PK90

National Anthem

because they don't care? because they campaign against all it represents?

look man, if you don't want to stand or take off your hat that's ok by me, you do what you want. hell i've stayed seated occasionally, usually with a huge tray of food in my lap, and i won't ever take off a hat if i'm wearing one (rare). 100% of the time it means bad hair day, so why expose it? but one thing you cannot question is the meaning of the anthem and the respect it deserves. so don't ever try to purposely disrespect it around me by messing up the lines or "making it your own" or taking a knee in protest.  to me it's the greatest anthem in the world and represents this country so brilliantly. fun fact: i sing it every time i hear it (even in public), and my eyes get moist every time i hear it. 

i'm just going to leave this here. gets me every. time. :

• Like 1

Some tweets I see;

This Aretha rendition may force players to take a knee just because their feet are getting tired. Christ.

We sat down for dinner at "o say can you see" and now we're serving dessert

I was able to do all my Christmas shopping while Aretha sang the national anthem

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

This isn't the first "artist" to go off their loop when singing the anthem. Won't be the last. Wasn't even the worst.

I chalk it up to their narcissism more than lack of patriotism. They feel they have to make everything their own, about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Fuck the nfl! 

Fuck all the disrespectful scum bags that play it! 

Fuck the people that run the nfl for letting the players do the shit that they do. 

Lastly, fuck anyone who supports the nfl! 

• Like 7

Fuck the nfl!

Fuck all the disrespectful scum bags that play it!

Fuck the people that run the nfl for letting the players do the shit that they do.

Lastly, fuck anyone who supports the nfl!

Dude, have a Snickers... jeesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

because they don't care? because they campaign against all it represents?

look man, if you don't want to stand or take off your hat that's ok by me, you do what you want. hell i've stayed seated occasionally, usually with a huge tray of food in my lap, and i won't ever take off a hat if i'm wearing one (rare). 100% of the time it means bad hair day, so why expose it? but one thing you cannot question is the meaning of the anthem and the respect it deserves. so don't ever try to purposely disrespect it around me by messing up the lines or "making it your own" or taking a knee in protest.  to me it's the greatest anthem in the world and represents this country so brilliantly. fun fact: i sing it every time i hear it (even in public), and my eyes get moist every time i hear it. 

i'm just going to leave this here. gets me every. time. :

I'm confused...you tear up at the sound of the anthem but "occasionally" can't bother to stand or "remove your hat because of a bad hair day"?...."fun fact"...failure to stand or remove cover is disrespectful occasionally or not 

Thoughts on Jimi Hendrix?

I'll be honest, not a huge fan. I like the beginning but then he goes off tangent. At this stage it is iconic.

There is also a huge difference between doing it at your concert, where is it about you, and a sporting event, where it isn't.

Nothing against Aretha... obviously an extremely talented lady who deserves R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

But the National Anthem is one of those songs that deserves the same, and deserves to be sung the way it was written... straight forward and almost "hymn like."   Maybe that's just me, but I really don't like singers "interpreting" the National Anthem to that extent.

That said, I think Lady Gaga at the Super Bowl nailed it, even though she flunked the "Banner yet wave" test..  :D

I'm confused...you tear up at the sound of the anthem but "occasionally" can't bother to stand or "remove your hat because of a bad hair day"?...."fun fact"...failure to stand or remove cover is disrespectful occasionally or not 

it's not like that at all. i always stand, except for the couple of times i had large quantities of food in my lap, which by my recollection is twice. and no, i won't ever remove my hat, but i can count the number of times i've worn a hat in public on one hand, so non-issue. still, i don't hold it against anyone who won't do it. don't get caught up in rituals and routines and pass them off as "respect". there's nobody who respects the national anthem more than i do. just not as hung up on the rituals and ceremonial rites as others. you can still have "respect" and not do those things, trust me. see, to me, it is disrespectful to scream and yell like a moron while it's being performed, far more than someone not taking off a damn hat. but that's just me.

let me ask you something. when you were home watching aretha butcher the anthem, were you purposely standing up during it? do you ever stand when the anthem comes on and you're home? why not? what is it about being around 50,000 screaming idiots whom you don't know that causes the behavioral change? it's fascinating stuff to me (not being sarcastic)

it's not like that at all. i always stand, except for the couple of times i had large quantities of food in my lap, which by my recollection is twice. and no, i won't ever remove my hat, but i can count the number of times i've worn a hat in public on one hand, so non-issue. still, i don't hold it against anyone who won't do it. don't get caught up in rituals and routines and pass them off as "respect". there's nobody who respects the national anthem more than i do. just not as hung up on the rituals and ceremonial rites as others. you can still have "respect" and not do those things, trust me. see, to me, it is disrespectful to scream and yell like a moron while it's being performed, far more than someone not taking off a damn hat. but that's just me.

let me ask you something. when you were home watching aretha butcher the anthem, were you purposely standing up during it? do you ever stand when the anthem comes on and you're home? why not? what is it about being around 50,000 screaming idiots whom you don't know that causes the behavioral change? it's fascinating stuff to me (not being sarcastic)

I wasn't watching/don't/won't watch sports not my thing.... I don't wear hats ....but if I did I would remove it during the national anthem ...but that's is me feel free to show your "respect" by sitting, eating, wearing hats, talking and whatever else you feel expresses your level of respect for the flag/anthem/those who gave their lives So you can sit with a tray of over priced food beer and team hats cheering on fake warriors in a mock battle making millions a year showing their "respect" by sitting too

I wasn't watching/don't/won't watch sports not my thing.... I don't wear hats ....but if I did I would remove it during the national anthem ...but that's is me feel free to show your "respect" by sitting, eating, wearing hats, talking and whatever else you feel expresses your level of respect for the flag/anthem/those who gave their lives So you can sit with a tray of over priced food beer and team hats cheering on fake warriors in a mock battle making millions a year showing their "respect" by sitting too

I have to agree with PJD. He beat me to it. It's inconvenient to stand because you have a tray of food on your lap. Shows a lot of respect for the volunteers who gave their life for that pleasure.

This may seem weird but, believe it or not,  Fox News channel still does the "National Anthem" (although I don't care for this particular arrangement) like most of the broadcast networks used to do when they actually went off the air in the late night (and came back in the early morning).  FNC does it every Sat. & Sun. morning at 5:58a. The video has a rep. from each of the armed forces saluting at the end (i.e. "O'r the land of the freeeeeee..."). 

Whenever I can catch it, I'll stand at attention and salute.

For the 2005 Superbowl, a combination of choral groups from the service academies sang a very stirring version of the National Anthem. The chorus was comprised of member of the United States Military Academy at West Point, the US Air Force Academy, the US Coast Guard Academy, and the US Naval Academy, putting aside their traditional rivalries and performed a beautiful rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. Here is the link to the YouTube video/audio:

As a side note, but in a similar vein, I always love to hear the recording of Ray Charles singing his rendition of America The Beautiful. Here is a link to one of his performances of that wonderful song:

AVB-AMG

Whoever played the jazzy version of the anthem at the Knicks-Cavs game tonight won the worst anthem ever contest. Seriously, all other pretenders go home because these guys won by a landslide. It was worse than any anthem in which the singer forgot the words. Video isn't up yet, but google it in a few days. I'm sure the all-knowing comments section will validate my opinion.

This may seem weird but, believe it or not, Fox News channel still does the "National Anthem" (although I don't care for this particular arrangement) like most of the broadcast networks used to do when they actually went off the air in the late night (and came back in the early morning). FNC does it every Sat. & Sun. morning at 5:58a. The video has a rep. from each of the armed forces saluting at the end (i.e. "O'r the land of the freeeeeee...").

Whenever I can catch it, I'll stand at attention and salute.

I think that rings a bell but I never took notice. Thanks. I think I figured they just did it once in a while and did not know the purpose. You are right, that's pretty cool nowadays. Which I guess is both happy and disappointing in different ways.

I think that rings a bell but I never took notice. Thanks. I think I figured they just did it once in a while and did not know the purpose. You are right, that's pretty cool nowadays. Which I guess is both happy and disappointing in different ways.

Youtube is a wonderful thing...      Fox News Chanel - National Anthem.

Whoever played the jazzy version of the anthem at the Knicks-Cavs game tonight won the worst anthem ever contest. Seriously, all other pretenders go home because these guys won by a landslide. It was worse than any anthem in which the singer forgot the words. Video isn't up yet, but google it in a few days. I'm sure the all-knowing comments section will validate my opinion.

Oh I don't know. That version by Carl lewis is pretty freaking bad. You should need a permit to sing it in public. I know singing is protected under the Constitution but hey that never stopped anyone from infringement before. And some of them even specifically say "shall not be infringed"