Bully

Anyone Wanna School a Newbie...

...On how to hold a single action?

I'm getting close to closing a deal on a SA revolver and am wondering how to hold the pistol to make it a pleasant experience. I want to take advantage of the "roll" that SA shooters talk about to help absorb recoil. I would also like to learn to shoot it both single hand and double hand.

Caliber is 44Mag. 7.5" barrel. I will be shooting full house loads thru it.

I'm no expert in shooting SA revolvers but I can tell you what works for me. One of the things you need to do to shoot good groups is have consistency in your grip. The only way I found to do this is by curling your little finger under the bottom of the grip. Think about it, if you let the gun "roll" in your hand you will be constantly readjusting your grip. If you keep your little finger under the bottom of the grip, you will maintain your grip after recoil or after cock in when shooting one handed.

Shooting with two hands is the same but use your support hand to do all the cocking. Helps to maintain your grip.

Don't depend on the "roll" to absorb recoil. Let your arms absorb recoil.

This works for me. Someone who does a lot of Cowboy Action might have better advice.

The loads that cowboy action shooters use are very low powered with no recoil.  The 44mag in a single action will recoil strongly with 44 magnum loads.  I have two Ruger SBH in 44 magnum and they are a handful compared to the 38/357.  45LC is really easy to shoot compared to the 44 mag.

The loads that cowboy action shooters use are very low powered with no recoil.  The 44mag in a single action will recoil strongly with 44 magnum loads.  I have two Ruger SBH in 44 magnum and they are a handful compared to the 38/357.  45LC is really easy to shoot compared to the 44 mag.

44 special however is a total joy to shoot in a SBH

• Like 1

44 special however is a total joy to shoot in a SBH

^^^^^THIS^^^^

I buy 240gr. RNFP Cowboy Loads made by Magtech in Brazil.  In a 4" test barrel they fly at approx. 760 fps thus yielding a Power Factor of 182.4, but in my 8 3/8" Model 29 .44 Magnum they fly FASTER than that due to 100% increase in barrel length :) .  USPSA "Major Power Factor" has a floor limit of 165, so .44 Spl Cowboy Loads make "Major", weighing 10 grains more than .45 ACP BALL ammo and going about 60 fps slower.  .45 BALL pf is about 188-190 by comparison, but the "feel" of the recoil is "harder" because of the weighted slide coming back....  

Years ago I used to compete at Old Bridge's Indoor Action USPSA Practice Match.  Often I'd place first & last in the Wheelie Division.  During such a Match, one night a "Stage" was thus:  each Shooter had to draw their loaded sidearm and engage a threat target from 7 yards.  The idea was to due it in under 2.5 seconds from a "surrender start" and pump at least two rounds into the threat.  I heard the "BEEEEEP" and got a perfect draw.  2.68 seconds later (I heard the second BEEEEP but couldn't stop the fifth shot at the 2.5 sec. mark) there were FIVE huge holes in the threat:  3-Alpha's, 2-Charlie's and a Delta.  The 8 3/8" Magnum was in a $20 Uncle Mike's RH belt holster, so that's a LONNNNNNNNNG draw to be sure, lol!  Surrender start and PUMP LEAD as fast as you can.  Arthritis and middle age have taken their toll, but I still have that memory---and I still have friends alive that witnessed it too, lol!

Rosey's Tip for the Day:  To "get the LEAD OUT" of a .44 or .45 hand gun cylinder, try using a slightly used .50 caliber brush.  Works wonders in half the time, eliminating the problem of a cylinder's chamber leading-up while using Spls (that have shorter cases).