NJGF

What Gun Would Be Easiest To Use By A Female With Zero Training For Self Defense

I am looking for a gun that would be usable by a small adult female in a self defense situation. The person has has absolutely no experience with firearms and will not be getting any experience.

I know that normally I would say don't even think about using a firearm in this situation but if someone is breaking into her house in the middle of the night, having a gun with no training might be better than not having any gun (this is obviously debatable).

So given the premise which type of gun would be easiest and simplest for this person to have?

I was thinking of the following:

A semi-auto pistol but they might have issues knowing how to hold it to allow it to function properly. And if it malfunctioned they would have no idea how to clear it. Yet most of the time it would function properly so this might be OK.

A revolver might be more fool proof but the long heavier trigger pull might be an issue for a first time user (keeping it steady and aimed during the trigger pull). Incorrectly holding the revolver could be dangerous (for example putting their hand around the cylinder gap).

Something in 9 mm might be optimal but I also wonder if the lower recoil from a similarly sized handgun in .380 or 38 special might be easier to handle (along with the reduced noise).

A shotgun might be simpler to shoulder and aim. Maybe a .410 which would have the least recoil and noise. I doubt that a novice would know how to rack a pump so I was thinking about a semi-automatic. Reliability might be an issue.

Along the lines of the .410 shotgun would something like the S&W Governor be doable (a revolver that takes .410 shot shells)? A shotgun would seem to be a better choice.

Would a 9 mm carbine be easier to handle than a shotgun or handgun? 

I have eliminated anything chambered in .223 as a 9 mm carbine would seem to be lighter and easier to handle and effective enough. On the other end I have eliminated any .22 as too under powered for self defense although it would definitely be the easiest to handle.

I am interested in getting opinions on this.

I am looking for a gun that would be usable by a small adult female in a self defense situation. The person has has absolutely no experience with firearms and will not be getting any experience.

I know that normally I would say don't even think about using a firearm in this situation but if someone is breaking into her house in the middle of the night, having a gun with no training might be better than not having any gun (this is obviously debatable).

Without being nosey, are you 100% sure your assumption is right? That she is thoroughly unwilling to be trained? Maybe if you encouraged her to try a shooting class for women, she might find it less intimidating? Has she even been to a range?

I went to a range for the first time because there was a murder in my neighborhood and my NRA-card carrying uncle was on the phone to me as soon as it hit the news (like... instantly). Frankly, I went to the range just to get him to stop bugging me. I never thought I'd enjoy it so much... I would have rolled on the floor laughing if you told me I'd be a gun owner one day.

So, I would tend to explore her resistance first. It seems you're putting the cart before the horse. Willingness to learn seems like a pretty big prerequisite to owning a firearm IMO.

But, others on here are smarter than me about this stuff... let's let them weigh in. Just adding my 2 cents.

• Like 4

You know that liberal lie about if you own a gun the chances are high that it will be used against you? Might just be true in the scenario you outline.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 4

I'm with Bob^^^!  Buy her a baseball bat or teach her how to pee herself.  Become the Facebook meme.  My 8 yr old son knew more about gun handling 20 years ago than a full-grown woman of today.  How embarrassing!

• Like 1

Have her get training. There is no excuse. There are multitudes of things that can go wrong. Please don't take this as being condescending. But maybe get her some OC spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

One of those blank firing guns.

Forget the "tactical" training. If she cannot at least learn the proper use/ handling, maintenance, and storage that would make her comfortable with a firearm, the she (or anyone else in that situation) should not have one. Again, I'm not saying your friend has to take "urban pistol ninja XXIV class" or anything like that. A basic pistol safety course would go a long way.

Maybe look into Gun For Hire. IIRC I think they do some kind of instruction where you can try different guns. It would be good to try before she buys.

Learning safety builds confidence (once you understand that it isn't going to blow your face off).

I trained people by making them pick one of my guns that they liked, learn to disassemble/ assemble it (to learn function), then dry fire with snap caps (including malfunction clearing) and then it was off to the range.

In the mean time, tell her to upgrade her locks and get an alarm system. 3/4 oz. of O.C. can be helpful as well. 

• Like 1

Would you believe if I said I didnt know which was business end when I first saw a handgun in person ?  Ok, little bit of exaggeration, but people assume lot of things from watching stupid movies. 

There is her safety, safety of others in house (if she is living with someone), there is stress of intrusion / assault, then there is stress of reaching, getting and using the firearm if/when needed.  Basic safety course and little bit of time at the range should help with most of it. 

After all the lecture / disclaimer, how about Ruger LC9.  Light, compact, looooooong pull.

A few hours training is not hard to take.

Giving a gun to someone who has no knowledge of guns is inviting disaster. Just not knowing what it feels like to shoot a gun before using one to defend oneself is enough reason to not give one to the untrained.

How much training? My youngest daughter had no interest in guns...until she became a Mom. I gave her a pick of a variety of handguns hoping she would pick the 4" M10 S&W. That included discussion of how they work. She picked the 4" M10.

That was follower by about an hour of discussion including dry fire and sighting. The first 6 rds she fired double action at 7 yds were maybe a 6" group,not exactly centered but it most certainly would attract the bad guy's attention.

After about 100 rds of wadcutters she was shooting 5 out of 6 in 3" @ 7 yd. The one round might make it 4 or 5 inches.

I take it you're a newer shooter (like 40 or under). I say this because you talk of the difficulty of firing a DA revolver. Millions of us old farts learned on a DA revolver. It's not that hard. After that everything else is easy. Take your time. Take a rest if your hand gets tired.

A DA revolver has a easier manual of arms. Stay away from j frames for a new shooter. Teach them how to decock safely. Ask me if you don't know how.

• Like 3

Just my thoughts take them as you want. If as you say she will not be getting any training.  If things go bump in the night and she turns that gun on A loved one or friend, Or even grabs it and harms herself with A ND.  Do you want to have to deal with the fact that you helped her to get that gun?

If she wants A gun for protection but doesn't want to seek training and knowledge of the proper handling and use of A gun. Then she should not have one. 

Step one basic training, step 2 training. if shes not willing, buy her A dog.

Just my thoughts take them as you want. If as you say she will not be getting any training. If things go bump in the night and she turns that gun on A loved one or friend, Or even grabs it and harms herself with A ND. Do you want to have to deal with the fact that you helped her to get that gun?

If she wants A gun for protection but doesn't want to seek training and knowledge of the proper handling and use of A gun. Then she should not have one.

Step one basic training, step 2 training. if shes not willing, buy her A dog.

^^^ This all day long.

Also, this:

I have eliminated anything chambered in .223 as a 9 mm carbine would seem to be lighter and easier to handle and effective enough.

is false.

A 9mm carbine will weigh and handle the same as a .233 counterpart. Additionally, a .223 has less felt recoil and ballistically will lose energy faster and become less likely to injure someone than any handgun or shotgun round if it misses and passes through normal stateside construction materials before striking someone.

I am looking for a <?> that would be usable by a small adult female... The person has absolutely no experience with <?> and will not be getting any experience.

<?> =  Car, helicopter, table saw, wing suit, SCUBA gear, laser scalpel...

Funny thing, if you substitute in any potentially dangerous item for 'gun' in the original request, it's still a spectacularly bad idea.    

Either drop the 'will not be getting any experience' idea, or drop the 'get a gun' idea.

• Like 3

SNIP

I am interested in getting opinions on this.

Based upon your first statement - "...absolutely no experience with firearms and will not be getting any..." - I would hesitate recommending anything beyond a squirt gun for her.  Without any experience or education, she is a hazard to herself and others.

• Like 1

So you're going to make a straw purchase of a handgun for someone who has never shot and has no interest in shooting except -- to shoot someone who threatens her? When this person asked you to get her a gun she specifically told you that she does not intend to learn anything about it? 

I would ask this person the first time you drove did someone just hand you the keys and say, "Here you go.  Good luck!".  

I would guess probably not.  They either A) took a driving class or b) Had someone else in the car with them and started out in a very controlled area (deserted parking lot, empty back roads, etc).  They didn't just jump in a car and head out onto the Parkway during rush hour by themselves.

Why would they think purchasing a firearm is any different? 

• Like 2

I would encourage them to join you at the range.  Tell them you can't really recommend anything because you don't know what would be comfortable for them to operate.  Tell them you have a nice selection of firearms and that you would be more than happy to let them try as many as they would like.  Once at range you can give them safety, handling and operating instructions.

I wouldn't be comfortable recommending anything to someone who " has has absolutely no experience with firearms and will not be getting any experience".  They've got the wrong mindset.  

I've had some people tell me why they probably shouldn't own a gun (short temper, liable to take it out in totally wrong situtations, etc)  and haven't tried to talk them into buying one.  I just say, "Yeah, maybe you shouldn't get one then.".  Some people aren't prepared for the responsibility.  

• Like 1

I would encourage them to join you at the range. Tell them you can't really recommend anything because you don't know what would be comfortable for them to operate. Tell them you have a nice selection of firearms and that you would be more than happy to let them try as many as they would like. Once at range you can give them safety, handling and operating instructions.

I wouldn't be comfortable recommending anything to someone who " has has absolutely no experience with firearms and will not be getting any experience". They've got the wrong mindset.

I've had some people tell me why they probably shouldn't own a gun (short temper, liable to take it out in totally wrong situtations, etc) and haven't tried to talk them into buying one. I just say, "Yeah, maybe you shouldn't get one then.". Some people aren't prepared for the responsibility.

This is some solid advice.

after yrs of prodding I finally got my wife to accept the idea of "something is better than nothing". she now owns my little S&W 63 8 shot 22 revo. Lightweight and simple. Likes it, shoots it accurate enough for self defense and is ok with the trigger pull. No way no how will shoot anything bigger or interested in a semi, too much info lol. I get her to the range a few times a yr to keep her tuned into that gun. I at least know she has 8 shots of 22 at her disposal and knows how to handle it. A little range time is a must or dont even bother giving her a gun. You owe it to yourselves to make sure she can handle and shoot it, thats not training just common sense.

after yrs of prodding I finally got my wife to accept the idea of "something is better than nothing". she now owns my little S&W 63 8 shot 22 revo. Lightweight and simple. Likes it, shoots it accurate enough for self defense and is ok with the trigger pull. No way no how will shoot anything bigger or interested in a semi, too much info lol. I get her to the range a few times a yr to keep her tuned into that gun. I at least know she has 8 shots of 22 at her disposal and knows how to handle it. A little range time is a must or dont even bother giving her a gun. You owe it to yourselves to make sure she can handle and shoot it, thats not training just common sense.

I agree with this.

My wife started out with a .22. She has upgraded to a 9.

She would not keep it loaded in her bed safe until she fired it.

Range time or let any mishap be on your conscience.

While a .22 is not optimal, I wouldn't want to get shot with one.

Dog

Kimber Pepper Blaster

Self defense classes

Good flashlight with striker bezel or 3-4 C or D cells

Assisted opening knife

I'd suggest those over a gun for this person. If I had to suggest a gun for someone who would have minimal training and is going to be possibly weight and recoil sensitive, something in a .22 magnum would be my thought. Significantly more power in the mag vs a LR, better bullets, typically much more reliable, and while stouter recoil than a LR, still will be lower than almost any centerfire except maybe 5.7x28. I have only shot a few rounds of .22mag, but I remember it feeling extremely easy to control. To someone who has no experience or training, it might still feel like a hand cannon.

Laugh all you want, but maybe a lever .22mag might be the best option, easier to aim, lightweight, anyone who has seen a western knows the operation, no safety (least not on my Henry h001), reasonably fast operation, light trigger pull, and fun at a range. But again, without at least some training, a gun is not likely the best way to go.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help. Although laudable, training is not going to happen. I doubt she will even apply for a FPID so this discussion was more for me to know if this would even be practical. She already carries pepper spray so I guess I won't push any further at least at this point. I will very gently try to get her to try shooting but I doubt I will be successful. Thanks all.

First I am a very big supporter of getting training and staying trained.

That being said I don't think this is as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

If a women is home alone with absolutely no defense but a baseball bat (which could be used against her) I would think she should take her chances of using a gun to stop from being raped or killed even if she had no training. Heck just pointing a gun with a laser on it might be enough to deter a criminal.

The point of my question was to see which firearm would be better in this situation.

I don't think the analogy to driving is quite the same. If my life depended upon escaping with no other alternatives I would try flying an airplane.

Unfortunately guns have become so stigmatized that some people will not be comfortable even trying.

First I am a very big supporter of getting training and staying trained.

That being said I don't think this is as easy as everyone makes it out to be.

If a women is home alone with absolutely no defense but a baseball bat (which could be used against her) I would think she should take her chances of using a gun to stop from being raped or killed even if she had no training. Heck just pointing a gun with a laser on it might be enough to deter a criminal.

The point of my question was to see which firearm would be better in this situation.

I don't think the analogy to driving is quite the same. If my life depended upon escaping with no other alternatives I would try flying an airplane.

Unfortunately guns have become so stigmatized that some people will not be comfortable even trying.

No stigma attached to guns. You need to know how they work though. When you say no training that means here's a gun and ammo figure it out yourself. If someone is interested in their own self defense it would seem logical to get at least a few hours of training. Easier to learn how to use a gun than getting a black belt in some martial art.

Training takes many forms. Those of us who were brought up shooting. To those that take NRA basic pistol and beyond.

I think the point others are trying to make NJGF is: does this female even know which way to point it? The firearms safety laws? How to load it? How to store it safely? And how to shoot it ( safely , for herself and innocent bystanders)?

No stigma attached to guns.

I didn't say it well but I meant that society has placed such a stigma on guns that some people are literally afraid to be near them. It is a shame because they are the great equalizer (particularly for women) if one knows how to properly use them.

I think the point others are trying to make NJGF is: does this female even know which way to point it? The firearms safety laws? How to load it? How to store it safely? And how to shoot it ( safely , for herself and innocent bystanders)?

Almost everyone who goes to the movies knows which is the business end of a gun (even women who haven't grown up playing cops and robbers I would think) but for the rest almost surely not and I am not disagreeing with anyone on those points.