always_an_eagle

Buying frenzies during the election season

This is my first presidential election as a gun owner in New Jersey. The last election I wasn't old enough to vote or be a gun owner but I'm old enough now to do both and I am (I'm registered to vote and I hold a NJ FPID). I heard of magazines, AR's and AK's and ammo selling like hot cakes and gun shops out of stock and empty with these things. Now I did buy an AR lower I'm planning to build as a rifle and Hi Point 995ts carbine. I have picked up some NJ legal hex mags for my other AR I have and I want to get a few more boxes of ammo for the guns I shoot (22, 20 gauge, 12 gauge, 5.56 NATO and 9mm).

The question is this, if a cadidate who is 2nd amendment hostile wins, will AR-15 parts such as lower parts kits, buffer tubes, uppers, etc be gone with the wind with all the other things like I mention? And when does everything settle after the election buying craze?

There is no question that .22, 9mm and 5.56 in particular will fly off the shelves if Hillary is elected. If you've been eyeing anything in particular you may want to purchase sooner rather than later. Its not like ammo and rifle parts go bad. There are plenty of deals to be had, especially with the Columbus day deals. I would recommend you buy ammo by the case rather than the box though. Most people have been buying a bit extra to avoid getting slammed by the next potential panic.

• Like 1

There is no question that .22, 9mm and 5.56 in particular will fly off the shelves if Hillary is elected. If you've been eyeing anything in particular you may want to purchase sooner rather than later. Its not like ammo and rifle parts go bad. There are plenty of deals to be had, especially with the Columbus day deals. I would recommend you buy ammo by the case rather than the box though. Most people have been buying a bit extra to avoid getting slammed by the next potential panic.

But would parts to build a AR rifle (not magazines) be sold out?

I'm watching this debate with Trump and Hillary and I'm on the edge of my seat.

Everything will be scarce, but not to the extent of post Newtown

NOT YET.

ETA: No tea leaves necessary.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

With your experience as a ffl and gun shop, what guns, ammo, parts etc are the most available during the gun buying craze?

Everything will be scarce, but not to the extent of post Newtown.

NOT YET.

ETA: No tea leaves necessary.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

True. I've been spending $ on bulk(ish) buys of parts and materials when I find deals. The whole 2 is 1 and 1 is none thing, maybe more.

With your experience as a ffl and gun shop, what guns, ammo, parts etc are the most available during the gun buying craze?

Its generally fairly common sense. Popular Ammo will be overpriced/hard to find, as will popular firearms; people are already buying up 'evil black rifles' that they are worried may be banned in the next ~4 years, or simply impossible to find. Naturally the same goes for Uppers, Lowers, and various parts necessary to assemble rifles.

There would also be a shortage of bullets, powder, etc. for reloading.

Again, this is assuming Hillary is elected and we see something to the extent of what happened during the last craze. It might not be as bad as last time and we may just see some delays/backordered products. who knows.

This is my first presidential election as a gun owner in New Jersey. The last election I wasn't old enough to vote or be a gun owner but I'm old enough now to do both and I am (I'm registered to vote and I hold a NJ FPID). I heard of magazines, AR's and AK's and ammo selling like hot cakes and gun shops out of stock and empty with these things. Now I did buy an AR lower I'm planning to build as a rifle and Hi Point 995ts carbine. I have picked up some NJ legal hex mags for my other AR I have and I want to get a few more boxes of ammo for the guns I shoot (22, 20 gauge, 12 gauge, 5.56 NATO and 9mm).

The question is this, if a cadidate who is 2nd amendment hostile wins, will AR-15 parts such as lower parts kits, buffer tubes, uppers, etc be gone with the wind with all the other things like I mention? And when does everything settle after the election buying craze?

Let the tin foil hat people do what they want. Nothing happened when Y2K hit (I used to work with some hard core red-necks back then) and nothing happened when Obama was elected (twice) and nothing is going to happen when Hillary is elected. If anything the thread responses are humorous. I think you should buy a firearm because it's something you really want not because of who's in an elected office, but that's my opinion. I wonder what's going to happen when the next governor of NJ is elected?

:popcorn:  

• Like 1

Nothing happened when Y2K hit (I used to work with some hard core red-necks back then) and nothing happened when Obama was elected (twice) and nothing is going to happen when Hillary is elected. If anything the thread responses are humorous.

Nothing happened unless you wanted to buy a gun and they were scarce, and nothing happen unless you wanted to shoot .22 and it basically gone for nearly a year, nothing happened unless you were ok with paying more then twice as much for .223 and 9mm for a year.

Maybe laws change maybe they don't but that has nothing to do with the scarcity that you might experience.

Just my position on this question.   If I want or need A specific gun, I tend to go and buy it. I load 90% of all my ammo, which I have A substantial amount of components always on hand. I buy when I find good deals. That's how I have done it for 30 years. Yep I'm an old man.

That said, The best thing about so called buying frenzies for me is the buyers remorse after the craze is gone.

That's my buying time and usually the best time for it, As people start dumping what they bought "just because".

Best of luck in your decision, and good for you on getting out there to vote and exercise your rights.

• Like 1

The last Clinton president signed the AWB that was in effect for 10 years.

If there's one part on the AR that you should tuck away, it's a complete bolt carrier group.  Very few can make them, the daily production rate is very low, and the OEM back order time for these from the tooling companies is unreal. 

Stripped complete lowers are not a big deal since the 80% and jigs have really improved. 

• Like 1

Let the tin foil hat people do what they want. Nothing happened when Y2K hit (I used to work with some hard core red-necks back then) and nothing happened when Obama was elected (twice) and nothing is going to happen when Hillary is elected. If anything the thread responses are humorous. I think you should buy a firearm because it's something you really want not because of who's in an elected office, but that's my opinion. I wonder what's going to happen when the next governor of NJ is elected?

:popcorn:  

Nothing happened when Obama was elected except that people were paying 13 and 15 cents and even 20 cents a round for 22lr if they could pry it away from someone smart enough to buy it for 4-5 cents. Store shelves were bare for two years. People were lining up at 5:30 in the morning to get their limit of 500 rounds. Soviet style scarcity.

Nothing happened except that the greatest surge in gun buying in American history occurred. 

Perhaps in Obama's case the perception was worse than his actions but make no mistake: Hillary has stated she will allow frivolous lawsuits and criminal prosecutions against gun/ammo makers and dealers. 

If you knew that Exxon and Phillips Petroleum would be closed down by the government would you buy or sell energy companies beforehand?

Nothing is going to happen on a federal level. What you need to worry about is who is elected in NJ.

Maybe, but that won't stop being from panic buying and assholes like CTD from marking a case of 5.56 to $999 again.

Killary caused me to buy another ak

Just last night I was telling my wife that I have a wood furniture DDI 47S, and I need a polymer furniture one as well. HA!

lowers seem to be sold out online at a lot of retailers. 

PK90 has lowers if you need.  Just picked up 2 anderson lowers the other day.

Plenty of losers in the LGS for 10-15 bucks more than online but no transfer fees.

Plenty of losers in the LGS for 10-15 bucks more than online but no transfer fees.

LOL yup plenty of losers at the LGS

Rob - have you seen any anderson (or any plain jane mil-spec) lowers lately?  At the time I ordered mine from paul, I couldn't find them anywhere local or online.  I could use another one

Rob - have you seen any anderson (or any plain jane mil-spec) lowers lately? At the time I ordered mine from paul, I couldn't find them anywhere local or online. I could use another one

Middlebrook had stag, aero and Anderson last I checked

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Rob - have you seen any anderson (or any plain jane mil-spec) lowers lately? At the time I ordered mine from paul, I couldn't find them anywhere local or online. I could use another one

I'm confused by what you mean by losers but I've seen: Stag, Spikes, Black Rain, CMMG, Seekins, Noveske, Wilson Combat, Aero Precision and a few others I can't remember.

That was just Ottomanelli's and RTSP. Prices ranged from 115 bucks to about 350 for fancier billet stuff.