Ricky_Bobby

Want an AR but might be moving - buy non threaded "compliant" models or one modded by FFL?

Alright so the plan is to get out of PRNJ by the time Tubby is gone. I don't want to sell any guns when I leave.

So I was thinking to get started in the AR platform I could get a Sport II as I'm just in the beginner category before I try out wild builds, etc, and could pass a beginner rifle to my wife someday with some pink furniture LOL

but if I move would it not be more expensive to get my barrel threaded, - and buy a normal stock for it? The compliant Rugers and Sport 2's have straight barrels as we know.

Then I thought maybe buying something like a Colt Expanse or other "standard" AR which has been modded by the FFL - if I moved out of state perhaps a competent gunsmith can un-pin the muzzle and stock and besides new mags (our permanently modded 15 rounders would prob be sold here I guess since I can't just have blocked 30 rounders) and missing a bayo lug I'd have a 90% standard rifle?

Or is it too much of a pain in the ass and should I just accept some level of neutering in my rifle that I purchase here if I move?

I would say get a 14.5" with pinned comp to make it NFA compliant - and keep it.  Find one with a low profile gas block and a handguard that either covers it or is a full rail.

Pinned stock right now is easy enough to drill out and/or replace.  

• Like 1

Soooo if I was looking at the standard Colt 6920LE with Magpul furniture besides missing the bayo lug it would be more up front cost but easier converted to "freedom status" if needed?

Alternatively I was just going to get that Beretta 1301 Tactical I mentioned in the other thread since I already own a pump and don't have to deal with as much BS with semiauto shotguns as I do with AR's here. Even a mag extension for them puts it at legal 6+1

Send me some links for rifles you mentioned man I'll take a look at them

EDIT: I should mention I was looking at your standard 16" barrels - don't know enough about the ins and outs of NFA/SBR

I just thought of this too but my in laws are in OBX, NC - I went to LGS last time I was down a few weeks ago and they had no problems selling me a rifle off the shelf. I should prob just do that and keep it in NC for the time being at their house. I don't think there are any laws being broken if I go that route. I know Cabelas and PA shops only sell compliant rifles to NJ residents but it's assumed (and rightly so) that they would just bring it home the hour trip and be breaking the law anyway.

I know delayed gratification kinda sucks, but if I knew I was moving to a free state in a year, I'd strongly consider putting off buying something neutered here, and instead start saving for post-move purchases.  Build up your war chest.

Think about how wonderful it will feel to go into a gun store after you move and say 'I'll take one of these and one of those and one of those and...' without having to give a moment's thought to a bunch of idiotic legal intricacies in NJ.

^good points. And not money and time wasted on blocked/permanently modded mags. I may stick to building up war chest of another shotgun as I mentioned above (or buying out of state and keeping there) for the time being. If for some reason we don't end up moving, then I'll bite the bullet and buy something neutered.

I'm just indecisive so I was more asking about the non threaded barrels and the pinned stocks and muzzle breaks as those are the main features you would reverse on a neutered AR.

I'm with you though I specifically don't buy any handguns that need pinned mags (IE no Glock 17) because I'd rather have a few less pistols to choose from and know that anything I buy out of the box doesn't need modifications.

I just did this. A few years ago I bought a S&W Orc compliant model. It has a 16" bull barrel, I put a 4-16x scope on it. Now that I just left NJ, I am going with just an upper with full keymod and will red dot it. I will then swap uppers depending on what I am doing. The smith lower is great, and I don't want to shell out more bucks for a second ar.

• Like 1

I would take the potential upcoming election results into consideration, however...

Agreed - although I know if the inmate wins she would try to do something, if I was out of NJ I would worry less as I know our state would just bow at whatever she preaches - the free states will tell her to shove it -

It all depends on a brake really IMO. If you want to be able to switch muzzle brakes easily and find one that you really like, or even a flash hider in another state, I'd get a 16" barrel and get a brake pinned/welded. That way when you move you can drill out the pin and have a threaded barrel ready to take any muzzle device.

If you don't care about using different muZZLE DEVICES then I'd get a 14.5" barrel.

Agreed - although I know if the inmate wins she would try to do something, if I was out of NJ I would worry less as I know our state would just bow at whatever she preaches - the free states will tell her to shove it -

Like from 1994 to 2004 with the Federal Assault Weapon Ban?

• Like 1

^^ This. No matter the state, you need to pin a 14.5" barrel unless you are planning to go the NFA SBR route, in which case you are better off going shorter for the SBR.

This. All my carbines (that I unfortunately lost in a very tragic boating accident) are (were) 14.5" pinned to 16.1". Stocks can be unpinned or replaced when I move.

• Like 1