sinjin

PPQ 45

I've only read reviews, which were all good. I haven't held or shot one yet. It's at the top of our buy list with the next round of permits. That's based mainly on our experience with the 9mm PPQs, my 4" M1 and my wife's 5" M2.

good pistol. when i first took it out i was getting some failures to eject (say 2-3 every couple of mags), so make sure you give it a thorough cleaning before shooting. once i did that i have had exactly zero issues since (500+ rounds). trigger is about average with a fair reset, sights are good and it has excellent accuracy. it actually has quite low recoil, which is surprising considering it's a polymer gun with a plastic guide rod. you'd expect it to be along the lines of 45acp glocks, but the recoil on the ppq is quite a bit less somehow. in fact, i'd say it has the lowest felt recoil of any of my polymer 45s. fine gun and i'd gladly buy it again, particularly considering the price

• Like 1

good pistol. when i first took it out i was getting some failures to eject (say 2-3 every couple of mags), so make sure you give it a thorough cleaning before shooting. once i did that i have had exactly zero issues since (500+ rounds). trigger is about average with a fair reset, sights are good and it has excellent accuracy. it actually has quite low recoil, which is surprising considering it's a polymer gun with a plastic guide rod. you'd expect it to be along the lines of 45acp glocks, but the recoil on the ppq is quite a bit less somehow. in fact, i'd say it has the lowest felt recoil of any of my polymer 45s. fine gun and i'd gladly buy it again, particularly considering the price

I have one also and have the exact same opinion.

I'm buying one next week. Did extensive investigation (short of shooting one :-)) comparing to the some other great guns in this space and it was all good, including owners opinions (they had 9mm though). Most agree it has the best trigger of the striker-fired plastics, with the HK close behind just slightly.

I've got about 800 rounds through one over 11 trips.  My only polymer.  More malfunctions than any of my other semi autos (5+?), but nothing that I'm upset over.  I'm still think it is in break in mode and I haven't cleaned or lubed it other than before I first shot it.  

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and would do it over again if I had the choice.  It's a lot of fun to shoot, easy to shoot well, and has an excellent trigger.  The ergonomics are a great fit for me and it feels natural in the hands.

I think of my PPQ mostly as a range toy and wouldn't want it for competition.  I expect the reliability to improve as I shoot it more.  I do not think the model is inherently unreliable or less reliable, but for whatever reason my experience thus far is skewed.  

I've got about 800 rounds through one over 11 trips.  My only polymer.  More malfunctions than any of my other semi autos (5+?), but nothing that I'm upset over.  I'm still think it is in break in mode and I haven't cleaned or lubed it other than before I first shot it.  

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and would do it over again if I had the choice.  It's a lot of fun to shoot, easy to shoot well, and has an excellent trigger.  The ergonomics are a great fit for me and it feels natural in the hands.

I think of my PPQ mostly as a range toy and wouldn't want it for competition.  I expect the reliability to improve as I shoot it more.  I do not think the model is inherently unreliable or less reliable, but for whatever reason my experience thus far is skewed.  

Thanks for sharing...Surprised to hear about all the malfunctions, but it happens...What kind of ammo are you shooting?

The ergonomics are a great fit for me and it feels natural in the hands. 

I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet but have done quite a bit of research and have handled them in the shop, and I would agree with this!

Thanks for sharing...Surprised to hear about all the malfunctions, but it happens...What kind of ammo are you shooting?

AE, S&B, Fiocchi, all 230gr FMJ, and Remington Golden Sabre 185gr JHP. 

I had one failure to feed with the JHP.  

No failures with the American Eagle, but it was under 100 rounds.  

I have shot the same ammo through my Desert Eagle 1911 and haven't had any failures.  No failures in my S&W 625 either, but that would be limited to primers since it's a revolver.  All of the failures with the PPQ were either failure to feed or failure to extract.  

I need to clean it and shoot it some more.  I think it will settle in or at the very least I'll be able to figure out what ammo it likes.  

Good to hear some impressions as the long term reviews are just trickling out - I was considering one for my next 45ACP to compliment my M2 9mm, and to add another 45 as I have a 1911 - Currently at $560 shipped from GunBuyer and Buds which isn't bad at all - I was thinking to add a VP9 to the stable but given my luck they would come out with a VP45 after Shot Show next year which is what I'd really like to see

I'm buying one next week. Did extensive investigation (short of shooting one :-)) comparing to the some other great guns in this space and it was all good, including owners opinions (they had 9mm though). Most agree it has the best trigger of the striker-fired plastics, with the HK close behind just slightly.

How did that work out?

Here is my report folks:

Overall: This is one heck of a semi-poly “commander” size 45. My frame of references, whether I like it or not, are against 1911’s which I shoot about 90% of the time.

Let’s get the complaints out of the way first, minor as they are:

Not a fan of 3-dot sights. This is mostly shooter’s choice, and usually they work fine for me, but doing quick-head shots at 7 yards (the kind where you just “grab” the front sight and “go”), I found my subconscious was overloaded with “dots” (I usually only have one “dot” on the from sight whether fiber, or white or gold bead). After some time my brain dealt with it and the head-shots where just fine.

Although the ergonomics on the gun are fantastic, the grips are not very gripy at all. Maybe OK for a 9mm, maybe, but not a 45. Not sure what Walther was thinking here. I am not surprised, as  a visual had me suspecting this but I thought I do 1 shoot as is.

Now all the good stuff:

Most important: 100% reliable with one caveat, one out of battery due to the gun almost coming out of my hand near the beginning. OK, need to grip this tighter! And it was fine the rest of the shoot: 100 PMC-Ball (this is where I had the single OOB), 50 Golden Saber Hollow Point, 85 HST HP (235 total).

My set up was two ½ area ipsic steel plates and one ¼ area ipsic plate in the middle spread across the front of a 25 yard pit. I did my usual routine as I do with my 1911s. The gun shot great, and will shoot even greater with better grips. The trigger is really amazing. The staging takes a little getting use to because the trigger break can’t be more than 3#s –surprise break extraordinary. At 25 yards on the small plate I had about a 90% hit rate because the gun shifted in my hand after 5-6 rounds, and I suspect with better grips I will get that close to 100%. I am not a fan of a real tight grip, especially for precision and longer shots, so having to over tighten to compensate for the kinda slick handle is not a plus…Up close, my absolute favorite drill is El-presidente at 30 feet. The gun shot extremely well. Having a real-tight grip at this distance isn’t a big deal. No need to stage the trigger either, just pull right though, and the amazing trigger really shined here…I did some head-shots at 30’ also on the medium plate head, it was really nice and easy.…I did a bunch of other drills but this gives a flavor of the gun and its performance...Outside the effect because of the slipperiness of the grip, the recoil was amazingly tame for a semi-poly, likely because of the hefty slide and the great balance of the gun.

My remedy for the sights is just to black-out the rear dots with some flat-black. Easy fix, I just want to see 1 dot to grab the front sight.

My remedy for the slick-grip is either skate tape (works wonder’s on my other semi-poly’s [don’t need it on a steel 1911]), or the thin rubber wrap around grips made by Talon and made for the PPQ 45….

No this is not quite at the performance of a quality 1911, but in the 25 yard pit and in, it is dam close. And unlike my other semi-poly’s which I only shoot once a year, the PPQ will be seeing much more action and likely be in my standard rotation – it is that fun to shoot. This gun is the real deal in performance out of a 1911 commanderish size package.

Has anyone of the PPQ owner’s tried the Talon rubber grips?

C.A.

I haven't because I have a PPQ 9 but if I had a 45 I surely would get the rubber Talon grips ( I don't like the skateboard tape version) - I've heard it handles the cartridge well as far as recoil goes but could be a bit snappy - The guns are STUPID accurate out of the box though - my first range outing I shot it fine with the standard sights but have switched since to Trijicon HD's - I like the orange focus ring to draw my eye to the front sight as I'm cross dominant and it helps immensely -

Great range report, I love my PPQ 9, and if I didn't just pick up an uber rare Sig P320 45 Compact I might consider adding it down the line if I need another .45 (or the as yet rumored but unreleased HK VP45) -

I haven't because I have a PPQ 9 but if I had a 45 I surely would get the rubber Talon grips ( I don't like the skateboard tape version) - I've heard it handles the cartridge well as far as recoil goes but could be a bit snappy - The guns are STUPID accurate out of the box though - my first range outing I shot it fine with the standard sights but have switched since to Trijicon HD's - I like the orange focus ring to draw my eye to the front sight as I'm cross dominant and it helps immensely -

Great range report, I love my PPQ 9, and if I didn't just pick up an uber rare Sig P320 45 Compact I might consider adding it down the line if I need another .45 (or the as yet rumored but unreleased HK VP45) -

Thanks Buddy...I was going to buy the 320 sig in 9, but have to reconsider based on shooting the PPQ. How does the 320 trigger compare to that on the PPQ?

Thanks Buddy...I was going to buy the 320 sig in 9, but have to reconsider based on shooting the PPQ. How does the 320 trigger compare to that on the PPQ?

By pick up I mean going to my FFL this weekend - I had to get it transferred so not in my possession yet - The 320's in 9 I have felt, have had excellent triggers (and the frames are very nice gripping as well) and its really splitting hairs with the PPQ, a touch less light (I think the P320 comes in around 6lbs but feels lighter, my PPQ is probably at 4.8lbs and its not even broken in all the way), but super crisp break, no creep, etc - Honestly you can't go wrong with either - the PPQ/VP series from HK/Sig P320 seriously are all on the same wavelength - excellent feel in the hand,

Since you have the PPQ in 45 and the 320 in .45 is really tough to come by, I'd honestly say you couldn't go wrong with either, but that P320 Compact having 15+1 and being around $500 when you can find one (standard sights) is a great value - both pistols come with 2 mags and are about $35 for extras -

Price of ammo is a concern for me so I don't add .45ACP pistols like I would add 9mm's to my collection - This is only my 2nd .45 and I have 3 9mm's and probably will have a 4th in a few months - I don't do .40 or .357, I like to keep it simple with 9 and 45 -

I will definitely get some pics posted and some range impressions when I take it out, I'm scheduled to pick up on Saturday -

By pick up I mean going to my FFL this weekend - I had to get it transferred so not in my possession yet - The 320's in 9 I have felt, have had excellent triggers (and the frames are very nice gripping as well) and its really splitting hairs with the PPQ, a touch less light (I think the P320 comes in around 6lbs but feels lighter, my PPQ is probably at 4.8lbs and its not even broken in all the way), but super crisp break, no creep, etc - Honestly you can't go wrong with either - the PPQ/VP series from HK/Sig P320 seriously are all on the same wavelength - excellent feel in the hand,

Since you have the PPQ in 45 and the 320 in .45 is really tough to come by, I'd honestly say you couldn't go wrong with either, but that P320 Compact having 15+1 and being around $500 when you can find one (standard sights) is a great value - both pistols come with 2 mags and are about $35 for extras -

Price of ammo is a concern for me so I don't add .45ACP pistols like I would add 9mm's to my collection - This is only my 2nd .45 and I have 3 9mm's and probably will have a 4th in a few months - I don't do .40 or .357, I like to keep it simple with 9 and 45 -

I will definitely get some pics posted and some range impressions when I take it out, I'm scheduled to pick up on Saturday -

Thanks for the info Ricky! I may just get the 320 for variety, still have about 2 weeks to make my choice. Good luck with your new 320 BTW!

Thanks!  The nice part of the 320 is the modularity if you want to switch sizes - I am moving out of the PRNJ so I may get the Subcompact conversion for it and have a Subcompact 45 for carrying -

The P320's are not in huge supply so you may have to look at getting one online and transferred - there is a seller on GB that ships for free with no CC fees and has good stock of the 9mm's - I'd get the Compact 9mm personally as opposed to the Full, or Carry (both needing modified mags) -

Let me know if you get one, this is my first Sig so I'm excited -

However, for your PPQ (which I am in love with mine), I HIGHLY recommend spending the $140 on the Trijicon HD sights, they are a DIY install, no gunsmith (no tools for rear sight and just a Glock front sight tool for front), and getting your Talon Grips on the 45 - that will make it 100% more pleasurable to shoot for you

Thanks!  The nice part of the 320 is the modularity if you want to switch sizes - I am moving out of the PRNJ so I may get the Subcompact conversion for it and have a Subcompact 45 for carrying -

The P320's are not in huge supply so you may have to look at getting one online and transferred - there is a seller on GB that ships for free with no CC fees and has good stock of the 9mm's - I'd get the Compact 9mm personally as opposed to the Full, or Carry (both needing modified mags) -

Let me know if you get one, this is my first Sig so I'm excited -

However, for your PPQ (which I am in love with mine), I HIGHLY recommend spending the $140 on the Trijicon HD sights, they are a DIY install, no gunsmith (no tools for rear sight and just a Glock front sight tool for front), and getting your Talon Grips on the 45 - that will make it 100% more pleasurable to shoot for you

You will enjoy that sig for sure...

Rubber grips on the way...Not sure yet on the sights...What bugs me about the ones on the gun now are the dots on the rear, they can actually glare (to my eyes anyway) and make the sight alignment a tad distorted. My thinking is to black them out with flat paint and then shoot the gun again. I may even be getting a light/laser for the gun that 140$ can be applied there instead. Hard to beat a light-laser in the house.

What I'd really like to put on the gun is a gold bead or brass-bead up front (and again blacked-out rear), do you know if anyone makes these for the PPQ?

You will enjoy that sig for sure...

Rubber grips on the way...Not sure yet on the sights...What bugs me about the ones on the gun now are the dots on the rear, they can actually glare (to my eyes anyway) and make the sight alignment a tad distorted. My thinking is to black them out with flat paint and then shoot the gun again. I may even be getting a light/laser for the gun that 140$ can be applied there instead. Hard to beat a light-laser in the house.

What I'd really like to put on the gun is a gold bead or brass-bead up front (and again blacked-out rear), do you know if anyone makes these for the PPQ?

Yes - if you want a bead up front I believe you have to go with 10-8 Performance sights - They sell a blacked out rear as well - the rear would need to be pressed in - a free mod would be to sharpie out the dots on the rear sight, some don't like the amount of air but I actually like a wider notch for quicker sight acquistion

Light/laser is a good idea although I keep an LED torch next to my nightstand and pistol -

Had the PPQ back on the range yesterday.  Had two failure to eject where the empty brass remained in the barrel and the new round was trying to feed right behind it.  Both failures were experienced by friends of mine who were shooting the PPQ at the time.  Had about 50 rounds through it.  

After the last cleaning I may have overdone it on the oil so I'm going to strip it, clean it again, and just use a dab of oil spread around on the critical areas.  I'm not convinced it needs a trip back home just yet.  

Had the PPQ back on the range yesterday.  Had two failure to eject where the empty brass remained in the barrel and the new round was trying to feed right behind it.  Both failures were experienced by friends of mine who were shooting the PPQ at the time.  Had about 50 rounds through it.  

After the last cleaning I may have overdone it on the oil so I'm going to strip it, clean it again, and just use a dab of oil spread around on the critical areas.  I'm not convinced it needs a trip back home just yet.  

Experienced shooters?  Limp wristing?