Indianajonze

Franklin police arrest two Georgia men on weapons charges

http://www.njherald.com/20161012/franklin-police-arrest-two-georgia-men-on-weapons-charges

not sure these two are playing with a full deck. that said, why is it that every article i read about such arrests always cite "hollow point bullets" as one of the charges? hollow point bullets are legal in nj...

Dum Dum / Hollow Points:

2C:39-3

f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S. 2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, .......

is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

g. ....

(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, 

--------------------------

My guess is,  most of those "hollow point charges" are charges outside these exceptions. 

• Like 2

basically, the AG is throwing all the shit he can come up with at the wall and hoping something sticks. It's the M.O. now of the prosecution these days; toss a laundry list and they'll plead to something, which is a "win" in the record book. Plus the more they throw at you, the more likely a jury is convinced you're guilty of *SOMETHING* and will convict you, which is again a win for them.

To sum up: our legal system is just as corrupted as our political system.

• Like 1

basically, the AG is throwing all the shit he can come up with at the wall and hoping something sticks. It's the M.O. now of the prosecution these days; toss a laundry list and they'll plead to something, which is a "win" in the record book. Plus the more they throw at you, the more likely a jury is convinced you're guilty of *SOMETHING* and will convict you, which is again a win for them.

To sum up: our legal system is just as corrupted as our political system.

The system is corrupt if they weren't making terroristic threats, in illegal possession of a firearm, possession of a high-capacity magazines, or possession of hollow points outside of the legal exclusions for them in NJ.    But if they were (and we won't know until the trial), why wouldn't the prosecution charge them with all of the violations?

I don't agree with a lot of the laws, but if the misguided legislature passed them, I wouldn't expect the prosecutor to selectively ignore them.

• Like 3

Following a complaint of a pair of individuals broadcasting themselves on Facebook and Periscope handling weapons

Is there any record of the video? Last I checked, handling weapons in a video is not illegal. 

Regardless, you don't bring high capacity magazines into NJ if you value your freedom, and you don't threaten to kill a cop if you value your life. It was a stupid thing to do, and now we all get to pay for it. They're probably going to do a minimum of 3 to 5 years on our tax dime.  :girlmad:

"‘RIP cartridge style hollow point bullets' which have eight trocar tips that are designed to break off during penetration and form separate wound channels"

I think they're talking about these: https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/RIP-9MM-Ammo-p/g2rip9.htm

If so, it's amazing to me that two 19-year-olds would spend $37.50 for a box of 20 when I complain about spending $15 on a box of 50.

If they were handling weapons (specifically a Handgun or prohibited item like a 30 round mag) in NJ, in public, and on video - especially live streaming it - that is evidence of violating NJ Laws. It's not that filming the handling of firearms is illegal - It's that filming of illegal firearms or items, or the handling firearms (even NJ legal ones) in places where it is not legal to do so is proof of a crime.

As for the G2 RIP rounds, :facepalm:

Anyone who buys them can't be playing with a full deck.

If they were handling weapons (specifically a Handgun or prohibited item like a 30 round mag) in NJ, in public, and on video - especially live steaming it - that is evidence of violating NJ Laws. It's not that filming the handling of firearms is illegal - It's that filming of illegal firearm or item, or the handling firearms (even NJ legal ones) in places where it is not legal to do so is proof of a crime.

But muh trocars!

• Like 1

If they were handling weapons (specifically a Handgun or prohibited item like a 30 round mag) in NJ, in public, and on video - especially live streaming it - that is evidence of violating NJ Laws. It's not that filming the handling of firearms is illegal - It's that filming of illegal firearms or items, or the handling firearms (even NJ legal ones) in places where it is not legal to do so is proof of a crime.

I'd be curious to know if the person who reported the video knew that they were illegal in NJ, or if they were just complaining that someone had guns.

basically, the AG is throwing all the shit he can come up with at the wall and hoping something sticks. It's the M.O. now of the prosecution these days; toss a laundry list and they'll plead to something, which is a "win" in the record book. Plus the more they throw at you, the more likely a jury is convinced you're guilty of *SOMETHING* and will convict you, which is again a win for them.To sum up: our legal system is just as corrupted as our political system.

I don't see what's wrong with charging them with all they did. You can make terroristic threats without a gun, 30 rd magazine, and hollowpoints.

Just about all NJ prohibitive gun laws can be fixed by just adding "during the commission of a crime". You have an "assault weapon", "high capacity magazine", and "hollowpoints" no problem. Use the same to hold up a liquor store, three more charges on top of the armed robbery.

• Like 3

Nope...not Federal. I know in Texas, 18-20 year olds can own/possess handguns...they just can't buy through an FFL. My daughter legally kept a loaded 9mm in her Jeep console before turning 21, now she's waiting for her LTC class so she can carry on her person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is 18 USC 922 still valid ?  That seem to put lot of restrictions on possession of handgun by Juvenile (< 18 years).

And the lot of language around transport is awfully similar to NJ handgun transport limitations.  May be one can get away with the clause "in accordance with State and local law;" in the federal limitation (see below).

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/44/922

OR

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922    Section (x)

(2)It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—

(A)
a handgun; or
(B)
ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(3)This subsection does not apply to—
(A)a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile—
(i)
in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii)with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—
(I)
during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II)
with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
(iii)
the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv)
in accordance with State and local law;
(B)
a juvenile who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who possesses or is armed with a handgun in the line of duty;
©
a transfer by inheritance of title (but not possession) of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile; or
(D)
the possession of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile taken in defense of the juvenile or other persons against an intruder into the residence of the juvenile or a residence in which the juvenile is an invited guest.

Just about all NJ prohibitive gun laws can be fixed by just adding "during the commission of a crime". You have an "assault weapon", "high capacity magazine", and "hollowpoints" no problem. Use the same to hold up a liquor store, three more charges on top of the armed robbery.

GRIZ 4 Governor!