fishnut

seafood recipes

So the wife is on a diet (finally) and she is eating her own meals for dinner. She does not eat seafood at all so since her diet ive been on a seafood binge and am looking for some new recipes. Please post up your favorite seafood recipes, thanks.  

I make a makeshift tinfoil tray, pour some good olive oil on it (not the cheap stuff, got a spend about 20 bucks on a small bottle of good stuff) and sprinkle on chef Pauls magic chef salmon seasoning. Throw it on the BBQ grill on the lowest heat till it's done. 

That's how I cook all of it, salmon, grouper, tilapia, flounder... 

1. Tilapia is gross, I used to love it and and after researching it, I'll never have it again lol. 2. No seafood from china. ...with this being said, nice piece of tuna steak coated with sesame oil lil salt n pepper toss on the grill, few min each side depending on thickness for a nice medium rare, lil sesame seeds on top during the last few min...delish 

I'm a big fan of grilled tuna and swordfish. Blackened or a lemon pepper rub sometimes the cabelas general purpose seasoning.

I don't like salmon

(Extra) garlic shrimp. Just some fresh garlic and chili flake seared in some oil with shrimp thrown in after. Made this yesterday

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

nice piece of tuna steak coated with sesame oil lil salt n pepper toss on the grill, few min each side depending on thickness for a nice medium rare, lil sesame seeds on top during the last few min...delish 

^ this!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chimney-tuna-loin-recipe.html

(Extra) garlic shrimp. Just some fresh garlic and chili flake seared in some oil with shrimp thrown in after. Made this yesterday

When buying shrimp, look for wild caught from the gulf of Mexico, MUCH better flavor than farm raised!  ShopRite usually has it.

Try this shrimp recipe too, for New Orleans BBQ shrimp, one of my favs.  You can find many variations, eat it over rice or grits.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/new-orleans-bbq-shrimp-recipe.html

1. Tilapia is gross, I used to love it and and after researching it, I'll never have it again lol. 2. No seafood from china. ...with this being said, nice piece of tuna steak coated with sesame oil lil salt n pepper toss on the grill, few min each side depending on thickness for a nice medium rare, lil sesame seeds on top during the last few min...delish 

Yeah I don't eat Tilapia either, I've been to fish farms but any recipe for it will work for fluke and snapper too . I also don't eat anything other than US or Canada wild caught fish, and since im an animal hippie I don't eat certain species like Orange roughy and Chilean  Sea bass. I do like tuna steak and cook it the same way lol. that is if I didn't eat it all raw 

Tuna

Cover both sides with white and black sesame seeds. Cook in cast iron. I prefer med. rare.

Cover both sides with olive tapenade. Cook in cast iron.

Cod/haddock

Coat with butter or olive oil. Coat both sides with panko and sprinkle with parm/romano grated cheese. Bake 425 about 15-20 minutes.

Rough cut tomatoes and olives, add some capers in a large pan. When that gets hot add fish and cover. Cook until done,

Salmon

Glaze of orange or apricot marmalade and soy sauce. Grill

Swedish style bake salmon (skin down) on rough sea salt 400 degrees until done

sauce - 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup sour cream, dill and red caviar. Foes great with some boiled potatoes and dill

In a "past life", I used to be a buyer for a wholesaler and travel into the NYC Fulton Fish Market twice a week and purchase all kinds of seafood.  Some stories I could tell you would turn your stomach.  Needless to say any seafood from SE Asia is a NO-NO.  Along with farm raised Tilapia from South America.  Stay away from Tiger Shrimp. Looks black when raw.  Gulf Shrimp White/Pink is best but hard to get a hold of.  There are some farm raised gulf shrimp that is good.  Clams from LI Sound are good if you know the brand. Avoid FL and Maine clams, yuch.  Lobster from Maine, always hard shell, avoid the soft shell, they are molting, your buying seawater.  Best lobster tail South African Rock Lobster.  

For a simple treat deep water pollack from Canadian Maritimes, looks dark pink, taste is great.  Also, expensive, but Arctic Char, like a cross between salmon and trout.  Believe it or not, farmed raised Louisiana catfish is very good, esp cajun style.  NYC has some of the finest smoked fish around, ACME is the brand name here.  Too many types of flounder to describe. Most grocery store types are not that good.  Salmon, same here, all kinds, got to know your types

I still go in occasionally for some things but for the most part I given up on seafood, too many cutting corners.

• Like 1

Decent blackening recipe

Grillin' And Chillin' Dry Rub #3

3/4 cup paprika
3/4 cup cracked black pepper
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons toasted crushed cumin seeds
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced onion

I made the recipe below with green tomatoes toasted on the grill. Very good for poaching eggs or fish.

Salsa Verde

Ingredients
  • 3 green tomatoes
  • 2 fresh jalapeno chilies
  • 1 large red tomato
  • 1 medium onion, chopped

• 1/4 cup lime juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Directions
  1. Place tomatoes and jalapenos in a pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and cook until the tomatoes and jalapenos turn light green, about 15 minutes. Drain well, and place in a blender with the onion, lime juice, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Puree to desired consistency and chill.

Here is a base version of my family's gumbo recipe. You can add seafood if you like, I add blue crab claws, crawfish tails, oysters too.

The roux is foolproof...done in the oven.

I do not put okra in a roux gumbo, but this recipe is tasty either with it without it.

The roux recipe I was telling you about came from a cook book called "Houston Chefs Table" it reads as follows:

3/4 cup of flour

1 cup of butter

Mix the flour with the oil in a heavy skillet place in a 325 degree oven and cook until brown without stirring. (30-45 minutes)

The rest of the ingridients are:

1 3 pound chicken

4 sprigs fresh thyme

3 bay leaves

2 pounds shrimp (save shells for stock)

3 tablespoons of black peppercorns

1/2 chopped yellow onion

1/4 cup xhopped green bell peppers

2 garlic cloves minced

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup sliced fresh okra

1 tablespoon creole seasoning

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon dried dried basil

tabasco sauce to taste

1 1/ cups smoked sausage

1 cup chopped canned tomatoes with juice

salt & pepper

1 pund raw jasmine rice cooked and reserved for servin

1 cup chopped scallions

Place the chicken in a pot and cover with water.add the thyme sprigs,bay leaves,,shrimp shells, clam juice,

peppercorns. cook over low heat for 45 minutes. Remove chicken and allow to cool. Strain the stock thru a fine-mesh strainer and return to stove. Reduce stock by 1/2.

Once the chicken has cooled completely remove the skin and debone . Add the onion, bellpeppers, garlic and celery

saute the vegetables in the roux until tender add the okra and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the gumbo seasoning thyme, basil and pepper. Add tabasco to taste.

Add the sausage, shrimp, chicken, and tomatoes. Simmer 1 hour or until thickened,

Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and tabasco sauce.. Serve over the rice with chopped scallions.

This serves 4

By NO means low calorie, but damn tasty.

I also have a shrimp and grits recipe that is just amazing.

Stolen from Food Network, I modify it a little to suit my taste.

For those of you that don't know what Tasso is, it is a type of ham, I use panchetta, because Tasso is hard to get up here.

Here you go:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/shrimp-and-tasso-gravy-over-yellow-grits-recipe.html

An easy and fun recipe for salmon....

Place your salmon steaks on aluminum foil, season with a pat of butter, a little fresh dill and lemon. Wrap it water tight in the foil.

Place it on the top rack of your dishwasher, and run a cycle (without dishes, OR detergent, of course!!).

The result is moist, and tender salmon. Perfectly done.

It is fun to see the reactions of your dinner guests as you retrieve the main course from the dishwasher.