Sign in to follow this  
YankeeSC

.45 ACP Competition class

I only shoot reloads; cast bullets in the .45, and I follow Glock's recommendation to only use plated or jacketed bullets in their polygonal barrels... So my .45 reloads are a little cheaper than my 9 mm reloads.

Yes, I could shoot faster splits with a 9 than a .45, but I shoot significantly better scores with the .45, partly due to better sights (I haven't given up on finding good sights for a Glock, I just haven't succeeded yet), and partly due to a better trigger (and no amount of wizardry done to a striker-fired pistol will let it match the pull of a tuned single action). I also shoot a number of events that don't have dimensional restrictions on the gun but do have 10 round limits, so I run 10 round mags and don't give up round count to the 9s and 40s

• Like 1

I have for sale a Glock 35 Gen4 with everything you need to shoot in 3 different divisions in USPSA (Production, Limited and Limited 10). If you want to check it out, try it and talk more about it we can meet at the range. I'm a member at Shongum and I could guest you in.

Here's a link to the add in the forums:

WTS Glock 35 with competition package

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enjgunforums%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F81853-WTS-Glock-35-with-competition-package&share_tid=81853&share_fid=42596&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great discussion! ... but my OP wasn't asking about the merits of using a .45 in competition, but for those that do like to use one ... what do you shoot?

S&W 625 Revolver Division

STI Spartan Single Stack Division

f5978b18633550571043c63208ea5fb2.jpg

[/img]a37f1e4903a79130b6ea65bfe60c2d4f.jpg

Great discussion! ... but my OP wasn't asking about the merits of using a .45 in competition, but for those that do like to use one ... what do you shoot?

My first .45 was a Springfield XD Tactical (just their name for the 5" barrel version). I added a PRP trigger kit and an extended slide catch and it was the gun I used to get to CDP Expert in IDPA.

I also have a S&W 1911. Due to unfortunate circumstances I was not able to use it a year ago so I used a borrowed Kimber 1911 and shot my best IDPA classifier yet (way better than my time in any division, not just CDP)

I have just acquired a Springfield XDm 5.25 in .45 also with a PRP trigger. We'll see how I do with that after I stop getting so keen to shoot my revolver.

If you're on a search for a polymer .45 I'd take a serious look at the M&P. I'm shooting an M&P45 right now. I love it.

USPSA L10, IDPA CDP, Steel knockdown/static. Pretty much does it all. 

Also it's relatively soft shooting compared to some of the other polymer pistols out there due to good ergo's. 

Right now I put Apex's flat trigger in it and warren sights and it's awesome. 

Yeah, .45 is not the most economic round, but I don't mind spending the cost due to how much I enjoy shooting the gun.

Good luck on the search!

Yes sort of, see my comment about protected species. First, most bulleye 1911's are on the edge of nonfunctional from what I've seem. Super accurate and awesome to shoot, but not something one buys at the store. I've borrowed a couple of bulleye matches I've shot and their function was compromised for the accuracy. Secondly, there is a dedicated division for 1911's so if you want to shoot the aggregate match without a third gun, then the 1911 is one that makes sense as you can use it in two divisions.

I like 1911s, and I like them in .45, but note that the poster does NOT want a 1911, so once you exclude that and its protected species status in Bulleye, and IDPA, and USPSA, there is little use for a .45 in competition.

A little off subject but, there's no "dedicated division" for 1911 in Bullseye.

The course of fire consists of 90 shots of .22, 90 center fire, and 90 .45. You can use any .45 you like.

If you're on a search for a polymer .45 I'd take a serious look at the M&P. I'm shooting an M&P45 right now. I love it.

I have an M&P 9mm right now and love it as well, so I am looking at this is an opportunity to have something other than another S&W. :)