revenger

law for purchasing ar15 stripped lowers.

18 to buy an off the shelf AR.

21 to buy a stripped lower, as it could also be built up as a pistol (news to me).

A stripped lower is a serialized part and is considered a firearm, so it needs a FPID, NJDL and a COE for a private sale. 

If bought thru a FFL, all the above 3 plus a NICS check required.

If going thru a FFL, paying a transfer fee on a lower is probably not worth it.

Just buy from a local shop.

• Like 1

But you CANNOT use them to build handguns unless you've burned Pistol Permits to acquire them.

And in that case, you need to abide by the Evil Features list to avoid having a NJ assault weapon (good luck with the 50oz limit)

The question is, will a FFL sell you a receiver on a pistol permit?

Or an AR lower (stripped or not) with a buttstock assembly attached.

No upper necessary.

It's a rifle.

Not so at a federal level. On the 4473, it's transferred as "Other" not a long gun and subject to the same age requirement as a pistol/handgun. Buttstock is irrelevant.

If it's a polymer lower, absolutely!

PK90 did it for me when he was still here.

(I bought it as a future replacement for one of my AR pistols, if necessary)

If it's a metal lower, it might take some convincing.

If it's transferred as a pistol, the receiver is technically the manufactured weight. Regardless, my idea is to have a FFL 07 manufacture an upper receiver with either a cutaway or some sort of latch for top loading stripper clips for a lower with a non-detachable magazine. That would make the weight limit irrelevant.

• Like 1

Do any of the gun shops in NJ keep lowers in stock.  how do you go about buying them.   and if you buy multiple lowers at one time do you only pay for 1 nics check?

Many do.

Do any of the gun shops in NJ keep lowers in stock.  how do you go about buying them.   and if you buy multiple lowers at one time do you only pay for 1 nics check?

It is on one NICS check if purchased at the same time.  I bought 2 lowers at once on a single check.  If I'd had the funds to buy 3 or 4, I could have bought all them on one NICS.  The biggest problem with getting 3 or 4 lowers is then I'll start buying parts to build up all of those lowers...

Most FFLs I have visited in NJ (excluding places like Dicks) have carried stripped lowers, though stock may be limited.

Hes not an NJGF guy (that I know of) but Jim Flynn in Glen Gardner had Aero x15 in stock for $85 each a couple of months ago I got 5 sequential serial numbers and he dropped it to $80 each. I called to make sure he had them before I just drove there. I would reccomend the same for him or anyone else really before just driving someplace.He is not your typical gun dealer.....

And yes only one Nics fee with no limit on purchases even if you mix and match. That goes for all dealers.

Hes not an NJGF guy (that I know of) but Jim Flynn in Glen Gardner had Aero x15 in stock for $85 each a couple of months ago I got 5 sequential serial numbers and he dropped it to $80 each. I called to make sure he had them before I just drove there. I would reccomend the same for him or anyone else really before just driving someplace.He is not your typical gun dealer.....

And yes only one Nics fee with no limit on purchases even if you mix and match. That goes for all dealers.

did he sneak in a $10 shipping fee on the pprwrk?

Yes, but how many $40ish transfer fees if you have multiples shipped in?

NJGF Dealers - can you answer that?

So I got a 10 pack of Anderson stripped lowers a few months back for $400. I called around and some FFL's were going to charge me $50 for each lower to process transfer...

I finally Settled on Franks Tackle... They charged $44 for the first lower, $22 for the second and $11 for each additional. Came to $154 for 10 lowers plus NICS. Not bad...

1b6f13f5c523ea19d10ea2b832a550fa.jpg

So I got a 10 pack of Anderson stripped lowers a few months back for $400. I called around and some FFL's were going to charge me $50 for each lower to process transfer...

I finally Settled on Franks Tackle... They charged $44 for the first lower, $22 for the second and $11 for each additional. Came to $154 for 10 lowers plus NICS. Not bad...

1b6f13f5c523ea19d10ea2b832a550fa.jpg

So where did you get them from

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

Prices for lowers go up with each passing week as we get closer to the election.  They bottomed out between April and June at $45-50 at local FFLs.  That's when everyone should have picked up a couple.  Even Anderson has raised their prices to the mid to upper $50s ranges.  Watch what happens after the election to the non registered parts as well.   Dems are out for blood, if they get the WH and either the House or Senate, lookout.  Doubt they can swing both branches.  She will get her Supreme Court easily if she swings the Senate.  Then we are doomed and not just 2A either.

That 10-pack looks nice!  Anderson lowers are GTG - the only thing that irks me is the 3/4 threading job they did on the pistol grip screw hole.  Have no idea why they left the top 1/4 without threads.  They're usually pretty well finished, but I've seen and owned a few with rough edges and small burs (usually around the front take down pin area).

Buy when you can...