Sign in to follow this  
always_an_eagle

What constitutes a pistol grip?

I just got a quick question: what constitutes a pistol grip under NJ law? I'm building a AR 15 carbine and since a AR 15 has a detachable magazine, I know it can only have one evil feature. Pretty much all the ARs I seen in Jersey has the pistol grip, which counts for the one evil feature. A flash hider or a collapsible stock is not allowed if the semi auto rifle with a detachable magazine has a pistol grip. In New York and in California, in order to have a detachable magazine in a semi auto rifle, the rifle needs to be featureless (I'm only guessing all you know about featureless rifles.

So now let's get down to gravy.

If I decide not to put a conventional AR-15 pistol grip and instead to put something like a hammerhead grip, AR spur grip or even put a fin on a conventional AR pistol grip, can I have an other evil feature like a collapsible stock or a flash hider? I'm just asking and have not started to build my AR, that will be further down the road when I have the money for all the parts. Thank you for the help.

If I decide not to put a conventional AR-15 pistol grip and instead to put something like a hammerhead grip, AR spur grip or even put a fin on a conventional AR pistol grip, can I have an other evil feature like a collapsible stock or a flash hider?

IMO, yes.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

IMO, yes.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

I think so too but the law is kind of vague. Different states have different definitions on what constitutes a pistol grip. It would be nice to have a collapsible stock for a rifle to suit different shooters.

The NJAC in listing "Pistol Grip" as an evil feature defines it in the listing as follows: (2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The NJAC in listing "Pistol Grip" as an evil feature defines it in the listing as follows: (2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So an AR spur grip is still a pistol grip under NJ law?

The NJAC in listing "Pistol Grip" as an evil feature defines it in the listing as follows: (2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

Does the spur grip really protrude?  I know there's a little bit towards the back but that's away from the action, not beneath the action...

Being limited to one evil feature with a AR I stick to a pistol grip. It's the evil feature with the most utility.

JMO

I agree, the pistol grip is the most "useful" (imo) evil feature of the AR design, but how about a collapsible stock? Different shooters of different sizes can shoot a rifle better if it fits them better. That's what I'm trying to explore here.

You could use that ugly NY style stock!

Perhaps, but I'm not sure which stock are we talking about. Even if the said "ugly NY style stock" is a fixed stock, then the only other evil feature that could go on the rifle is a flash hider, and I'm not interested at all with flash hiders if I got rid of the pistol grip.

Just pin the stock at every detent through the same hole. Then push the pin out and adjust if you reeallly need to adjust it. I have mine pinned at the 2nd notch, no prob for me or my short wife to fire it. You might be able to add a butt pad too.

It would suck trying to reload/etc with that small grip.

"Pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes

conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the firearm to be held and fired
with one hand.

keep in mind... IF you run into an issue.. and need to argue the point.. you will not be arguing it with the police.. hunters.. or your local gun club friends..

the weapon in question will be paraded in front of a jury.. as the prosecutor reads the description.. and then demonstrates why it is believed to be a pistol grip.. it will then be up to your defense attorney to explain to a jury made up at least partially by people that may or may not have ever fired a gun.. or possibly ever even held a gun.. or worse.. people that are of the opinion that you should not have "assault weapons"... those are the individuals you will need convince that your evil black rifle is totally within NJ compliance.. 

risk VS reward