Not sure what to do to confirm that my AR is NJ legal. I've read so much and it's just not coming together for me. I just want to get rid of this thing so I don't have to worry about it but in NJ I don't even know how to do that.

I'm from NC where guns are welcomed and I even open carried there. Here it's such a different story.

If anyone can direct me to somthing that can guide me to what makes an AR legal here or illegal that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to our forum NCGUNGIRL!  WOW, you chose a good topic!

Kalashnikov style rifles are basically allowed/not allowed (a long story) but can't have AK-47 as the model number, no folding or adjustable stock.

Magazines must be 15 rounds or less. The more learned here will surely chime in on what I left out!

What model AK is it?

15 round max for all semi-auto magazines

No bayo lug

No flash hider

No collapsible,folding, telescoping, or under folding stock

Cannot have AK47 stamped on the receiver

http://www.gtpd.org/pdf%20files/New%20Jersey%20Firearms%20Laws.pdf

2C:39-1w

w. "Assault firearm" means:

(1) The following firearms:

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as

the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic

firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic

firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900 CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100

types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-

automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns G3SA type

Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93,

HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic

firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type

firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-

57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-

automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk.

(2) Any firearm manufactured under any

designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above.

(3) A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a pistol grip, or a folding stock.

(4) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds.

(5) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault firearm, or any combination of parts from which an assault firearm may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

... snip

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

a folding or telescoping stock;

a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

a bayonet mount;

a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

a grenade launcher;

Snip...

If the model (AR15) is on the receiver it is not legal. What is the model #? I.E. AM-15 is okay.

Only if it is a Colt AR-15. All others are fine (but there are none).

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Only if it is a Colt AR-15. All others are fine (but there are none).

Thanks. I should have included "Colt" in my statement as only they can use AR-15. 

Has the heat calmed down for you yet?  Being in the corner store I would hate to have to pay your AC bill!

For Semi autos, it's time to play the evil features game.  You cannot have more than 1.

• Pistol Grip (All normal AR's have them so usually this is your 1)
  • Collapsible/Adjustable stock (Pin it in place)
  • Bayonet Lug (Grind it off or grind it down so it is inoperable)
  • Threaded Barrel
  • Flash Hider

The Threaded Barrel/Flash hider one you can eliminate by getting a muzzle brake and getting it pinned/welded in place.  Pin the stock and grind off the bayo lug and you're good.

... grind off the bayo lug and you're good.

Remember, you should remove the ENTIRE bayonet lug, not just the ears that secure the bayonet.

The statute does not make a distinction between a functional lug and one that is just neutered by having its ears removed.

It's a fairly quick operation with a Dremel and cutting wheel.

One vertical cut up from the bottom, then complete the removal with a horizontal cut to excise both halves of the remainder.

Birchwood Casey makes a black touchup pen to cover the now-shiny metal, or you can cold blue it if you wish.

Good explanation with one correction.

For Semi autos with detachable magazines, it's time to play the evil features game. You cannot have more than 1.

• Pistol Grip (All normal AR's have them so usually this is your 1)
  • Collapsible/Adjustable stock (Pin it in place)
  • Bayonet Lug (Grind it off or grind it down so it is inoperable)
  • Threaded Barrel
  • Flash Hider
The Threaded Barrel/Flash hider one you can eliminate by getting a muzzle brake and getting it pinned/welded in place. Pin the stock and grind off the bayo lug and you're good.

Not sure what to do to confirm that my AR is NJ legal. I've read so much and it's just not coming together for me. I just want to get rid of this thing so I don't have to worry about it but in NJ I don't even know how to do that.

I'm from NC where guns are welcomed and I even open carried there. Here it's such a different story.

If anyone can direct me to somthing that can guide me to what makes an AR legal here or illegal that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing your AR is not NJ legal.  

does it have a flash hider?  Is said muzzle device pinned and welded?  Do you have a telescoping and / or collapsible stock?  Do you have a bayonet lug?

Laws aside a real AR has at least a pistol grip and detachable mag.  Thus, you cannot have any of the other features mentioned.  Oh, and it can't say AR15 on it. Welcome to New Jersikstan, go back to NC if you  can for reasons well other than just the 2a gun grabbers that live here.  

This is confusing.

First Step:, NJ bans some guns by name.  Somebody posted that long list above.  If you own one of these specific models it is illegal.  For example, the Colt AR15 is on the list and is therefore illegal.  But...an identical Stag-15 or Bushmaster MX15 is legal - even though it's basically the same gun it's not the exact model listed.

But NJ also says that any firearm that is "substantially identical" to one of the listed firearms is also illegal.  Since "substantially identical" is a nonsense term, the courts said that's not good enough.  The told the NJAG that he needed to define the term more clearly.  He came up with something completely ridiculous and far from the intent of the law but the courts okayed it.  He came up with a list of 5 evil features.  

Second Step:  If it's not on the banned list, it might still be illegal.  If it is semi-auto and has a detachable magazine it can only have one "evil feature".  More than one evil feature makes it illegal.  The evil features are:

• Pistol Grip
  • Folding or Adjustable stock
  • Bayonet Mount
  • Flash Hider Threaded Barrel
  • Grenade Launcher

But there are ways to overcome these too.   A pistol grip on an AR is a given so you already have one evil feature, you can't have any others.

An adjustable stock needs to be drilled and pinned so it can't adjust.

A Bayonet mount just gets the lugs ground off with an angle grinder.

A flash hider is removed and replaced with a muzzle break.  But, since a threaded barrel is also a no-no, you have to have the muzzle break pinned and welded or welded to the barrel.  It can't be removable to expose the deadly threads.

It's unlikely you have a grenade launcher so you're probably okay on that one.

The actual letter from the NJAG to the prosecutor's offices explaining this crazy stuff can be found here:   http://themaintenanceguy.com/gfimages/definition-nj-assault-weapons.pdf

Remember, you should remove the ENTIRE bayonet lug, not just the ears that secure the bayonet.

The statute does not make a distinction between a functional lug and one that is just neutered by having its ears removed.

It's a fairly quick operation with a Dremel and cutting wheel.

One vertical cut up from the bottom, then complete the removal with a horizontal cut to excise both halves of the remainder.

Birchwood Casey makes a black touchup pen to cover the now-shiny metal, or you can cold blue it if you wish.

I disagree. Shaving the ears off a bayonet lug renders the bayonet lug useless in which it is no longer a bayonet lug.

Good luck convincing that anti-gun jury of your position after they've been directed otherwise by the anti-gun judge sitting on your case.

Now, why won't you spend the extra five minutes to remove 'that hunk of metal' from your evil black rifle??

If a bayonet does not stay on it, it's not a bayonet lug, just a hunk of metal on the barrel.

I disagree. Shaving the ears off a bayonet lug renders the bayonet lug useless in which it is no longer a bayonet lug.

Because you are not getting popped for that in NJ.  It will be an add on charge to something else and that stupid little chunk of metal will be the least of your worries.  Who cares they will all be banned by Gov. Murphy by 2/2018.  I would spend more time worrying where you are moving them to cause there will be none of them in Jersey.

Show me one case  where the bayo lug was the leading cause for possession of an "assault:" weapon.

• Like 1

Because you are not getting popped for that in NJ.  It will be an add on charge to something else and that stupid little chunk of metal will be the least of your worries.  Who cares they will all be banned by Gov. Murphy by 2/2018.  I would spend more time worrying where you are moving them to cause there will be none of them in Jersey.

Show me one case  where the bayo lug was the leading cause for possession of an "assault:" weapon.

NJ will make NYS look gun friendly when Governor Murphy takes over.  Plus with all the increase in your taxes there'll no money left for guns--that is unless you're a criminal who doesn't pay taxes and gets their guns illegally.  They'll be just fine.

Add-on charge or not, it doesn't matter once you're in the system.

You're along for the ride.

Who would have thought that the only conviction left standing in the case of Brian Aitken would have been for transporting hollow points, an add-on charge.

So I ask again, why, for f*cks sake, would you not spend the extra 10 minutes with the dremel (which you've already used to lop the locking ears off) to remove what you call "the useless hunk of metal" knowing that it (along with a piece of duct tape or even a tie-wrap) will certainly be still be seen as a bayonet lug when you come before the court on some stupid (like a Lautenberg "He hollered at me, he threw popcorn at me, I'm afraid, and HE HAS GUNS!) complaint?????

Remember, this is the PRNJ, where the nail that sticks up gets pounded DOWN.

Good luck convincing that anti-gun jury of your position after they've been directed otherwise by the anti-gun judge sitting on your case.

Now, why won't you spend the extra five minutes to remove 'that hunk of metal' from your evil black rifle??

has anyone ever been prosecuted for having that "hunk of metal" on their rifle?