JohnnyB

What is the best SD non HP ammo for the Sig P938?

Due to hollow point issues in the PRNJ. If I decide to carry in PA or DE I have to transport it to there and back.

I figure it would be better not to have HP ammo in my trunk with my Sig.  I also am not sure about PA or DE laws

regarding HP ammo for CCW.

From what I could gather from other sites, the P938 needs 124 grain or heavier for reliability. Many 115 grain rounds seem

to not function well in this pistol. Over penetration is also a big consideration here as well for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts, suggestions welcome.

How about frangible ammo? Takes care of over penetration, but I don't know what you sacrifice in terms of effectiveness.

Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator supposedly creates a larger wound cavity than FMJ without having a hollow point or expanding. From what I recall in youtube videos, penetration is comparable to FMJ. They aren't cheap and given their unusual shape I'd test extensively before using in a CCW gun. I know there's a youtube video of someone testing them in .380 and they were very malfunction prone. I'd feel more comfortable using them in a revolver.

And there are no laws in PA or DE that involve CCW with hollow points.

All the premium "defense ammo" will do nothing I'd you don't hit vitals. I carry WW NATO Spec 124 fmj.

But there is no question that if a premium "defense ammo" and ball ammo hit the same target area, the expanding bullet will do more damage and cause faster incapacitation. Other than heavy solids used for some dangerous game, there is a reason that hunters don't use FMJ-type bullets.

I would never even consider hunting a big game with an fmj bulle, since the goal is to put down the animal as quickly as possible.

But there is no question that if a premium "defense ammo" and ball ammo hit the same target area, the expanding bullet will do more damage and cause faster incapacitation. Other than heavy solids used for some dangerous game, there is a reason that hunters don't use FMJ-type bullets.

I would never even consider hunting a big game with an fmj bulle, since the goal is to put down the animal as quickly as possible.

Yes but we're talking non hollowpoint ammo here. The non hollowpoint ammo premium ammo available hasn't impressed me enough to pay the $1 or more a round they're asking for. One shot stops are usually defined as the bad guy stopping agressive action. If you research one shot stops you'll find in most of them the wounds inflicted are survivable. Most are not in themselves disabling. Many one shot stops are the result of the person being shot simply stopping because they don't want to be shot again.

There are really only three ways any animal dies from a single gunshot wound. You hit the medulla oblongata, the central processing unit, that controls heartbeat and breathing. You hit the heart, the pump. Or they bleed out.

The first two targets are pretty small. Hard to hit in any animal. Even hit in the heart the animal can keep going for a minute or longer. I've known of more than one deer that was shot through the heart running 100 yards or farther. More than one man who kept going for a minute or so too. Bleeding out can take longer than a few minutes. Requirements for expanding hunting ammo are designed to encourage bleed out if hit in a non vital area so the animal won't suffer a prolonged death from infection.

Animals don't know they are supposed to stop when shot. People do. There are documented cases where people take multiple gunshot wounds and keep fighting. 15-20 years ago there was a LEO who died from a gunshot wound in the upper arm. Totally survivable wound if if left untreated for days. He died from shock.

Overpenetration is a consideration but is over thought IMO. I like Speer Gold Dot 124 JHP. I don't think it's a magic bullet and would use any other bullet that would feed well and is reasonably accurate in my gun.

I pick Gold Dots to discuss as they were used in shootings by NYPD.

There was the guy with the knife that was hit, the rounds penetrated his body, and the fully expanded bullets were stopped by his heavy work jacket.

The shooting at the Empire State Building found NYPD officers being criticized for missing so many times and injuring (none seriously) bystanders. Most ignored the post shooting forensics which showed the bullet fragments injuring the bystanders were all from bullets that had penetrated the bad guy first.

Yes, there are other considerations but here the bullet performance varied.

I say NATO spec not because it's a littler hotter than SAAMI spec. A manufacturer can load it's ammo right up to SAAMI spec or a little softer. Not sure if that little softer will function well in my gun. I know NATO Spec will. I'm not a fan of +P and most 9mm pistols are designed to function with NATO spec.

• Like 1

If you can find it, Federal EFMJ 124gr +P.  I have a couple boxes.  Predecessor to the Federal Guard Dog ammo but at heavier bullet weight.  I think it's only sold to police right now.

I don't think it is being sold to anyone right now. I'm not sure if it performed poorly in tests or if federal decided that they weren't selling enough of it, or what but I think the original medium weight EFMJ (124gr in 9) was replaced with the light version (105gr) which is now the guard dog,