Sign in to follow this  
KMA4626

multiple firearm permits

ok so i just moved to nj and im currently filling out my firearms id and pistol permit application. ive got my references all sorted out and what not, but my question is whether i would be less likely to get approved if i apply for several pistol permits? i figure with all of these hoops i have to jump through id prefer to get multiple and buy like 2 or 3 on a credit card and pay it off rather than have to apply and wait everytime I want one. in anyones experience have you be denied for this? or had to wait longer than average?

You can have as many handgun permits to purchase (P2P) as you desire (don't let the PD tell you differently). You can only use one every 30 days (31 actually - day after purchase is day one and you can purchase again on day thirty-one), unless you file for an exemption under one of the allowed categories.

P2P's are good for 90 days from the date of issue and, at the discretion of the CLEO, may be renewed for another 90 days (180 days total from day of issue).

The number you ask for will have no impact on being approved or not - or the time to process the application.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Since each permit is $2 (after you pay for the fingerprinting and other fees), I always apply for 3 at a time.    I've only used all 3 once but I figure that if I see a deal somewhere, it would be nice to be able to have a permit in hand.

Handgun purchase permits are shall issue - they must give them to you unless they find a reason that you are ineligible to own firearms, in that event you wouldn't get any permits or an FPID card. So, get as many permits as you think you will use in a six month period (considering you need to wait 30 days between purchases).

You might want to get more than you actually need just in case one gets lost, mutilated (the dog eats it), etc.

This, or if one of the purchases are defective and need to be replaced. Always get more then what you're looking to use.

You might want to get more than you actually need just in case one gets lost, mutilated (the dog eats it), etc.

For instance: You buy a S&W handgun. There's a problem with it. You send it back to S&W to repair. S&W decides the 'fix' is to replace the frame. The handgun they send back has a different serial number than the one you sent. Now, you need another permit to pick it up, since it's 'new'.

That was a lesson I learned. Therefore the last handgun I ordered had to wait for the next round of permits to come in, which ended up being five months.

It is sad to have expired permits sitting around taunting you, isn't it?

Last 2 times I got permits, I used 3 of 4, and then next batch was 1 of 3 or 4. Was involved in an accident that totaled my car, that happened between applying for the permits + paying for a gun, and actually getting the permits.

Im holding off on applying for more because if I get em, I'll use em...