gabonk

How long are digital fingerprints good for?

Was at our local police station today on an unrelated materand inquired about getting more P2P's. I was asked how long ago I hadmy prints done. My anolog version was done in 93 and I did the digitial version in February this year. They said I need to go online and pay an additional fee (like $20). I would have thought once a digitial copy is on file it would be good to go? Is there such a thing as a shelf life for fingerprints?

I think the fee is for the background check ($18.00 + $2.00 "convenience" fee). IIRC, my PD told me that if I allowed more then 2 years to pass between P2P's I would have to get fingerprinted again at Sagem Morpho (for their usual exorbitant fee). This motivated me to regularly apply for P2P's, whether I am going to use them or not.

I think the fee is for the background check ($18.00 + $2.00 "convenience" fee). IIRC, my PD told me that if I allowed more then 2 years to pass between P2P's I would have to get fingerprinted again at Sagem Morpho (for their usual exorbitant fee). This motivated me to regularly apply for P2P's, whether I am going to use them or not.

The requirement to be re-fingerprinted is something the CLEO of your municipality has instituted, it is not in the statute. That only requires fingerprints for the initial application for an FPID or P2P. After that a non-criminal background check (now on-line, previously form SP-212A) is required for subsequent applications. Fingerprints don't change. I just wonder what the local PD's cut of the fingerprinting charge is.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NJSP only wants your fingerprints once. I've been in the same place for the past 15 years but have changed my address in NJ 7 or 8 times and never was fingerprinted again since 1971.

Getting printed again is totally up to the CLEO where you apply. If you think about it being printed again is the only sure fire way for the CLEO to be sure you are who you say you are. Not that I support it, just understand why they want it done again.

Your fingerprints don't really change. I'm no expert on the matter but have been told if you acquire a scar on your finger it makes it easier to identify your print by someone who knows what they're talking about.

I was fingerprinted back in 1987 by the Vernon TWP PD.  I went to the NJSP for a change of address and a couple of P2Ps back in 2014 and they did not ask me to be re finger printed.  

This whole deal is waste of time, money and resources.  But as long as its your time, money and resources, they are ok.  

Finger prints dont change. If someone were to fake the ids or they are not who they say they are, they got to be the silliest crook ever to walk into PD and apply for pistol permits or change of address on FPID.  Apparently they dont know about cheap deals around the corner in Newark and Camden. 

Some PDs waste your resources by requesting FPs, other PDs waste your resources and request "name check" everytime. Other PDs request "name check" every so often (year or two years).  Other PDs never request even "name check" as long as your last permit was within certain period (duh!). 

None of this makes any sense.  

If they do insist, just tell them Dick Tracy said that they are not needed and you are good to go! :onthequiet:

Now if they never heard of Dick Tracy, they are way too young.

:tommy::vinsent:

Digital finger prints have a finite life because the electrons tend to degrade over time, oh wait that can't be right.  Finger prints have a finite life because the ones on your fingers change over time, oh wait that can't be right either.  Finger prints have a finite life because the state wants to make more money and give you more grief - well at least that one is plausible.  :)

• Like 1

The requirement to be re-fingerprinted is something the CLEO of your municipality has instituted, it is not in the statute. That only requires fingerprints for the initial application for an FPID or P2P. After that a non-criminal background check (now on-line, previously form SP-212A) is required for subsequent applications. Fingerprints don't change. I just wonder what the local PD's cut of the fingerprinting charge is.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There seem to be a lot of new Explorers in the HTPD lot.  ;-)

Doesn't being required to be refingerprinted violate the no other forms clause in the statute?

No, they are not "adding to" it is required in the statute. Subsequent fingerprinting is at the discretion of the CLEO.