mikelets456

Baraka calls on NJ mayors to unite around safe gun tech

Mayor Ras J. Baraka has a message for the country's gun manufacturers: start employing safe weapons technologies, or the City of Newark will take its business elsewhere.

Surrounded by clergy and bi-partisan groups on the steps of Newark City Hall Thursday afternoon, Baraka called on all New Jersey mayors to convene before purchasing additional weapons for their law enforcement agencies and create a list of manufacturers who are listening to their concerns, chiefly: safer gun distribution practices and technologies.

"We put our money in places, with people who support what we think is right for our community," Baraka told NJ Advance Media following the press conference. "You're talking about over 560 municipalities in the State of New Jersey. If we can get a quarter of them to say, 'Look, we agree with this, and we're not going to purchase bullets, guns or whatever from these four or five manufactures until (they) do what we ask them to do.'"

One such technology is the "smart gun," a firearm programmed to be used only by the owner.

State Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen), who joined the mayor Thursday, sponsored a bill last year that attempted to repeal a 2002 law requiring New Jersey firearms dealers to sell only smart guns three years after they are available on the market.

Because of the restrictiveness of the 2002 law, some 2nd Amendment activists attempted to thwart the advancement of smart gun technology, according to reports.

In a 2014 interview with MSNBC, Weinberg said would introduce a new bill to repeal the 2002 law if the National Rifle Association would agree not to stand in the way of smart gun technology.

Weinberg's bill would have required retailers that sell guns to carry at least one smart gun in their inventory three years after they're vetted by state authorities and are on the market, but they could also continue to sell traditional weapons.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2016/10/baraka_calls_on_nj_mayors_to_unite_around_safe_gun.html#incart_river_home

That could be a two way street. Let's call on all firearms manufacturers to not do business with with municipalities that try to dictate design and policy - ala Ronnie Barrett.

I'd also be interested in how the police unions feel about this. As I recall, police were exempted from safe guns under Weinberg's law. Are the municipalities going to force them down the PD's throat?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No gun manufacturer is going to sink millions into R&D for a gun NO ONE is going to buy. Civilians don't want them and I sincerely doubt the Police Union is going to sign on for their use—no one wants to see a police officer injured or possibly killed because the fingerprint scanner failed or a battery died when they needed to defend against an attacker.

A smart gun company should use this opportunity to ask Baraka if the city of Newark would like to use its technology... We'll see how quick he shuts up.

This! haha! Imagine the uproar when the PD finds out that the city can buy these smart guns at a deep discount- think of the savings lol. We'll see how fast he's TOLD to stfu!

BFD what he wants. Does he really think that he can take biz elsewhere and it would affect the gun industry? He needs to concentrate on his own city and not this other bs. I had just a tad respect for him, now I have none! Fook him and that shithole of a city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where exactly is... "elsewhere" ????

Idiot.

I doubt LEO's will want to use a technology the reads fingerprints.  A technology that is about 94% reliable in the real world under non stressful conditions. And was very recently demonstrated NOT to work when a trigger or a finger is wet.

Sorry.  There's a reason aircraft systems are kept as simple as possible.  Something goes wrong and your are screwed.

Same situation for a firearm used for defensive purposes. 

No thanks.

I'm all for this. I'd love to see every PD in New Jersey trade in thier current side arm and replace it with the best smart gun available! EVERY Cop in the state would quit his job. Good sugestion Baraka. Or the other side of the coin, no gun manufacturers develop smart guns so you don't buy guns for the police at all.

Lets be clear. He was not saying PDs should use this tech.

He is saying that cities should not buy normal guns for their PD from manufacturers who don't have smart guns (for civilians)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But when the companies offer them to the PDs and the cops refuse, the companies can say see....they don't sell, no one wants them.