Budasac

Clinton WMA

I'm heading out for the first time tomorrow morning. What is the setup like there? Do you park where you shoot? From the map it looks like there is a small parking lot near the road and the shotgun area is 2 fields away. I'm trying to decide what to bring and, obviously, if I have to hump all the gear from truck to the shooting area I won't be bringing as much.

You need a valid Hunting License. Bird shot only.  You park right in front of the shotgun field.  You drive down the driveway till it you have to go left or right. Turn left, road sweeps into parking lot, field is directly in front of you.  Have a safe, and good, time.  Look up some pics here from previous shoots. Kinda gives you a feel for the layout.

hOsHNRh.jpg

Ok, I'm hooked. Now my wife just wants to know how much it's going to cost us.

I need a new shotgun. I was using a coach gun today (my only shotgun). I was actually doing pretty good with it. Even hitting some doubles.

I also need a thrower. There were some nice electric ones being used. The oscillating deals mounted on trailers were awfully sweet. :-)

Good quality 12V traps cost money, even the single stacks.  There are some in the $250 to $400 range that may fit your solution, but require constant maintenance of some kind.   Hand throwers get old in a very short time and hand loaded spring ones are not much better.   I guess it's a case of what the budget can spare.  Earlier this year I purchased my second trap used for $600, and rebuilt it with $50 in parts.  Sounds like a lot but new it goes for over $1,200.  My wobble trap sells for $2,200 today.  Howell Traps in Alabama always has used ones for sale mostly commercial models.  

You could probably find a good shotgun that can pull double duty as a trap, bird, deer gun .  Just a question of cost and action type, pump or SA.   Try to make a board shoot that comes around about once a month at Clinton.  Plenty of members around to show you the ropes, so to speak.  Glad it worked out for you today.  Welcome to the club.  

Welcome to the club.  Good thrower is gonna be pricey...  Electric thrower is gonna be $300+, the wobbler/oscillator addons are another $300+.  Battery will be another $100'ish.... cart or whatever for it too can cost extra.....

Then the clays you go through will cost you more cuz you burn through more faster!  Lol..

Welcome to the club. Good thrower is gonna be pricey... Electric thrower is gonna be $300+, the wobbler/oscillator addons are another $300+. Battery will be another $100'ish.... cart or whatever for it too can cost extra.....

Then the clays you go through will cost you more cuz you burn through more faster! Lol..

After you make the initial investment in the equipment, clays are $6-8 a case, and shells are available for $5 a box. Making clay birds explode is a lot more satisfying than shooting paper!

I'm happy with my sub $100 spring loaded job from do all. Even has a seat.

COME TO THE SHOTGUN SHOOTOUT. Seriously if you want to try a number of shotguns and throwers (fo free) come to one

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I'm happy with my sub $100 spring loaded job from do all. Even has a seat.

COME TO THE SHOTGUN SHOOTOUT. Seriously if you want to try a number of shotguns and throwers (fo free) come to one

When is the December meet up? Santa has 3 cases of shells coming, and I'm going to grab some clays this weekend.

When is the December meet up? Santa has 3 cases of shells coming, and I'm going to grab some clays this weekend.

I won't be able to make any of them in December. Working tue-wed 8-6, thurs-sat 8-8, and 9-5 Sunday until xmas haha so don't bank on me being there

What model is it? Looks fantastic. :)

Looks like a Do-All Raven

Yes, like T Bill noted. It's a Raven.

Now, does any one have experience with the Stoeger Condor? I know it's not pretty but, it's in my price range. By all accounts it seems to be a great entry level O/U.

It's not bad, BIL has one.  A little rough around the edges, but works fairly well.  He sent his to be ported and back bored at Magnaport and it came back a new gun.  Real nice soft shooter.  Tristar has some nice entry level O/Us also.  Thought Cabelas had a CZ model on sale this weekend for like $300 off, bringing down to  $550s.  Here ya go,

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CZ-USA-Teal-Over-amp-Under-Shotgun/2289337.uts

Automatic throwers are nice for numerous reasons, but get boring IMO. A wobbler is a must either way (expect to pay over 100 bucks for that attachment seperately) but even a wobbler is easy to guess where the clays are going. For new shooters auto throwers are great but once you get good, they get repetitive.

Manual sit down throwers are better and add a bit of fun to shooting clays. But obviously if you shoot by yourself often it won't work. You can throw singles, doubles, triples..we've thrown up to five clays at one time on our manual throwers (and I shot them all! thanks to averageJoe's mossy 930). You can change direction on the fly be it up or down or left and right. They allow you to turn into a much better clay shooter that an automatic throwers will hold you back IMO.

If you are starting out, getting something less expensive and getting the hang of things is a great idea but if you have the money to spend on something nice, go for it. Just don't be "that guy" with the $3k shotgun that is a terrible shot. There are too many of those guys.

• Like 1

If you are starting out, getting something less expensive and getting the hang of things is a great idea but if you have the money to spend on something nice, go for it. Just don't be "that guy" with the $3k shotgun that is a terrible shot. There are too many of those guys.

Hey easy now, I was one of those guys with A 3k gun that was A terrible shot. Till I bought my 21k Kreighoff, Now I smoke um all.

Seriously though, If you are considering A Stoeger, take A look at the Condor Competition, Adjustable comb and 6 chokes, Good starter gun with A 5 year factory warranty. I've got one in the safe that I shoot once in A while just to piss people off with at Sporting Clays. Plus I let some of the guys use it to see the difference in shooting A heavier o/u with tubes compared to A 4lb pump gun.

• Like 1

Hey easy now, I was one of those guys with A 3k gun that was A terrible shot. Till I bought my 21k Kreighoff, Now I smoke um all.

Seriously though, If you are considering A Stoeger, take A look at the Condor Competition, Adjustable comb and 6 chokes, Good starter gun with A 5 year factory warranty. I've got one in the safe that I shoot once in A while just to piss people off with at Sporting Clays. Plus I let some of the guys use it to see the difference in shooting A heavier o/u with tubes compared to A 4lb pump gun.

Ugh skip the stoegers completely.  Get at least a Mossberg Silver Reserve II or a CZ Teal or a Stevens 555.   If you're going into the $1K+ range look at the Browning Citori, Franchi Instinct, CZ Redhead, or even up to a Beretta 686..

we've thrown up to five clays at one time on our manual throwers (and I shot them all! thanks to averageJoe's mossy 930). 

Ahem.  I think you mean MY 930 JM Pro...

R4QCV5O.jpg

Automatic throwers are nice for numerous reasons...

You can throw singles, doubles, triples..we've thrown up to five clays at one time on our manual throwers (and I shot them all! thanks to averageJoe's mossy 930). You can change direction on the fly be it up or down or left and right. They allow you to turn into a much better clay shooter that an automatic throwers will hold you back IMO.

Last week, I volunteered at my Chamber of Commerce's annual "Sporting Clay" Tournament in Tampa. It's held at a private outdoor sporting clay range about 10 miles from my house.

Basically, there were 10 trap stations that were in place "for score."  But there was one station (the one I operated) called "Crazy Clays."  It didn't count towards anyone's individual score, but it was just a fun station.  The field had a total of 5 traps placed in random locations, all around the field. The controller I was given allowed you to program the number of traps (5), the number of clays for each round (24 in this case), the number of shooters in each round (3 or 4), and the time interval between each volley (6 seconds in this case). Once I pressed the button to start the sequence, it was automatic and unstoppable. The first volley was 1 clay from each of the operating traps, all at once, and in all different directions. After that volley, every 6 seconds, either one or two clays would be thrown from any of the 5 different trap stations, every 6 seconds until 24 clays had been thrown.   Shooters would be limited to 2 shells max capacity in their weapons at a time, and a total of 24 shells divided by the number of shooters. So, if a team of 4, they'd each have six shells, two at a time. A team of 3 would have eight.They would use those 6 second intervals to reload.  What most of the teams would end up doing is alternating between volleys.  After the first volley from all 5 trap stations, one half of the team would shoot while the other loaded, and they'd take turns back and forth. It was a team score, as opposed to the individual scores at the other stations, so it didn't matter. The highest score was 18 of 24, by a team of 4.

You guys would have loved it.  :D