SuRrEaLNJ

care to educate me on black powder rifle kits?

backstory:

so i came up with a crazy idea and were thinking about building a rifle to give my son. i have a pietta 1858 remington my dad did for me that is an unfired twin of the one we shoot together to pass down, and i plan on getting him a 22 sooner then later, but i thought i would take my hand at building a rifle to shoot with my old man my son and then leave to my kids.

so im looking at muzleloading rifle kits with this in my head the other night cuz i cant sleep and now my head is spinning

ok that out of the way...

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with traditions rifle kits or similar. anything i need to know going into this, anyone have any references handy, etc?

I also need a basic schooling on what the kits are suposed to represent, ie is it a kentucky or pensylvanian long rifle or a whatever other thing pattern. is there any historical significance to what its patterned after, etc

thanks in advance

Road trip to Dixon's in Kempton, Pa well worth the trip.

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

That's very good advice, those guys pretty much know it all.

Depending how comfortable you are with wood/metal working, there are plenty of beginner to advanced kits that you might want to tackle. One of the best reference books out there is called "Recreating the American Longrifle"; however, you would not need it for a basic build.

Have to build it out of state, you don't want to get caught manufacturing a firearm in NJ without a lic.

I don't think that applies to black powder gun kits. The gun is already manufactured all your doing is assembleing it in NJ. Kinda like how you are allowed to assemble an AR in NJ, but not complete an 80%lower.

OP- great idea! Now I want to do the same thing lol. I need another project like a hole in my head but I've got time, my daughter is only 6 months lol.

I'm sure smoking 50 will chime in with all the right answers.

• Like 1

Road trip to Dixon's in Kempton, Pa well worth the trip.

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

Right off I78 on the way to Cabelas

ooh, so dixons, cabellas and that surplus shop by cabellas that i keep bringin goodies home from, that could be a good day trip

That's very good advice, those guys pretty much know it all.

Depending how comfortable you are with wood/metal working, there are plenty of beginner to advanced kits that you might want to tackle. One of the best reference books out there is called "Recreating the American Longrifle"; however, you would not need it for a basic build.

im geting exponentially more comfortable as of late. i landed a gig in a prototyping shop, and have a wealth of stuff and knowledge at my disposal on a daily basis and the old man is proficient in both areas