Alligator snapper

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shawnmoore81

Shawnmoore81
  • Locationsouth jersey
  • Home Range:salem county sportsmen's club

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

200+ pound 200 year old alligator snapper caught in Alabama. Not really big news but it's cool. It's like a living dinosaur

7aec2ef2eab654c2dd90360274d2fcb4.jpg

5c101faf4bde77ab03b4a3f8ecbf9365.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • strelyat likes this
NRA life member
chief range safety officer
rifle instructor
shotgun instructor
Pistol instructor
Refuse to be a victim instructor
new jersey department of fish and game hunters education instructor (shotgun & rifle)

#2 T Bill

T Bill
  • LocationNW Warren County
  • Home Range:Shongum

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:35 PM

Oh! my bad, it's a turtle.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” - Dr. Sigmund Freud

” … the right to defend one’s home and one’s person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law.” - Dr. Martin Luther King
"Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves." - D. H. Lawrence
Cogito, ergo sum armatus. I think, therefore I am armed

#3 GRIZ

GRIZ

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:46 PM

That turtle could probably take your arm off.
  • Shawnmoore81 likes this

#4 fishnut

fishnut
  • Locationflemington, NJ
  • Home Range:EFGA

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:44 AM

Damn I've seen some big ones down south in the swamps but that one is a monster. Very cool

What's your plan for tomorrow
Are you a leader or will you follow
Are you a fighter or will you cower
It's our time to take back the power

The Interrupters

#5 mipafox

mipafox

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

We have lots of them in Jersey, even though many sources suggest their range ends further south.

I had a close encounter with one in Medford not quite that big but close. It lives in a series of small lakes off either Stokes or Tuckerton, I forget the name. It's the road that goes through town at 209 and has the sporting goods store on it further down. It's near the sporting goods store, you could probably ask them. He was named "Charlie" in the 1930s (the turtle) because he was so big bag then.

War Paint

#6 Family1st

Family1st
  • Home Range:Hopefully soon near home.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

He's awesome.  Always amazes me how old they can live.  There's a similar monster...  little bit smaller that lives at Rutgers Golf Course.  Scared the living shit out of me.  Colonial Park also has decent sized one, aprox half the size. Who enjoys screwing with your bait. 

#7 mipafox

mipafox

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

I lived in Hamilton (Trenton) next to a cliff. The snappers and a few alligator snappers would climb the cliff to lay eggs on our property. Which must have been a huge bitch, because it was quite a cliff. My neighbor was a homo and for some reason was afraid of them, I guess he was not familiar with animals and such. He would call me because he was afraid to leave his house and asked me to move them. I would tell him just leave them alone, all they want to do is lay eggs and they won't do anything more than hiss at you unless you mess with them. But he was really afraid and I would have to move the turtle so he could get out of his house. One time one climbed up on his front stoop for whatever reason and he nearly had a heart attack when he opened the door. They were nice size but none larger than maybe 2' long that I saw.

But Mr. Charlie in Medford was YUUGE.

War Paint

#8 1563621

• LocationToms River
  • Home Range:CJR&P & sometimes my old backyard.Ronald Reagan had a vision of America. Barack Obama has a vision of Barack Obama." ~ Thomas Sowell `~

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

MMMMMMMMMMM Turtle soup!!!!!! And lots of it!

#9 TrentonShooter

TrentonShooter
  • LocationTrenton NJ Mercer County
  • Home Range:Ready Aim Fire

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

I have a small one as a pet !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users