InFamous

NRA Basic Pistol Clarification.

From what I've been recently reading/understanding it seems NRA Basic pistol is now a 2 part course. Part 1 is done online on the NRA website which looks to be $60. Then there's Part 2 that is the live fire with an instructor done at whatever ranges that offer that service for w/e fee they charge. 

Am I correct in thinking this is how it's done now? With that said. Utah only needs NRA Basic Pistol classroom and no live fire required. So can you take the NRA online course and apply for Utah? 

Seems this was made a bit more complicated or I'm just overthinking it.

This is the website for online training, during enrollment that have you make a 6 digit pin that you need for part 2 for live fire. 

https://basicpistol.nra.org/

Correct....

The NRA Basic Pistol is now 2 parts.... 

Part 1  - Online $60 

Part 2 - Reinforces what you learned online and instructor validates what you have learned and then performs Live fire training and qualification .....

Does NOT satisfy requirements for Utah CCW, as stated above, you would need to take a course given by a Utah Certified Instructor.

• Like 2

Yeah I think you're confusing Utah with FL.

No I understand UT only needs the classroom and FL needs live fire. I was clarifying if the new online NRA course would satisfy UT requirements or not. It doesn't seem it does so thank you all for the input! 

Either way, you have to start NRA Basic Pistol with their online course then correct, even when taking a class at a local range that offers certification?

No I understand UT only needs the classroom and FL needs live fire. 

FL does not require live fire.  Only requires proof of competency.

• Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

FL does not require live fire.  Only requires proof of competency.

• Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

So just the online phase of the course would satisfy FL?

I've always been told live fire was required, which NJ Hunters does cover. The last bullet surprises me as no mention of live fire. Thanks.

This is really just clarification on how to take NRA Basic as it seems they made it more complicated. 

Small background....my Father became an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor recently, he told me he is only allowed to conduct live fire training and that part 1 is online only so the money goes directly to the NRA. So I'm trying to figure out exactly HOW to do the actual class. Whether I start online then finish with the range or does the range still do whole course just does part of it online. 

The range cannot do Part 1 ......  It must be taken online....

Your father then can use your PIN number and run you through Part 2

Thanks man, that's exactly what I thought from the info I've gotten. This is great information for everyone and I'm surprised it wasn't discussed before unless I missed it. My next day off I will take the online part 1 course and proceed from there. 

So everyone needs to take note in order to do NRA Basic Pistol, enroll online first, take course and then sign up for part 2 class.

To get the UT license, you need the specific UT course that is written by the state of UT and offered only by instructors certified by the state of UT.  There are several of these in NJ.

Is there a link or site where we can find them?

For those interested in obtaining their Fl and/or Ut non-resident permits, last year I took the one day class offered by Green Academy of Personal Protection. (See vendor/training section of these forums.) It included classroom and live fire training, along with all forms, fingerprinting, etc. Everything needed to obtain both states permits.

Aside from that,once my job travel slows down, I also intend to take a series of training classes from NRA Basic thru Defensive handgun training, etc. I plan to apply for NH non-resident permit and eventually conceal carry in PA. However, want to get further training before I actually do so.

Not quite sure what is really being asked, however:

NRA Basic Pistol - as stated it is now two-part.

The first is on-line (and paid directly to NRA). Once this is completed (6-8 hrs, likely several sessions), one can schedule part two with an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor. Part Two is a confirmation that it was indeed you who did the online portion, check dominant eye, teaching the NRA method of safe gun handling, loading and unloading of single-action, double action revolvers and semi-automatic handguns (nb the Instructor must teach all three actions - BP cannot be done simply with one's own pistol), and finally bring this to the firing range for live fire. To complete the course the student must shoot a standard target succesfully, at a minimum of five rounds in each of four four-inch targets at 10 feet, with the option to shoot it at two distances further out. If successful, the student can opt to shoot the "Instructor Certification" target (score 16/20 in a 6 inch target at 15 yards - this does *not* certify the student as an instructor, it's for interest only). You can use any pistol for this, but must shoot all three actions on the range. There is a minimum recommended round count - contact me for confirmation, if of interest.

It should be noted that the Lesson Plan calls for the Instructor to have students work together, so it isn't really amenable to having one student being "run through" the curriculum, and it also isn't sufficient to have them merely shoot the qualification targets. Expect Phase two to last ~5 hours.

As an aside it's disturbing to think that people are already looking for ways to short circuit this, and if I discovered that an Instructor I'd recommended for certification was doing htis, I'd be really dissppointed.

UTAH CCW

TO satisfy the requirements for this class, one must take the class specified by the State of Utah, and it must be given in its entirety by an Instructor who goes to UT to obtain certification, and returns every two years to re-certify. The class must discuss the law relating to firearms in UT and does not have a requirement for live fore or evidence of safe gun handling, or any prior experience handling a firearm, or indeed owning a firearm.

It should be noted that the AZ permit, when combined with FL, has almost identical coverage as UT+FL, and is obtainable ny NJ residents.

FLORIDA CCW

As stated, the core element of the FL requirement is that the applicant has taken a "recognized" gun safety course. NRA Basic Pistol does indeed satisfy this, as did the old FIRST Steps Pistol (now withdrawn by NRA), NRA PPIH or PPOH. As also stated, the NJ Hunters' Ed course also satisfies the FL requirement, as will any certificate signed by an NRA nstructor, where their Instructor Number is shown.

Neither FL nor UT (or AZ) require competence in drawing or reholstering.

I hope that helps - there's a lot of good advice in the thread above. There are also a lot of good (and bad) instructors offering these classes.

I'm curious to know how people are viewing the New NRA Basic Pistol class relative to the old one, and why they are getting the certification, so if people have a moment to tell me I'd be grateful.

Good luck to all

G. Gallagher - www.scotshot.com

I was only asking how NRA Basic Pistol was broken down now, since the last time I looked into it, it was all done at the range. I recently learned that the classroom type portion now is done online hence the "Clarification" part of the thread title. I know how to obtain the UT and FL permits, I was not sure if the new online NRA portion satisfied UT requirements which they do not as was stated above you need a UT certified class. I wasn't trying to start it into another "How do I obtain such and such permit" as there are plenty of those on here for people to read.

Thanks all for the replies. 

I'm curious to know how people are viewing the New NRA Basic Pistol class relative to the old one, and why they are getting the certification, so if people have a moment to tell me I'd be grateful.

As a newcomer to firearms I found the NRA Basic Pistol process so lacking in information that I opted instead to take GFH's Basic Pistol and then followed that up with some private instruction.

The NRA's eleven lessons over the course of eight hours in a web browser begs the question why when most ranges can qualify you for FL or UT CCW in a day. I also found the NRA's emphasis on CCW in the promo info to be salt in the wound of those of us here in the People's Republic. Lastly, there was the worry that after completing the online portion there would be difficulty scheduling the second part. 

That seems like mess. People will be discouraged.

Exactly. See above.