CaveSpectre

New to forum and NJ

I just wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone.  I'm moving up to New Jersey in a few weeks and trying to make sense of the laws.  Coming from Florida and EDC, it's definitely going to be a bit of a different lifestyle.  I'm going to check out of few of the local USPSA ranges and get a sense of how that all functions, and hopefully have everything figured out (as best is possible) by spring.

Looking forward to being part of this forum, the people, the knowledge.  Thank you to the administrators for their time and efforts (having owned forums in the past; I know it is an often thankless job).

-Jeff

I couldn't convince the bride-to-be to relocate to Florida (strangely enough). But I guess the good side it I'm another voter for the good guys.

I guess that's a good way to look at it. Union County is very Dem from what I understand.

As far as "NJ Compliant", this post has a lot of useful info.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

I didn't see anyone posting the highlights, so I'll list a few. And add that many here are much more proficient on this subject than Me, but here ya go.

15 round limit on mags for semi auto rifles and pistols.

For your AR style rifles, a typical compliant config is:

-pistol grip

-PINNED stock. Can't be adjustable by you

-PINNED muzzle break. Can't be removable.

-No flash hiders

-No bayonet lug

Certain semi auto rifles are illegal. That post has the list. IE., M-1 Carbine.

But an old Glenfield-Marlin Model 60 .22 caliber rim fire with it's original 18 round tube mag is illegal and NJ residents have done jail time for having one. Marlin used to sell NJ tube mags. I guess these days a gun smith would need to crimp the tube for you before you brought it here.

But...if you want a .50 cal Barrett BA...that's cool. Not an assault rifle like that death-bringer .22 Glenfield.

That post includes restrictions on shotgun mag capacity. Check that out and make sure what you own is legal here.

Hollow points are legal here but transporting them between non-exempted locations is illegal. Exempted locations would be from home to the range and from the range back home. Directly. Numerous posts here on hollow points. A lot on how to deal with legally getting them from your old home, to you new home. Some would suggest, me included, use em up in Florida, then buy more here, or trade em for FMJs with a buddy and buy replacements here. Just don't get caught with even one in you car if you're not transporting between legal places to use them. I don't understand why you can't take them with you in a move....but it is a thing here in NJ. Essentially, they are treated just like a handgun here. Mostly.

Which is the next point.

As mentioned above, get yourself a NJ Firearms Purchasers ID once here. Make sure your new Drivers license address matches what you submit on the application.

Having the FPID will relax the restrictions on transporting long guns. Without the FPID, you can only transport to and from exempted locations....range, homes, FFLs, gun smith and places you will hunt.

With FPID you can drive around, or walk around all day long with your -unloaded- long gun. But if you cruise into the local 7-Eleven with a 12 ga on your shoulder, you will, at the least, get some inquiries from local police.

Handguns can only be transported to and from exempted locations. Home to range. Range to home. Gunsmith...Dealer... There's language in the laws here that mention "reasonable deviations"... But many feel not much slack would be given if you were called out on say...stopping to pee. But i believe most of us stop to pee or hit a drive thru for a burger. But...make you own decision on that.

Most ranges have logs recording who was there. Some automated...key fob entry for example, some are manual....sign in book or guest register. If you are guested into a range, make sure there's a record of you being there. Just in case you get pulled over and it goes south. Not likely, but why tempt fate if it's easy to avoid it?

Your pistol can have a threaded barrel. But you can't own a silencer.

Your carry permit is not valid here. NJ does not honor ANY other state's carry permits. And it's nearly impossible to get one here. Quite a few visitors who carry as a way of life have found their lives wrecked when they say to an LEO, "Officer, I just want to let you know I'm carrying a legal firearm." That's the last thing they say before becoming a felon.

But read that other thread. A lot more detail there. Do a forum search. You'll find more info.

Confused? Ask.

Also, if you like multi purpose ranges or clubs, I know a couple of people who live in Union County and belong to Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club. They host a lot of USPSA matches. Probably a 20 to 25 min drive for you. Matches open to the public. Some indoor ranges in striking distance as well. Mostly public I think.

Anyway, welcome. Don't consider my post exhaustive. Do some research before moving day. And good luck with the move!

Edit: One more thing. Once you get settled. I would avoid entering NYC with any firearm. There are some legal ways to transport through it, but consider it North Korea and they want to put you in prison any chance they get.

• Like 4

One additional item to Kevin's excellent post: If at all avoidable don't fly into/out of NJ/NYC airports with a gun. it should be legal if done correctly but there are lots of people who get jammed by this.

• Like 1

Hollow points are legal here but transporting them between non-exempted locations is illegal. 

Thanks for a lot of great information Kevin (and others).  The hollow point thing was one thing I was trying to wrap my head around.  Kinda sad I need to take this stuff into consideration when planning my driving route ("Well, if I take 81 to 78 it's only 41 miles behind the blue curtain; 95 is 80 miles of NJ, 225 miles from Alexandria, VA..... is it worth saving two hours?"

I have heard of Old Bridge; I saw it originally when I was looking at USPSA matches.  I'll definitely check them out.

Still trying to wrap my head around FPID and what it's used for.  Thank you for touching on that, and letting me know my dreams of a Barrett aren't dashed yet ;)

I have plenty of questions formulating; but they will wait until I have the time to do my own digging and research on this site.

Thank you all for everything shared to this point!

-Jeff

Very welcome Jeff.

Like Alec mentioned, Central Jersey RPC is also a good USPSA host club. There are also IDPA matches in the area, including some indoor matches in Somerset.

The FPID is required to purchase any firearm...including a BB gun...in NJ. You simply print out and fill out two forms and bring them to your local PD on the days they say they are available to accept them. There's also one online thing to do related to a background check. That cost $20. The FPID costs$5. It is good until you change your address or name.....or...your gender...... For most PDs, thats any day of the week the clerk is on duty. For some, they have a designated person to handle that and there may only be 4 or 5 days a month to drop off forms or pick up IDs.

Some towns do it in 2 weeks. Some take months. Sounds like yours is relatively quick.

You will also need that FPID ..and in Dick's Sports...your driver's license, to purchase ammo that can be used in a handgun. Many here hold a special place in hell for Dick's... Since they won't sell black rifles and ask for you your FPID for .223 and 5.56 ammo.

Also, to purchase a handgun in NJ, residents need to apply for and be issued Pistol Purchase permits. You apply for these the same way you apply for the FPID. Exactly the same way. Per app, you can request as many permits as you like. They cost $2 each. And are good for 3 months. You can have them extended to 6 months if need be at no charge.

You can only buy 1 handgun each 30 days. So if you do the calendar math, you can only use 7 permits in one 6 month period, assume you time it correctly.

Each permit is actually a multipart form you get and you bring one to your FFL at the time of purchase. I bring the prior one used with me as well so we are sure I have waited 30 days. I think the NICS check might kick it back but I don't want anything kicked back here in the People's Republic of NJ.

One thing I'll add, yesterday I dropped off my pistol permit forms and requested 4. Officer told me I can only request 3 unless I do more paperwork. News to me. Will look into that.

If you are an collector, there is a way around the 30 day rule..or...One Gun A Month... as its called. (OGAM). I'm not clear on that and it probably doesn't affect you.

But that's the headlines on the FPID and the totally awesome system of permits to purchase a pistol.

Maybe someone else can comment on this, but does he need to hold onto any paperwork on handguns he purchased before moving here, that he will bring and transport around here.

Reason I ask is.... I own a few handguns...but as far as I know...my wife can not grab one of these and take it to the range as she is not the owner. That would be an illegal transfer. I have to transport it and be on range property while she is in possession....which is something else you and your new wife need to be aware of when you get here.

1) that illegal transfer is correct right?

2) let's say Jeff is unlucky enough to be stopped while going to the range. Somehow the presence of the handgun becomes known and he has to prove the gun is his. How does he do this? ...assuming it would be required. Again, the chances of getting stopped and the gun being an issue are near zero. And btw...most suggest we don't ever offer up that we are transporting guns to an leo. But also...never lie about it.

Getting a little into the weeds. But way too many people coming to or driving thru NJ get eviscerated over guns they are transporting.

Last thing.... Understand how to legally transport here. Both within the state and into and out of the state. But also know that a lot of people do more than the law requires for legal transport. There are good threads here that explain it thoroughly. We often argue about doing too much and making something not required by law "the new standard" by doing more than needed. That's up to you. Just be sure you are "legal".

All this stuff I posted...I learned nearly all of it here.

Btw: I'm stuck at home after a knee tune-up. So don't mind taking the time to post. It's that...or the laundry.....

Good luck.

• Like 1

It is good until you change your address or name....

Thanks again.  That right there is a great tidbit; since I'll be there in a few weeks, but not close on my house until late December.  I don't plan on any purchases between now and then, so it's probably best to wait until I have my permanent address.  Except for special occasions, I tend to "reinvest" my tax return into a new firearm annually; so there's time before my next purchase (I'll take care of this years before I leave Florida).

I have looked into the issue of existing items; and from what I can tell there's nothing that -technically- needs to be done about that.  You do bring up a great point though, and I'll need to think about the ownership chain for anything that's leaving the house.  Also of course the transfer issue... they tried something similar in Florida but it didn't get far in the legislature; that bill basically made it illegal to hand a gun to someone else even at a range (e.g. the legal wording made it so an RO picking up and securing a dropped firearm during a competition could be legally argued as an illegal transfer).  

For the move, I'll be taking the battery out of my biometric safe; so I will neither be able to confirm nor deny the contents of said safe that will be boxed and buried deep in the trunk.

Thanks again.  That right there is a great tidbit; since I'll be there in a few weeks, but not close on my house until late December.  I don't plan on any purchases between now and then, so it's probably best to wait until I have my permanent address.  Except for special occasions, I tend to "reinvest" my tax return into a new firearm annually; so there's time before my next purchase (I'll take care of this years before I leave Florida).

I would suggest you buy any handguns you expect to want RIGHT NOW while you are in FL.   Use a credit card and pay it off when you get your tax return.

• Like 1

Welcome. Once settled in do yourself a favor and have a porkroll, egg and cheese on a roll for breakfast. Your bride to be can prob recommend a good place

Also, a few times a year some of us get together to bust clays not too far from you. Check for postings in the "Events & Meet Ups" forum.

Welcome. Once settled in do yourself a favor and have a porkroll, egg and cheese on a roll for breakfast. Your bride to be can prob recommend a good place

Also, a few times a year some of us get together to bust clays not too far from you. Check for postings in the "Events & Meet Ups" forum.

dont listen to him....

its called TAYLOR HAM

:onthequiet:

• Like 1