BlueLineFish

Clay Gun

Shot for the first time ever at Lehigh valley. Awesome time. Want to get a dedicated clay gun that would work for most forms of clay sports. I want a semi auto for now. Shot my buddies a400 xcel today alond with a remington 1100 and a low end o/u. None were really comfortable for me as far as getting a sight picture. Planning on getting a trap barrel for my 930 and see how that goes. Then looking at cz 712 target for a bit of a step up with my ultimate goal of a Benelli ethos. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Shotgun FIT is the FIRST Priority.  Everything else is secondary (including LOOKS--unless you need THAT to fall back on after you keep missing birds :) ).  Adjusting LOP w/ spacers, bending the stock for proper sight alignment, etc. are all in consideration.  One simply doesn't "buy a trap barrel w/ high vent rib" and automatically adjust to lead the birds AND do so trying to aim UNDER where they aren't yet.  It takes extensive practice to accomplish this and most shooters can't switch back to field guns effectively.

A guy who knows how to hit with his scattergun doesn't need a crutch, for the SKILLS are already in their brains and everything else is on automatic.  Think Col. Jeff Cooper, only with a scattergun instead of a .45.........

• Like 1

Shotgun FIT is the FIRST Priority.  Everything else is secondary (including LOOKS--unless you need THAT to fall back on after you keep missing birds :)

I'm going to have to just go ahead and agree with you there Smokin50.  I had been shopping around for about a year, not very seriously though, for an O/U to get back into trap shooting.  One day I was at Salomon's on other business and asked Gene what he had in the way of "affordable" O/U's.  He handed me the Citori Lightning and I immediately knew it was the one.  The LOP and balance just happened to be right for me, but only by coincidence.  The first time out with it, I shot a 16, 19 and 21 respectively.  Not fantastic scores by any stretch but very good scores for someone who had not shot trap in 20 years. 

Figure out your budget, then go out to some LGSs and get some scatter guns in your hands.  When you have the right one for you, you will know.

• Like 1

I bought the BERETTA A300 OUTLANDER last year it was on sale & with a $100 rebate couldn't go wrong. Since then have almost 5000 rounds trouble free super easy maintenance , reliable , still tight , I bought the synthetic which is adjustable.

I plan on hitting a bunch of places to shoulder a few different kinds. Sadly my budget ususally goes out the window. I really love the look of the Benelli ethos but I'm not making a 2000 invesment right off the bat abd definitely not without shouldering it

• Like 1

Things to add to buying thoughts. A composite stocked gun has limited adjustments. Shims, Adjustable comb, and in the case of the 1100 synthetic competition an adjustable butt plate. Thing is most often you will get the gun close to proper fit. Which will do for most informal shooters. But A good shooter will get to the point where he is outshooting the gun. Then you need stock work. That's where A wood stock becomes useful. IE bending or twisting.

My O/U looks like A bent branch if you look at it from end to end. But it fits me. when I put it up it is where it needs to be without A second thought.  If anybody has shot Rock Mountain they know the course. I went there for the first time last Thurs. figured A 50/100 would be good with never seeing the course. walked off with A 85/100. Needless to say I was happy.

That's what A gun that fits you will give you any given day.

Now if you want A good all around semi auto at A budget price. I would suggest the Remington 1100 Competition synthetic. I have one that is my fun gun when we just load up to shoot clays or trap.in A relaxed situation.

Good luck in your clay shooting, Just remember it can be addicting.

• Like 1

Shotgun FIT is the FIRST Priority. Everything else is secondary (including LOOKS--unless you need THAT to fall back on after you keep missing birds :) ).

This ^^^^

My father went out and purchased a Beretta over under because "It's the best." He couldn't hit clays with it though. I'd hit them fine with a Winchester Super X Marine Defender despite the short barrel, as the gun happened to be sized better for me.

• Like 1

Looking at a beretta a300 and a franchi affinity. Anybody have either of those

Go for the A400 you'll be happier. The only downside to a semi is some places only allow OU guns. Like Hudson Guild. I have about 6 over unders, and I love the feel over a semi personally. At least for clay shooting.

True. I'm not buying without shouldering one. My buddy had a real nice a400. Shoots like a dream just didn't fit me at all. Couldn't get a comfortable sight picture.

It's adjustable, comes with a few different spacers between the stock and receiver to help fit the shooter.

I plan on hitting a bunch of places to shoulder a few different kinds. Sadly my budget ususally goes out the window. I really love the look of the Benelli ethos but I'm not making a 2000 invesment right off the bat abd definitely not without shouldering it

This isn't all my shotguns, I ran out of table for the picture.

Come to a shootout, and I'll bring a bunch you can try. daf3da197c6059d0871e3a4859130b8e.jpg

• Like 1

True. I'm not buying without shouldering one. My buddy had a real nice a400. Shoots like a dream just didn't fit me at all. Couldn't get a comfortable sight picture.

^^Key component for your purchase.

Any of the "B" guns would be optimal without breaking the bank, and they are durable and will last. Just keep in mind that trap guns are a specific breed, designed to impact the shot pattern above the POA so that the clay is visible. Of course, adjustable buttplates and combs can adjust for this too. On some shotguns barrels and ribs are designed in relation to the comb height to place the pattern high. The more sophisticated trap guns allow you to adjust the point of impact by an adjustment on the barrels. (Yes, sophisticated and expensive.) 

A sporting clays gun would be a good all-around performer and could serve well in all three disciplines.  

• Like 1

Come to think of it, there was a guy at Gene's last month looking to sell a Kreighoff trap gun.  I believe he was asking only $17,000 for it.  Thousands in savings, a real bargain.

No, they are not cheap. 

Then again, these are premier target guns, not that I have one.....yet.  In a Krieghoff you'll get a gun with a lower barrel trigger that breaks at a crisp 3.5 lbs., an upper barrel trigger that breaks at 4 lbs., barrels that are properly regulated, bores with a mirror-finish, an action that's hand-fitted, a bank vault lockup, properly timed ejectors, some nice engraving if desired, a decent slab of walnut, and if taken care of, probably won't need to see a service technician until its first 100,000 rounds. (Not that a Browning or Beretta O/U couldn't deliver the same service life.) 

You do get what you pay for if this is your criteria. 

• Like 3

Come to think of it, there was a guy at Gene's last month looking to sell a Kreighoff trap gun.  I believe he was asking only $17,000 for it.  Thousands in savings, a real bargain.

All according to grade wood, model and condition, it probably was A bargain. Custom built stocks can run up to 5 - 7 grand depending on the wood you choose.

• Like 1