Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Transporting collection for move to Florida

So my move date got pushed back to the 25th, and I'm taking my truck on the auto train. Amtrak said it's fine that I bring my guns as long as I let them know a few days in advance. I plan on locking everything in my safe, unloaded, and all my ammo in a separate container (for no reason other than storage). Do you expect I'll run into any problems? Anything I should be aware of?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So my move date got pushed back to the 25th, and I'm taking my truck on the auto train. Amtrak said it's fine that I bring my guns as long as I let them know a few days in advance. I plan on locking everything in my safe, unloaded, and all my ammo in a separate container (for no reason other than storage). Do you expect I'll run into any problems? Anything I should be aware of?

Are you sure that firearms are allowed on the Auto Train?  The last few times I rode the Auto Train, I was told they are prohibited because the Auto Train doesn't have a baggage car with a secure cage in which to store the check in firearms.  They do have such a car on other long distance trains. And you are not permitted to keep them in the vehicle you are transporting, either.   I'd double check that if I were you. If they are permitted now, then that's a significant change to their operation and must have happened within the last two years.

Otherwise, you may be in for quite the surprise (and a very bad day) when their search dogs alert on your car. 

ETA:   I just called the Auto Train Div.  And I was told firearms are *still* prohibited aboard the Auto Train!!!  Please double check again!!!

• Like 1

Just drive down and split it to 2 days. I was fine with 3 dogs and a packed suv.

Precisely what I did when I left NJ.  Once they were out of NJ, I was covered under FOPA, until I arrived in FL. 

Also, I drove a precise route to avoid traveling through the Baltimore Tunnel area.  I would avoid that area at all costs. 

My Route:   

I-78 W  all the way through Harrisburg PA

I-81 S, all the way through to VA. Minimizes travel through MD to about 10 minutes in Hagerstown.

I-77 S,  through VA, NC and SC, ending near Columbia SC.

I-26 E towards Charleston

I-95 South to GA & FL.

If you must travel down the I-95 Corridor from NJ, etc. , then, at least, travel down US 301 along the Eastern Shore and across the Bay Bridge to US-50 W, and then pick up the Capital Beltway  (I-495). You can then enter VA by crossing the Potomac and get onto I-95 from there. It avoids the tunnels and DC itself.

I'll have to call them tomorrow because when I called them the first time and explained everything they said if I gave advance notice they might be able to help.

The ticket is already booked. An early birthday present from family. So either way, I'm taking the train. I'll just have to ship some stuff ahead is all.

Edit to add: checked the website. Apparently they have a checked firearms policy, and I sent an email to their customer service dept asking for clarification on my circumstances. So I'll see by tomorrow. Hopefully.

Precisely what I did when I left NJ.  Once they were out of NJ, I was covered under FOPA, until I arrived in FL. 

Also, I drove a precise route to avoid traveling through the Baltimore Tunnel area.  I would avoid that area at all costs. 

My Route:   

I-81 S, all the way through to VA. Minimizes travel through MD to about 10 minutes in Hagerstown.

I-95 South to GA & FL.

If you must travel down the I-95 Corridor from NJ, etc. , then, at least, travel down US 301 along the Eastern Shore and across the Bay Bridge to US-50 W, and then pick up the Capital Beltway  (I-495). You can then enter VA by crossing the Potomac and get onto I-95 from there. It avoids the tunnels and DC itself.

Whats wrong with the Baltimore tunnel? Is it the ammo and explosive prohibition? 

Just drive down and split it to 2 days. I was fine with 3 dogs and a packed suv.

lol when i was younger and dumber I did the drive from Annandale NJ to Singer Island FL in 16.5 hours. I would not recommend trying to come close to that time with firearms in the vehicle though.
  • Like 1

Whats wrong with the Baltimore tunnel?

Aggressive Maryland cops that like to find guns and run people through the system.   Supposedly they have plate scanners linked to a FL concealed carry database.  They jacked one guy up a few years ago and he didn't even have a gun in the car.  The cop keep pressuring "Where's the gun" and the wife said "I don't know where he put it" and then it was a trip through Maryland Injustice.

I'll have to call them tomorrow because when I called them the first time and explained everything they said if I gave advance notice they might be able to help.

The ticket is already booked. An early birthday present from family. So either way, I'm taking the train. I'll just have to ship some stuff ahead is all.

Edit to add: checked the website. Apparently they have a checked firearms policy, and I sent an email to their customer service dept asking for clarification on my circumstances. So I'll see by tomorrow. Hopefully.

Make absolutely sure they know you are referring to the "Auto Train"  and not any other long distance train, on which firearms may be transported if properly checked in.  There is, actually, a dedicated customer service unit for the Auto Train (1-877-SKIP-I95).  Call that number for confirmation.

Whats wrong with the Baltimore tunnel? Is it the ammo and explosive prohibition? 

Aggressive Maryland cops that like to find guns and run people through the system.   Supposedly they have plate scanners linked to a FL concealed carry database.  They jacked one guy up a few years ago and he didn't even have a gun in the car.  The cop keep pressuring "Where's the gun" and the wife said "I don't know where he put it" and then it was a trip through Maryland Injustice.

Precisely.    Read this Washington Times Article on John Fillippidis.   Now, what the MCAC has in re: FL plates might be old info, because FL 's concealed carry records are now protected by law and cannot be accessed in bulk like that.  So, if your FL CWFL was more recent, MCAC may not have it. Still, one should simply avoid that area altogether. They do use ALPR cameras on all the tunnels.  Those are critical assets.  A terrorist attack would be devastating and cost   a tremendous amount of $$$ to repair/replace.  A bridge would also be costly, but not as much...

Edit to add: checked the website. Apparently they have a checked firearms policy, and I sent an email to their customer service dept asking for clarification on my circumstances.

That policy applies only to trains that have a baggage car with a secure steel cage (where they keep firearms that are checked in).  The Auto Train does not have a baggage car because the expectation is that it would not be needed... i.e. people would use their cars for "baggage storage."  To put a baggage car on the Auto Train would be too costly to do only for folks that want to check in firearms. And you can't store them in your car because that's not considered "secure." While the container cars are locked during travel, the conductor would still have a key, and the car handlers would, of course, still have access to what's inside the cars.

Which brings up a good point about the Auto Train. Make sure you can turn off your alarm, especially if it's passive. The vibrations would set it off, continuously, and the last thing you want to have happen is for your battery to run out and block other cars from getting off the container cars.  When you check in your car, they walk around taking video of the car's condition.The assign you a number on a magnetic plate that they stick on the drivers door. Remember that number!  Then they put seat /wheel/floor covers on the drivers side, and they leave the driver window open in case the car locks from the inside. This, because they also leave the keys inside the car.  Check in time is also when the Amtrak Police send the dog around the car for a quick sniff.  They only sniff the outside perimeter. As long as the dog doesn't alert, you're good to go.  On occaision, they will also bring the same dog inside the terminal to sniff around a bit as well.  I believe they are alerting on explosives, more than drugs, etc. So if you carry a lot of powder, etc. or reloads, or whatever, be sure to clean that thoroughly before you bring it down there.

I drove back and forth to FL 3 times in early 2015 for my move. Each time was 95 all the way. First time down was a few firearms. Brought at least one back with me. 2nd trip was a UHaul van full of firearms, ammo, primers and powder. Trip back had at least one firearm with me. Final drive down had a few firearms in car.

Never had an issue. Drive within the speed limits and don't make yourself noticeable to police by doing something stupid, careless or reckless and you'll be fine.

So I finally got an email back from Amtrak, and it turns out the first person that said I could, lied. And Hbec was right. They do not allow firearms on the autotrain. So now I have to find another way to get my stuff down there. I can't drive, ticket is non refundable. I may just ship my stuff ahead of me, sans powder and primers.

My Route:   

I-95 South to GA & FL.

That may be okay if you live near 78 but is somewhat laborious if you live in Carney's Point like the OP. One bad experience vs the millions of people transporting guns on I95 through the Baltimore tunnels every year does not seem worth adding hours to the trip.

Don't kill yourself take 2 days to make the trip on I95 if there's only 1 driver.

• Like 1

I'm still taking the train. I'll just ship my AR ahead of me in my hard case, and have an FFL ship my pistol down.

Luckily I don't have an alarm on my truck. So I don't need to worry about that and honestly it never even crossed my mind that I might have to worry about it.

So I finally got an email back from Amtrak, and it turns out the first person that said I could, lied. And Hbec was right. They do not allow firearms on the autotrain. So now I have to find another way to get my stuff down there. I can't drive, ticket is non refundable. I may just ship my stuff ahead of me, sans powder and primers.

Tell them you want a refund. You purchased your ticket based on the bad info that their employee gave you.

Did you charge it on a credit card? If so, call your credit card company and ask them what remedies are available to you

Within a certain time frame, the tickets are refundable, less a $100.00 penalty.   I incurred that when I canceled the last trip I would have taken with them.  But I don't think you can do that within like 48 or 72 hours prior to the travel date.

That may be okay if you live near 78 but is somewhat laborious if you live in Carney's Point like the OP. One bad experience vs the millions of people transporting guns on I95 through the Baltimore tunnels every year does not seem worth adding hours to the trip.

Don't kill yourself take 2 days to make the trip on I95 if there's only 1 driver.

I always took 2 days. I overnight-ed, usually in Richburg, SC, just south of the border.    

As for Carney's Point, then I would do what I mentioned above, and take US-301 down the Eastern Shore to the Bay Bridge, and across US 50W to the Cap. Beltway, and then down I-95 from there.

I always took 2 days. I overnight-ed, usually in Richburg, SC, just south of the border.    

As for Carney's Point, then I would do what I mentioned above, and take US-301 down the Eastern Shore to the Bay Bridge, and across US 50W to the Cap. Beltway, and then down I-95 from there.

That adds a couple of hours to the trip. Not worth it for the one in several million chance IMO. You stand a greater chance of being struck by lightning.

That adds a couple of hours to the trip. Not worth it for the one in several million chance IMO. You stand a greater chance of being struck by lightning.

2 addl.hours?  Really?  I've done both routes many, many times. Just to be clear, we are talking about Carney's Point right near the Del. Memorial Bridge, right?  

Here is the Google Maps routing for the complete travel down I-95, from the Del. Memorial Bridge to Exit 163 in Lorton, VA (which, as it turns out, is the End Terminus for the Auto Train).

Here is the Map for the same two destinations, going down the Eastern Shore, via US 301

As you can see, the difference is only 9 miles and 14 minutes....  Traffic being equal.   And there is, usually, much less traffic going down the US 301 Eastern Shore Route, prior to the US-50 merge.   Not only do you avoid the Baltimore Harbour tunnel area, but you also avoid the traffic around Washington DC itself.

Okay strike my couple of hours for the 301 route. Try Carney's Point using your 78 route. The rest of my comments still stand.

If you insist on leaving bright and early you will have rush hour traffic no matter which way you go. Leave later, mid day traffic is not bad.

Okay strike my couple of hours for the 301 route. Try Carney's Point using your 78 route. The rest of my comments still stand.

If you insist on leaving bright and early you will have rush hour traffic no matter which way you go. Leave later, mid day traffic is not bad.

No, I agree that the I-78 route would not work from Carney's Point.  Much better to go down the 301 route in that case. 

The reason why the I-78 works well for me is that the last of my family that lives in NJ (and the only reason to visit it these days) lives in Hunterdon County. Perfect for I-78. I would simply stay in the Allentown PA area with my "inventory," which will never see NJ soil again... never!

I'm still taking the train. I'll just ship my AR ahead of me in my hard case, and have an FFL ship my pistol down.

Luckily I don't have an alarm on my truck. So I don't need to worry about that and honestly it never even crossed my mind that I might have to worry about it.

Recon - You are scheduled to travel this Friday.  Best of luck, and hope you were able to get your "inventory" shipped appropriately.  

Let us know how things went.

Regards,

Hbec

Quick update: most of my collection is staying in new Jersey. Only sending two of my most prized to Florida. I'll be back up eventually to get the rest of my stuff, or if my family comes down, they'll just bring the safe with them.

I'm super excited to do this. Because this will be the first time I'm striking out on my own.

So it's been about 4 days since I got to Cape Coral. Already eyed up a new stock for the AR, have my hand gun loaded in my night stand. The train ride down was ok, people behind me were loud, but what's new.

As far as my fire arms go, not once did I see a dog doing security checks around the cars. I did see one in the terminal, but that was it.

Freedom tastes great boys! And it's 81 today.