Sign in to follow this  
Princetonian58

Gift of Handgun vs. Out of State Purchase

Here's the scenario.  Uncle lives in Virginia and owns several handguns that belonged to his father, my grandfather.  Uncle, who is not a FFL,  wishes to give me one of my grandfather's handguns.  No consideration, just a pure gift.  Must I have the firearm sent to a NJ FFL and obtain a permit for the transfer; or can the firearm be legally acquired in Virginia as a gift  and transported under FOPA to residence in NJ? 

I thought it was 7 rounds.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Yes it is just 7 and the 8th makes you a felon.  But because nobody makes 7 round rifle/pistol mags for popular guns, the NY Gun Nazi's will let you own and use 10-rounders if ya promise to only put 7 in them, lol!  

Soooooo, if ya get caught in a shoot-out, your spent brass plus whatcha got in the mag/tube better come up to 7, even if ya hafta hide the others as suppositories before the PoPo gets there!

So then what are the people who still own M1 carbines going to do with ttheir 30 Rd mags?

Same as today, a felon waiting to get caught.  And in the most stupid sort of way.  Ya know like the guy in Bergen County who got stabbed by his wife.  He has more felony firearm charges against him than the wife has for attempted murder!

Soooooo, if ya get caught in a shoot-out, your spent brass plus whatcha got in the mag/tube better come up to 7, even if ya hafta hide the others as suppositories before the PoPo gets there!

Well, that sure puts a new spin on the debate of .22 short vs. .454 Casull.

• Like 1

That's funny you mentioned that my dog said the same thing..crazy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys have smart dogs. One of my cats asked if a purchaser or acquirer must keep the salmon colored "receipt" and the other cat said no. Then my turtle mentioned in passing if you don't need to have it then there are no consequences to not having it. Then my parakeet chimed in, asking something like "is this person planning on committing a crime with the gun?" My gerbil, not knowing the situation completely, said "I assume not." 

Then the wisest of all animals, my pet cockroach, asked "then HTF is anyone going to know?"

At this point the thread died an early, painless death.

OTOH you can just get a permit and go through the process in a few weeks, depending.

You guys have smart dogs. One of my cats asked if a purchaser or acquirer must keep the salmon colored "receipt" and the other cat said no. Then my turtle mentioned in passing if you don't need to have it then there are no consequences to not having it. Then my parakeet chimed in, asking something like "is this person planning on committing a crime with the gun?" My gerbil, not knowing the situation completely, said "I assume not."

Then the wisest of all animals, my pet cockroach, asked "then HTF is anyone going to know?"

At this point the thread died an early, painless death.

OTOH you can just get a permit and go through the process in a few weeks, depending.

More like few months in my town

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yes it is just 7 and the 8th makes you a felon.  But because nobody makes 7 round rifle/pistol mags for popular guns, the NY Gun Nazi's will let you own and use 10-rounders if ya promise to only put 7 in them, lol!  

Seven was struck down by the 2nd circuit court of appeals as "arbitrary" and it was returned to 10 rounds. Like 10 isn't an arbitrary number.

• Like 2

Being that out President is pardoning the inmates with drug and gun convictions I would just transport the guns back and not worry about getting caught with a gun,. Obama will pardon you if caught and convicted.

Only if you look like you could be his son.

OFWG=SOL

It basically comes down to this:

You can acquire a gun if you do what we say...

You can only carry a gun if you meet unmeetable criteria...

You can speak but only if you don't hurt anyone's feelings...

Rights not enumerated are retained by the states, or the people, EXCEPT for the ones we don't trust you with...

You have the right of association, as long as it's with people we approve of...

You're protected from unreasonable searches, unless a cop is having a bad day...

Eventually this shit ends.

I appreciate the question; I wish you hadn't asked it.