Zeke

Walther ppk/s

Big fan of the PP series here. Scroll down for a summary if you're impatient.

They all have fixed barrels, very good accuracy, no slide release, last round hold-open, stiff recoil springs (when compared to short recoil firearms), a stiff DA pull with a clean break that can be staged, small sights, a crisp light SA trigger with only slight take-up, and a short trigger reset. The firing pin is captive (sprung, compared with the free-float of a 1911, for example). The Walther PP is larger in size, the PPK is more compact. The PPK/S is a PP frame with a PPK slide and barrel. The PPK can accept PP or PPK/S magazines with a grip adapter to give you back that additional round.

The safety decocks and and also blocks the firing pin from moving under any circumstances, making it drop-safe in this condition (with the safety on).

There are a few important distinctions between the different manufacturers:

S&W currently has the contract from Walther to manufacture the PPK and PPK/S in .380 and .22 LR only. In .380, the PPK has a 6 round mag, and the PPK/S has a 7 round mag. .22 LR is 10 rounds. If looking for used, be aware that there was a recall issued on S&W guns due to a decocker/safety failure that can cause the gun to fire when decocking. Recall-serviced guns are indicated with a punch in the slide; these are safe. S&W PPKs have extended beavertails and titanium firing pins. The former makes the gun less likely to bite the web of your hand. The latter makes the gun drop-safe when the safety is off, but also prevents a gunsmith from lightening the trigger pull very much. S&Ws have a reputation for being finicky with ammo.

You can also find used German/French manufacture PP series guns, usually imported by Interarms (with their own rollmark added). They are higher quality guns, in my opinion, with noticeably better finishes and smoother machining when compared to the S&W version. They are not drop-safe when the safety is off. They are available in .380, .32 ACP (adds 1 round of capacity to each model), and .22 LR.

.32 ACP guns are said to be more reliable than .380, but using hollowpoint .32 ACP rounds can cause rimlock because the magazine is wide enough for FMJ. This is generally a problem with most .32s, some guns get around this by sizing the mag to fit only hollow-points (like the Seecamp).

-------

Too long; didn't read: I'd recommend an Interarms PP or PPK in .380 ACP. It's snappier than a 9mm, almost like a .40. Can be ammo sensitive; avoid hipster crap ammo. If either of those is an issue, go with a .32 ACP. In any case: Not a good beginner gun, or a gun for those with weak hands. It's fun to shoot, easy to conceal, nice to look at and solid as a tank.

Hope this helps with your decision.

My buddy and I both had one once.  Don't get caught up in the "James Bond" cultural icon craze.  For it;s size it leans to the heavy side, the DA trigger pull sucks worse than a NYPD gun and the break is, well, fuhgeddabouit.  Buddy carried it as a BUG during his tenure in PD,  He often said he hoped he never had to rely on it.  There are better choices today.  The BUG gun line has matured to such an extent the Walter should be relegated to the back of the bus today.  Look at S&W, Ruger, and others as well.

Big fan of the PP series here. Scroll down for a summary if you're impatient.

They all have fixed barrels, very good accuracy, no slide release, last round hold-open, stiff recoil springs (when compared to short recoil firearms), a stiff DA pull with a clean break that can be staged, small sights, a crisp light SA trigger with only slight take-up, and a short trigger reset. The firing pin is captive (sprung, compared with the free-float of a 1911, for example). The Walther PP is larger in size, the PPK is more compact. The PPK/S is a PP frame with a PPK slide and barrel. The PPK can accept PP or PPK/S magazines with a grip adapter to give you back that additional round.

The safety decocks and and also blocks the firing pin from moving under any circumstances, making it drop-safe in this condition (with the safety on).

There are a few important distinctions between the different manufacturers:

S&W currently has the contract from Walther to manufacture the PPK and PPK/S in .380 and .22 LR only. In .380, the PPK has a 6 round mag, and the PPK/S has a 7 round mag. .22 LR is 10 rounds. If looking for used, be aware that there was a recall issued on S&W guns due to a decocker/safety failure that can cause the gun to fire when decocking. Recall-serviced guns are indicated with a punch in the slide; these are safe. S&W PPKs have extended beavertails and titanium firing pins. The former makes the gun less likely to bite the web of your hand. The latter makes the gun drop-safe when the safety is off, but also prevents a gunsmith from lightening the trigger pull very much. S&Ws have a reputation for being finicky with ammo.

You can also find used German/French manufacture PP series guns, usually imported by Interarms (with their own rollmark added). They are higher quality guns, in my opinion, with noticeably better finishes and smoother machining when compared to the S&W version. They are not drop-safe when the safety is off. They are available in .380, .32 ACP (adds 1 round of capacity to each model), and .22 LR.

.32 ACP guns are said to be more reliable than .380, but using hollowpoint .32 ACP rounds can cause rimlock because the magazine is wide enough for FMJ. This is generally a problem with most .32s, some guns get around this by sizing the mag to fit only hollow-points (like the Seecamp).

-------

Too long; didn't read: I'd recommend an Interarms PP or PPK in .380 ACP. It's snappier than a 9mm, almost like a .40. Can be ammo sensitive; avoid hipster crap ammo. If either of those is an issue, go with a .32 ACP. In any case: Not a good beginner gun, or a gun for those with weak hands. It's fun to shoot, easy to conceal, nice to look at and solid as a tank.

Hope this helps with your decision.

What is rimlock?

Thankyou I read the whole thing! Lol

Very informative.

Unlike .380 ACP, .32 ACP is a semi-rimmed cartridge. Rimlock describes the condition of a round lower in the magazine getting jostled enough to jump in front of the rim of a higher one, preventing the feeding of the higher one. I don't think it's possible to recover from it without unloading the magazine.

It happens when there is room in the magazine for forward/backward movement of the rounds. Since the PP-series .32 magazine is sized to accept FMJ rounds, HPs (and probably flat points, too) will have that room.

My buddy and I both had one once.  Don't get caught up in the "James Bond" cultural icon craze.  For it;s size it leans to the heavy side, the DA trigger pull sucks worse than a NYPD gun and the break is, well, fuhgeddabouit.  Buddy carried it as a BUG during his tenure in PD,  He often said he hoped he never had to rely on it.  There are better choices today.  The BUG gun line has matured to such an extent the Walter should be relegated to the back of the bus today.  Look at S&W, Ruger, and others as well.

Yes, this is worth considering too. I've since moved to Kahr for carry. I still like shooting the PPK, but for serious use, there are indeed better options. It's still possible to appreciate everything that made these guns great for their time.

Unlike .380 ACP, .32 ACP is a semi-rimmed cartridge. Rimlock describes the condition of a round lower in the magazine getting jostled enough to jump in front of the rim of a higher one, preventing the feeding of the higher one. I don't think it's possible to recover from it without unloading the magazine.

It happens when there is room in the magazine for forward/backward movement of the rounds. Since the PP-series .32 magazine is sized to accept FMJ rounds, HPs (and probably flat points, too) will have that room.

Hmmm, learn something everyday.

Does walther not make the ppk at this time?

Hmmm, learn something everyday.

Does walther not make the ppk at this time?

Many gun companies contract their work out. Lol at springfield and the xd series, they are all made in Croatia

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

If your looking for a stainless 380, look at the Sig p230.

Far superior than the Walther ppk, I have both.

Yuge Sig guy here.

Problem I have with 230 is mag release. I have software issues. I know

But muscle memory is kinda like an operating system

If your looking for a stainless 380, look at the Sig p230.

Far superior than the Walther ppk, I have both.

Not to hijack this thread but do they still make the p230? I love the look of it and with a steel frame and small caliber I'd like to get one for the wife.

The PPK/S is a PP frame with a PPK bbl/slide on it. 

This gun came about because of the US 68 gun laws that prohibited the PPK on some Stupid points system - which the PPK/S would pass. 

I don't think this pistol was ever sold anywhere but the USA. 

Sarge 

I dont own one but I have fired a PPK. Its on my short list. They are smooth shooting and operating. Classic lines and style. Not sure if its just the 007 reference or not , but the gun has class. I will be buying a WWII vintage PPK in the near future. 

I have never heard the above in reference to the PPK/S nomenclature. I was under the impression that the difference between a PPK & PPK/s was stainless steel. Thanks for clearing that up Sarge13