Sign in to follow this  
jnepier

Changing state of residence

You don't do anything. I have a FL d/l and my FID is the same one because I still live in my NJ house. I can even get pistol permits at my local PD.

When you buy a gun in NJ you claim NJ as state of resident and when in FL claim FL when purchasing. It's all legal and spelled out in the 4473.

You don't do anything. I have a FL d/l and my FID is the same one because I still live in my NJ house. I can even get pistol permits at my local PD.

When you buy a gun in NJ you claim NJ as state of resident and when in FL claim FL when purchasing. It's all legal and spelled out in the 4473.

I thought your DL and fpid card had to match? 

There is no time requirement for dual tesidency as far as ATF is concerned. You can live 2 weeks in FL, a month in NJ, etc. As long as you maintain two residences you are a dual state resident.

The example on form 4473 is a weekend residence. So this is correct.

If everyone does a search on this I've outlined it in painful detail using the 4473.

Is your FL. address on your NJ fpid card? I am going to change my dl to FL in July and was wondering how that works. Pretty sure the aft regs are what ever state you live in at that time is considered your residence.

Do not change your FPID card unless you don't live at that address!!!!! NJ allows for out of state residents to get FPID cards but you are now inelliglebe to buy pistols!

So, all I have to do to purchase a handgun while I'm staying in my Florida home is show my Florida property tax bill? How about my out-of-state CCW card? Would they change it to a 'resident' card if I show them the tax bill at the Dept of Agriculture? I can't be THAT easy. BTW, thanks for the feedback folks!

So, all I have to do to purchase a handgun while I'm staying in my Florida home is show my Florida property tax bill? How about my out-of-state CCW card? Would they change it to a 'resident' card if I show them the tax bill at the Dept of Agriculture? I can't be THAT easy. BTW, thanks for the feedback folks!

As far as I know, just looked at mine, your Florida CWP (concealed weapons permit) doesn't have your address on it. My d/l is FL so if stopped and asked I can prove residency easily. I'm not sure how you would do that in a situation. However, if yours has an address you can go to your local tax assessor's office and have them change it. If you are Florida resident you have greater reciprocity than non-resident.

As far as purchase call the FFL you plan on visiting and ask them but the example on form 4473 is using a property tax bill, which I've done before.