Newtonian

Post-Election Ammo Plan

We could experience a run on firearms and ammo after November 8, 2016, that will make 2010 seem like the land of plenty. Hard to believe that people were lining up outside WalMart at 6:30 in the morning to purchase one brick of .22lr, that all the retailers were out of that caliber for what seemed like forever. Remember all those hot deals that evaporated between the time you clicked "add to cart" and "check out"? And they weren't really deals unless you think $40 for a brick of bulk + $18 shipping is a bargain.

The shortage lasted much longer than anyone expected.

So what is your plan for the coming months? Years? Lifetime? One thing is certain: If you wait until gun owners start griping it will already be too late. 

Given the last round of insanity, the inevitable restrictions at the federal level if HRC ascends to the throne, and NJ's last and final for all time Republican governor leaving office in 15 months, I fear we are looking at very long-term problems. NJ residents are almost certain to have mail order ammo restrictions, if not an outright ban. And good reason to believe a SAFE ACT from Hell is coming to a state near you.

It may be time to stock up and self-impose serious rationing on ourselves. I believe, if things go bad today, that my days of going through 400 rounds of .22 and 150-200 of handgun calibers every range trip are over. Even if Trump gets elected there's sufficient uncertainty in all of this that I will not be complacent. 

I'm going to decide the number of rounds of each caliber I simply must have for an emergency and divide the rest by some reasonable number of range trips per year for the 15 or 20 years before I become senile or croak. That's an awfully pessimistic, and some would say unreasonably long-term plan but until I see reason to be optimistic that will be my strategy. 

I'm not going to turn into one of those old timers at the 300 yard range who shoot every 10 minutes, but I'll be keeping close track of my resources.

Reloading is the key.   All the ammo you need in A condensed version. Ready to make at your desire.  Except for .22 of course. But in that case, If people don't have A good stock pile of .22 after the last round of craziness they shouldn't be shooting it.

I have enough ammo on the shelf ready to shoot, and components for loading to last A looooong time.

Don't think it will be bad. Companies have been ramping up to this for awhile now.

But just in case...

Ammo Inventory at 95% - Check

Guns sighted in - Check

Guns cleaned and well lubed - Check

Mags loaded and ready - Check

Guns loaded and ready - Check

Weapons strategically staged - Check

Misc gear - Check

Security Cameras operational - Check

Security System operational - Check

All inventory logged and backed up - Check

Adequate coffee - Check

Beer - Failed Check, dang. [emoji57][emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Reloading certainly gives one more options, but six hours after the polls open may be a bit late to start thinking about a post-election ammo plan.

• Like 3

Reloading certainly gives one more options, but six hours after the polls open may be a bit late to start thinking about a post-election ammo plan.

Right on that one!  Ammo plan was conceived last fall, executed this spring, the beginning of the summer had prices at their lowest and inventory at their highest along with rebates from the major players.  If you didn't have it all in place by the end of the 3rd quarter, you are way to late to play in this game.    

Get on the bus early later this month. After the usual uptick starting tomorrow, the last chance to salvage anything will be Black Friday.

One dealer I know of has already announced 9MM for $8/box.  So if he has already decided then there are going to be big deals a coming. But, I venture to say, "Don't Blink!".

I just ordered 4000 .45 bullets last week to add to my stock. I already have plenty of powder but I should probably add some more primers to the mix. That, plus what is already on the shelf should hold me over for a while.

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm going to order another case or two right now.  

"It may be time to stock up and self-impose serious rationing on ourselves. I believe, if things go bad today, that my days of going through 400 rounds of .22 and 150-200 of handgun calibers every range trip are over. Even if Trump gets elected there's sufficient uncertainty in all of this that I will not be complacent. "

Yes, and I intend to pace myself on range trips.  

Truthfully, your plan should have been in motion last year. I've been stockpiling components since the Pulse shooting. I've had to split my powder storage and move some to the shop because I'm over the 100lb residential limit. 105K primers with 60K being #41s for ARs. Enough projectiles that I had to rebuild my storage and use 2x8s rather than 2x6s because the 2x6s were bowing due to the weight. If I scale back, that stash as it stands can keep me shooting for five years. The problem is, one of my kids is getting to that age where she's going to start shooting so I need to account for increased consumption. Kids....

Damn dude thats a lot lol. I only have a small compartment in my safe for just a few thousand worth of finished rounds

Im jealous.

I shoot alot. Not just in training but also product testing/evaluation. I've got 30K+ rounds of completed .223 with another 120K pieces of once-fired brass that's either either ready to load or ready to be processed. I need more projectiles though.

Been finding getting projectiles a problem also, esp in bulk.  Picked up a bunch a Hornady ZMax 50 grainers for the 223, vendor was dropping them.  Shoot better than the 55fmj and can do double duty for P Dogs and varmints.  Pretty much set for now.  

Reloading components dry up to during panic buys. 

Yep and that is why I always have A good stock set back. Hell I havnt loaded shot shells for A while because of the price I have been able to buy factory loads for.   And A slow week of trap and sporting clays is A 2 flat week (500 RDS for those that don't know A flat}

Been finding getting projectiles a problem also, esp in bulk.  Picked up a bunch a Hornady ZMax 50 grainers for the 223, vendor was dropping them.  Shoot better than the 55fmj and can do double duty for P Dogs and varmints.  Pretty much set for now.  

I saw over 100 boxes of 55gr Hornady FMJs (6k to a box) sell out in under 12 hours from a distributor.  I couldn't believe it.  I had purchased three boxes and figured they'd have more in a couple weeks when I was planning on buying more.  I was wrong.

I saw over 100 boxes of 55gr Hornady FMJs (6k to a box) sell out in under 12 hours from a distributor.  I couldn't believe it.  I had purchased three boxes and figured they'd have more in a couple weeks when I was planning on buying more.  I was wrong.

Well if the elections are going the way the exit polls predict, you may never see one of the 6k cases ever again sold to the public. You'll be lucky if vendors want to sell them by the 100 bullet pack.

Honestly, if you haven't stocked up, it's your own fault. I know finances, time of getting into shooting, etc are all valid reasons as to not buying inventory, but 80% of gun owners should have a nice ammo pile so far. Buying ammo for reasonable prices currently is fine but overpaying for panic prices is only adding to the panic issues.

I understand we are all worried about tonight, But even if Trump wins, the fight for Gun rights are going to be a tough one in NJ. With all the BS surrounding Christie, the chances of NJ electing a republican are slim to none. PHIL MURPHY is the one we need to watch.

from his website, he also called for a NJ SAFE ACT, this I saw in a magazine interview.

Getting tough on gun violence

The gun violence epidemic continues to plague our state and our nation. Tragically, guns remain a leading cause of death in our country:

• More than 33,000 people died in gun-related deaths in 2014 alone.
  • In 2015, New Jersey saw a 4 percent increase in homicides. The vast majority of these violent crimes involve a firearm — over 70 percent from 2012 to 2014, the last three years for which we have data.
  • Most tragically, dozens of people were killed last year in accidental gun deaths in which the shooter was five years old or younger — deaths that personalized, smart gun technology would prevent.

The gun violence epidemic is nothing short of a public health crisis. And yet, Governor Christie continues to stand in the way of sensible reforms. He has vetoed bills that had universal support from New Jerseyans. These bipartisan measures would have kept guns out of the hands of gang members and individuals convicted of making terroristic threats, restricted the size of gun magazines, and prohibited the sale of a powerful .50-caliber rifle — a ban Governor Christie himself proposed in the wake of the Sandy Hook tragedy.

Governor Christie even vetoed a bill that would have required gun retailers to carry at least one personalized, smart gun once it became commercially available. Smart gun technology would prevent unauthorized individuals from using a firearm. Only the NRA opposes adopting this technology, and in following its lead, Governor Christie’s hypocrisy shows through: he publicly defends the right to buy seemingly every gun on the market — except the one that will actually keep our children safe.

Governor Christie’s continued opposition to sensible gun safety regulations does not protect our Second Amendment rights. It simply makes us less safe.

The evidence is clear: the five states with the lowest rates of gun violence — Hawaii, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut — all have among the strictest gun safety regulations in the nation. Conversely, the states with the highest rates of gun violence all have weak gun safety regulations.

A truly comprehensive answer to reducing gun violence must come from the federal government. Yet that is not an excuse for inaction. When Phil Murphy is governor, New Jersey will be a national role model and we will lead this fight. Phil believes that sensible regulations can prevent gun violence while still preserving Second Amendment rights for law-abiding residents.

Specifically, as governor Phil Murphy would:

• Sign commonsense legislation that Christie vetoed: Phil Murphy would start by signing every piece of gun violence prevention legislation that Governor Christie has vetoed. These bills would have enacted bipartisan and sensible solutions, such as keeping guns out of the hands of gang members and domestic abusers.
  • Mandate gun safety training: No one should be able to purchase a firearm without first attending a gun safety training course.
  • Promote smart gun technology: We must regain our position as a leader in the smart gun movement by requiring all gun retailers to carry at least one smart gun once they are commercially available.
  • Keep guns out of the hands of those suffering with mental illness: New Jersey already requires background checks, but it should follow the lead of nearly half the states in the U.S. and require timely reporting of mental illness episodes to the national background check database.
  • Tax gun sales to prevent violence: All gun sales should be subject to a tax that will fund law enforcement, drug treatment centers, and mental health services.
  • Strengthen regulations on gun transfers: Phil Murphy would make it a crime to sell guns without conducting a mandatory background check, and would require individuals to register their firearms kept in the state.
  • Work with neighboring states to promote gun violence prevention: An estimated 80 percent of guns involved in crimes in New Jersey come from out of state. As governor, Phil Murphy will engage partners in neighboring states to find common ground on gun violence prevention efforts.
  • Direct the Attorney General to vigorously defend our gun laws: Governor Christie has allowed the Attorney General’s office to relax enforcement of our gun safety laws, including laws that prohibit illegally transporting guns into New Jersey from out of state. As governor, Phil Murphy would direct the Attorney General to vigorously defend and enforce our gun laws, rather than to act as an agent of the NRA.
  • Like 1

Angelo, good thread. I always enjoy ammo stockpile threads and videos, lol.

The implications of 1) the presidential election, 2) upcoming NJ governor election, and 3) the dormant but awaken anytime smart gun law; have been very much on my mind for the last several years. As such I have prepared accordingly over this period and have what I believe is an "adequate" number of firearms, magazines, and ammunition for my needs. Given this is a public forum, that is about as specific as I want to get.

Right on that one!  Ammo plan was conceived last fall, executed this spring, the beginning of the summer had prices at their lowest and inventory at their highest along with rebates from the major players.  If you didn't have it all in place by the end of the 3rd quarter, you are way to late to play in this game.    

Get on the bus early later this month. After the usual uptick starting tomorrow, the last chance to salvage anything will be Black Friday.

One dealer I know of has already announced 9MM for $8/box.  So if he has already decided then there are going to be big deals a coming. But, I venture to say, "Don't Blink!".

Aw c'mon I just bought a shit load. There's still plenty of ammo at fairly good prices. 

Who has 9s for $8? I've been on ammoseek every day. 

I understand we are all worried about tonight, But even if Trump wins, the fight for Gun rights are going to be a tough one in NJ. With all the BS surrounding Christie, the chances of NJ electing a republican are slim to none. PHIL MURPHY is the one we need to watch.

At the beginning of a Lina Wertmuller movie decades ago they showed a vignette of "some who left us too soon," followed by one of Hitler, "and others who should have been strangled in the cradle."

A Trump win will delay the insanity in NJ for 14 months and 14 months only. That's when the shit hits the fan for us. Can't hurt to plan for life though. 

Reloading is not for me. I'm not detailed or neat enough. It doesn't grab me as a hobby (of which I already have too many). The startup and ongoing costs don't make sense for me. 

Looks like Trump and the house and the senate all went red...as said earlier buys us in the PRN 14 more months but could help restore balance in the judicial system for a generation.

Looks like Trump and the house and the senate all went red...as said earlier buys us in the PRN 14 more months but could help restore balance in the judicial system for a generation.

Well, keep in mind that the DNC decided that EVERYONE mut toe the line on gun control and just got their ass handed to them across the board. They might be readjusting their stance on that particular plank.

• Like 1

Who has 9s for $8? I've been on ammoseek every day. 

Well known Bucks County retailer we all know and love.  Will be part of their Black Friday event.   No details yet on limits, etc.

Well, keep in mind that the DNC decided that EVERYONE mut toe the line on gun control and just got their ass handed to them across the board. They might be readjusting their stance on that particular plank.

And she was warned again this campaign to back off and she did not. No surprises here.  You ain't touching rural values no matter the party affiliation.   

• Like 1

Well known Bucks County retailer we all know and love.  Will be part of their Black Friday event.   No details yet on limits, etc.

You must be related to the guy who had a secret shooting location in PA, "across the river," that only cost the price of a Pennsy hunting ticket  :)

I'll keep track through HOT DEALS, where I'm sure you'll post because you're an upstanding guy.