Jfoster99

Help with New build...

I put together a build last night and everything went well until I tried to lock the bold back...

When pulling the charging handle the bolt travel stops about a 1/4" short of allowing the bolt face to retract behind the bolt hold open latch. So I can not lock the bolt open..

After scratching my head for awhile and try different bolts, buffers etc between a working rifle and this new build there is only one difference.

I measured with a dowel and the inside length of the new builds buffer tube is a little shorter then the tube on the working rifle. Even with the spring removed and just buff and bolt installed they do not retract for enough to clear the bolt hold open latch.

I'm not sure how to fix this... I purchased 5 supposedly mil spec stock kit... this is what I purchased...

589866483d8abb362c53ee97dfff3784.jpg

Here are the dimensions. If the tube does not meet the specs then it is not correct. I once had a similar problem with a A2 tube but the butt screw was too long.  Here all I can think of is the length is not correct.  Measure your good one. You do not need to take it out of the recieiver, and then measure the problem child.  Hope this helps.

Here is a thread with someone who had a similar problem...............

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/could-someone-please.589462/

Buffertube_Specs.jpg

I had the same problem.. Wouldn't lock back. I went so far as to count the loops on the spring even though it was the same length as another I had. I ended up grinding off just enough (maybe 1/8") of the buffer to allow the carrier to lock back. That was hundreds of rounds ago with no ill effect.

I did chat about it with Mike at Tier 1. He said it was unusual but not unheard of and to not over think it. But that was for only 1/8" not 1/4". That sounds like a lot to hack off the buffer.

this might sound silly.. but is there anything stuck in the buffer tube? I read about this happening once where there was actually something from shipping stuck in the tube (maybe part of a packing peanut or something like that I don't remember).. but it was stopping the buffer from going all the way back.. 

while I agree with everyone about quality parts.. we are talking a spring.. aluminum tube.. and essentially a weight with a buffer on it.. we are not talking the actual bolt.. barrel... etc.. 

IF returning and getting quality parts is an option for you.. then with it being black friday sales and all that.. then sure.. do that.. but if its not an option.. 

the tube is either long enough or its not..

the buffer is in spec or its not.. 

this should not be some insane mystery to figure out.. the buffer either goes far enough back or it does not.. if it does not.. figuring out what is stopping it should not be overly complicated.. 

while I agree with everyone about quality parts.. we are talking a spring.. aluminum tube.. and essentially a weight with a buffer on it.. we are not talking the actual bolt.. barrel... etc..

And yet, here we are....

The OP bought parts of dubious quality from an unknown business and they are out of spec.

This is my shocked face ->

• Like 1

And yet, here we are....

The OP bought parts of dubious quality from an unknown business and they are out of spec.

This is my shocked face ->

In the end, all parts are important. The quality of the bolt is clearly as important as quality of the receiver extension.

If the BCG doesn't work, the rifle doesn't work.

If the receiver extension has the incorrect interior dimension, the rifle still doesn't work.

Different parts, same outcome.

If the interior dimensions aren't correct, what else is incorrect? Materials? Threads? Manufacturing process?even if you make it fit, will it last?

I'm not saying to spend $150 on a PWS or VLTOR receiver extension. But when building a carbine, you should spend a little more to ensure you are purchasing a quality receiver extension by a reputable manufacturer from a reputable business to ensure the parts are minimally the same quality as the true mil-spec. Buy once, cry once.

All the money you saved is wasted if the parts don't work...

$35 for a mil spec receiver extension with action spring and buffer:

http://midwestpx.com/ar15-lower/stock-hardware/midwest-px-milspec-six-position-receiver-extension-kit.html

Pick the Mil-Spec stock of your choice and off you go.

i think it is all relative.. i think you know how I feel about top notch parts.. lol and build quality.. but with that said.. lots of people build cheap range toys just to plink.. 

for me.. proven parts only.. all day.. but I can not with a good conscious agree that a buffer is as critical as a BCG.. important sure.. as important? we will agree to disagree.... lol 

I buy good stuff, I have never had a problem like described by the OP. I know you buy good stuff, I bet you have had few issues like this. I know there are a few guys here that feel the same way and buy quality. I bet they rarely of ever have these kinds of issues.

You could have the world's bestest most perfect BCG in your carbine. If you install an out of spec buffer that binds up in the receiver extension, or is the wrong weight, or the wrong length, the gun still won't work.

Every part has to be in spec - even the buffer (and in the OPs case it is the receiver extension, not the buffer).

The issue is that when you buy a low quality part because it is "cheaper" you don't get to pick what component of the part is out of spec. Is it materials, dimensions, weight? Is it properly tightened and stakes? Does it not work now, or will it catastrophically fail later? Is it a combination? With a low quality manufacturer you don't know.

There is a range of quality from in-spec to boutique parts with accompanying price tags. You don't have to buy a $300 buffer that is adjustable weight and made from the heart of a meteor, but at the least it should be in spec.

For example - Understanding that spending $20-$25 on an in spec carbine buffer from a reputable manufacturer from a known store instead of $12-$18 for buffer made by God knows who at Uncle Cheech's Tactical Warehouse shouldn't be a stretch. Additionally, if you gamble on the quality and the buffer from Uncle Cheech comes in and it doesn't work, you should not be surprised.

So I measured everything. The bad buffer tubes are 6 3/4". The correct size is 7". Also the whole batch of 5 buffer tubes have the incorrect inner dimension.

I should be able to return these thru Amazon. Im sure everyone who purchased them needed to return them.

The pictures below clearly show the issue.

05de948c9751312dafdc50bd4c7c9cd4.jpg

ae84bd043398d17c54a4ea72dded9631.jpg

2313fce0cada851d0a337084c43e7cc0.jpg

5d73b6350f7a125dd96fe819ca32b51e.jpg

Rgds,

Jeff

• Like 1

I currently own 5 decent quality AR style rifles. So I am good as far as my personal collection goes. I recently purchased 10 stripped Anderson lowers and planned to build 5 budget quality rifles for friends/family now and store 5 stripped lowers as insurance for our next Democratic Govenor. I was trying to build the 5 budget rifles for under $500 each and literally giving them away to friends/family at a $100-$200 loss per rifle. My way of supporting the second amendment instead of donating to the NRA. I got $69 bolts from PSA and $189 uppers -Anderson / Bear Creek - from 22modsforall.com so I was well under budget.

While I wait for amazon to process my return I think my best option is to procure 5 replacement buffer tubes this weekend to take advantage of the current promotion pricing.

Can anyone suggest a good sale on 5 buffer tubes? I certainly want to ensure I get tubes that are within spec but price is still a big concern...

• Like 1

Also... I just want to say the $189 uppers look awesome... They come with KeyMod rails, 5" removable rail section, QD sling mount and use Anderson upper receivers and bear creek barrels. The pictures on the website do not do them justice. My $500 budget build looks like $1000+ mid level build.

ccfb29da60ddc41e5d655374fb3fe461.jpg

https://22mods4all.com/en/ar-15/245665-16-ar15-carbine-556-18-twist-10-keymod-slim-free-float-rail.html

79c4111def40203bb7eaec31549fc7eb.jpg

888db576471d4bd5054ca60ca8fa3928.jpg

a263475510c7667a99cce94dfbc69343.jpg

37c1fe9d6713d23d4606956b6bd85a7e.jpg

4fa0152b80eaba9a208965981a334798.jpg

Break Down:

22mods4all Complete Upper w/Shipping $227

PSA BCG Free Shipping $69

Anderson Stripped Lower ( 10 pack $399) $39

FFL Transfer/ NICS / Shipping ( 10 pack of stripped lowers) $25

Amazon RRA LPK Free Shipping $49

Amazon Stock Kit Free Shipping $39

Generic Muzzle Break Free Shipping $15

Muzzle Break Pinned by FFL $55

Total Price $503

I found "Mil Spec" buffer tubes for $12 including shipping. Let's hope the aluminum is not so thin that the bolt comes flying out the back on the first shot... [emoji3]. http://www.rakuten.com/prod/291413536.html

These rifles are turning out to be nice budget build range guns...

• Like 1

They $12 buffer tubes arrived today... I lucked out... every now and then you get more then you pay for... They are all the correct spec's, have a nice finish, and nicely cut threads... everything screwed together perfectly and now functions like it should.

72f13d584f34b5772b1276472414ac5d.jpg

They $12 buffer tubes arrived today... I lucked out... every now and then you get more then you pay for... They are all the correct spec's, have a nice finish, and nicely cut threads... everything screwed together perfectly and now functions like it should.

72f13d584f34b5772b1276472414ac5d.jpg

Remember my $500 build price is including Transfer fees, NICS, NJ compliance work, etc. To get even close to this price you would likely get an M4 style stock and hand guard which most owners will replace. My build has Magpul Style stock and free float keymod rails so aesthetic appeal would be a keeper for most. The core is made up of Anderson, PSA, Rock River and Bear Creak... all of which have a solid reputation as quality budget components.

This build will not fail in the "heat of competition". She is "go to bench ready"... I'd be willing to "bet my online reputation on it". [emoji3]

That receiver extension does not look right.

- The threaded portion is longer than it should be - the threaded portion being the weakest part of the tube.

- The stock adjustment holes look very shallow.

- There is a weird half circle cut-out in the shelf that should hold the buffer retaining pin at the bottom of the threaded portion.

- The front portion of the fin with the milled slot for the stock adjustment lock looks too long from where it ramps up to the first adjustment hole.

- And for $12 I'm not sure its 7075.

They may work fine for you now that they are a usable interior dimension and I hope they are trouble free for you for the next 100 years, but they are not "in-spec".

Good luck with them and the concept of what you are doing is out-F'n-standing!

Perhaps... but you must agree still an outstanding value for what was a fully functioning adjustable stock before I just pinned it in place. . These were special made for the NJ market.[emoji3]

I get the whole buy once cry once mentality... but for this build I am looking at it from a different perspective... As i'm sure others on here may be interested In a complete KeyMod upper for $179 or a $12 buffer tube that proves to be 100% reliable for range work.

I finished putting together the NY Safe Act Build Rifle..I like the "Door Breach" thread protector... The Spur Grip is horrible... not so bad to shoot but if you go to pick up rifle the only way to get a hold is to put your finger through the trigger guard.. Very dangerous. I may recommend he save up to install a Thordson Stock.

42e6fc561dab41f06015bed3d6b6522f.jpg

5ab3d1c7017f8320dabaf7d9ebf9acaa.jpg3d12a24722723b3288a9b320a8dd6bb8.jpgpp