgot to send it for printing. Took about 10 more days for me to get it in the mail.

If you do need the prereqs, GFH does the whole kitten caboodle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I rewlly wouldn't mind doing it but it cost a lot of money for something I really don't need. I would probably just take a better course they offer and do the paperwork myself.

Take a trip down and get printed in person. You may never leave. I know when I do I'm unhappy.

Take a trip down and get printed in person. You may never leave. I know when I do I'm unhappy.

LOL, serioulsy. My father lives down there, visit as much i can. Not a bad idea to just do it down there next time I visit. If i do it in person do i just bring my certs and application/fee to a PD?

LOL, serioulsy. My father lives down there, visit as much i can. Not a bad idea to just do it down there next time I visit. If i do it in person do i just bring my certs and application/fee to a PD?

I did it st the tax collectors office. In fact I did it while I was waiting for my d/l, voter registration and registration for my truck. The same very polite lady and it all took about 20 mins. I waited in line for 1 or 2 mins.

Yeah bring your d/l and hunting license or whatever you plan in using. They'll electronically print and the app is electronic.

• Like 1

The Florida website says they are now expediting the CCW for vets and active duty military! Must be something new since it did not help me one bit!

Note to Military Members and Veterans

The department is now expediting all Florida concealed weapon or firearm license applications submitted by active military members and veterans.

Active military personnel who want to apply for a concealed weapon license should include a copy of their Common Access Card or other form of official military identification with their applications. The department will also accept a copy of service members' current orders as proof of active duty status.

Honorably discharged veterans should submit a copy of their DD 214 long form with their applications.

My NJ hunting lic was all I gave them.

I never took the NJ hunter ed class. I was grandfathered in with a NY license back in 1991. 

Are you saying all I need for Fla. is my license and not proof of having taken the NRA pistol course or the hunter ed class? I can provide the NRA cert but it would take me several hours to find. 

I never took the NJ hunter ed class. I was grandfathered in with a NY license back in 1991.

Are you saying all I need for Fla. is my license and not proof of having taken the NRA pistol course or the hunter ed class? I can provide the NRA cert but it would take me several hours to find.

Hunting license works.

The Florida website says they are now expediting the CCW for vets and active duty military! Must be something new since it did not help me one bit!

Note to Military Members and Veterans

The department is now expediting all Florida concealed weapon or firearm license applications submitted by active military members and veterans.

Active military personnel who want to apply for a concealed weapon license should include a copy of their Common Access Card or other form of official military identification with their applications. The department will also accept a copy of service members' current orders as proof of active duty status.

Honorably discharged veterans should submit a copy of their DD 214 long form with their applications.

Well I guess that Florida dosnt believe Obozos comments that all is well as far as Islamic terrorism goes..    If I were A CCW collector I would send them A check and app But Utah and NH work for me.

Hunting license works.

This is a revelation. When I took the Utah class at Heritage Guild the instructor offered us the Fla. license as well. I believe there were some extras involved, as I recall more than just filling out the form and sending in the fee. Does anyone who took the Utah class remember a similar offer? Was it simply for convenience? To get an extra fee? Total B.S.?

Fla. is somewhat important because it gives you, er, Florida. Plus NM. 

Does anyone remember what Mike in Breaking Bad told the FBI in the interrogation room? He-he that's me but I can't carry to pick berries behind my house.