Jim Hartman

Molot Vepr FM-47-11 Rifle Legality Question

K-var only ships compliant rifles to NJ. I am currently trying to speak to one of their supervisors about it. I left a message today for him to call me.

Atlantic has had two batches of them. They go quick. I'd highly suggest one of these, they are tanks and Molly's quality is outstanding.

In regards to your original post, it would be legal as long as you pin a muzzle brake or nut onto the barrel.

I get that part , my question is reguarding the word "AK" if it says AK on the rifle or "AR 15" on an AR clone  regardless of features its my understanding its illegal in NJ. This rifles  model number has AK in it but not on the gun itself just Vepr . Bottom line is as long as the letters AK are not on the gun any where is that all thats required for legality ? Most of the DDI's are no good in NJ simply because of the 2 letters A and K on the receiver.

the listing does NOT say "named AK rifle" it says "AK TYPE" this would imply that the intention of the listing is to ban ALL "AK TYPES" not just guns that are marked as such, the reason I say this is because some guns make the list as named, while a handful are broadly outlawed by the entire "Type".. per the literally reading of the list.. ANY "ak type" firearm is an assault weapon.. and thus illegal in NJ.. 

Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
FAMAS MAS223 types
FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
G3SA type
Galil type
Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
M1 carbine type
M14S type
MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms
PJK M-68 carbine type
Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF
SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
SKS with detachable magazine type
Spectre Auto carbine type
Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
Weaver Arm Nighthawk;

the listing does NOT say "named AK rifle" it says "AK TYPE" this would imply that the intention of the listing is to ban ALL "AK TYPES" not just guns that are marked as such, the reason I say this is because some guns make the list as named, while a handful are broadly outlawed by the entire "Type".. per the literally reading of the list.. ANY "ak type" firearm is an assault weapon.. and thus illegal in NJ.. 

Pretty sure the NJ AG had made some type of clarification on Kalshnikov rifles. They are legally not a Kalashnikov rifle as long as it doesn't have "AK" on the gun. And the obvious features that make it an "assault rifle". I have heard this from 2 different ffls in NJ. There are allot of ffls that will not sell a neutered AK no matter what.

Pretty sure the NJ AG had made some type of clarification on Kalshnikov rifles. They are legally not a Kalashnikov rifle as long as it doesn't have "AK" on the gun. And the obvious features that make it an "assault rifle". I have heard this from 2 different ffls in NJ.

That is not what the law says. It states semi-automatic "AK type" rifles.

Court precedent says MAK 90 is legal...its why they did substantially identical ruling

I remember hearing about that on here once before.. if that is the case and the intention was to apply to ALL AKs.. then the verbiage needs updating.. because there was an M1 carbine type that the state would NOT allow to be sold, even though it did not fail the evil feature game.. its only foul was being an "M1 carbine type" which is (like the AK) banned by type.. 

Pretty sure the NJ AG had made some type of clarification on Kalshnikov rifles. They are legally not a Kalashnikov rifle as long as it doesn't have "AK" on the gun. And the obvious features that make it an "assault rifle". I have heard this from 2 different ffls in NJ. There are allot of ffls that will not sell a neutered AK no matter what.

what is in practice.. and what the code says are IMO not the same thing.. my comments were geared towards your comments about naming.. it is important to note that some guns.. are banned by name.. but then additionally there are several that are banned by "type"... this is IMO a gray area.. because the law is simply not clear... you can buy tons of "AK Type" guns in NJ... but the verbiage clearly states they are a no go.. 

That is not what the law says. It states semi-automatic "AK type" rifles.

agree...

"substantially Identical" was ruled unconstitutionally vague in the mid 90's. The then Attorney General was ordered by the court to come up with a standard to define "substantially identical". His response was to effectively plagiarize the wording in the federal ban that was in effect at the time, which is how we got the "evil features" list. With this in mind AK clones that do not say AK47 on them or have enough "evil features" are legal under this standard - such as the MAK90.

AG Paula Dow didn't follow this standard when determining (presumably for her own anti gun reasons) that M1 Carbine clones are illegal, regardless of the "evil features" standard. In my opinion, this would be ripe for a lawsuit to have her ruling discarded as unlawful. Anyone got any spare cash for a lawsuit?

"substantially Identical" was ruled unconstitutionally vague in the mid 90's. The then Attorney General was ordered by the court to come up with a standard to define "substantially identical". His response was to effectively plagiarize the wording in the federal ban that was in effect at the time, which is how we got the "evil features" list. With this in mind AK clones that do not say AK47 on them or have enough "evil features" are legal under this standard - such as the MAK90.

AG Paula Dow didn't follow this standard when determining (presumably for her own anti gun reasons) that M1 Carbine clones are illegal, regardless of the "evil features" standard. In my opinion, this would be ripe for a lawsuit to have her ruling discarded as unlawful. Anyone got any spare cash for a lawsuit?

until there is clarity on the M1 carbine.. AK "type" is technically in the same boat..