Blake

Camera advice Nikon D3400 vs D7200

HI guys,

Looking for advice on which model I should keep. Purchased both on bf sales as potential Xmas gifts for the gf. Will be used for recreational use.

Both came with 2 lenses. 3400 came with 18-55 and 70-300, 7200 came with 18-55 and 55-300.

Wondering if the 7200 is worth the $900 difference between the models. Obviously I read the spec sheets between the two but camera speak isn't really my lingo.

Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Define recreational use.  If she wants to use it in the rain or not. The 7200 weighs more but is weather sealed vs the 3200. A trade off!

I am a Canon guy but I just read the comparison of the two cameras you named.

They are both crop sensor and use the same lenses.

They are both 24 Mega pixel and use the same sensor.

All in all, in NO way IMHO is the 7200 worth $900.00 more!

I would assume she is not a pro if going for a crop sensor to begin with so I would highly advise going with the 3200 for starters

and let her go to a full frame camera and good lenses if she really gets into the hobby deeply!

Think of the camera as you would an AR build.  The lower and upper are the same on these cameras. so is the barrel and the optic!

The difference is a slightly better trigger and a whole lot of extra crap mounted to the rails. Are you going to shoot better with that much more weight

and more options......Not really!  Will it become a safe queen cause it's so damn bulky and heavy that you don't want to carry it around with you? Probably!

Those are your options, in a nutshell between these two cameras IMHO!

Think of the camera as you would an AR build. The lower and upper are the same on these cameras. so is the barrel and the optic!

The difference is a slightly better trigger and a whole lot of extra crap mounted to the rails. Are you going to shoot better with that much more weight

and more options......Not really! Will it become a safe queen cause it's so damn bulky and heavy that you don't want to carry it around with you? Probably!

Those are your options, in a nutshell between these two cameras IMHO!

Now you are speaking my language.

Camera will be used on vacations, to take pics of our dog, crap we do on the weekends, etc. We might get caught in rain but it won't be a wet weather camera so to speak.

The full body cameras looked substantially more expensive and I figured one of these would be a good starter. At $500 vs $1350 plus tax I was willing to go with the 7200 if there was a substantial quality difference for the price increase. Hence buying both. I knew I could return one before Xmas.

Unless someone can come up with other reasons the 7200 is worth the coin I guess I will return that one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I love my Nikons, but I find I have no reason to carry it any more. The iphones, namely my 7, does everything you need and more. Especially with all the camera apps.

They say todays phones are giving the ol cameras a run for their money and are always with you.

In any event, I agree with Johnny...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the cheaper camera and spend the difference in lenses. 

As to phones keeping up with full size cameras?  Perhaps, when you're sitting at lunch with your friends and want to get a candid shot.   In pretty much any other endeavor those 8mm sensors just don't gather enough light or information.   You know the old saying in racing, there's no replacement for displacement?  The same applies to cameras.  Bigger is better, with one slight asterisk.  When shooting wildlife at long distances and you have to crop on a full frame, a crop sensor camera can gather more pixel information because it's already  "pre-cropped".

There is also a lot of truth to the statement that the camera you have with you is better than the one you left at home because it's too heavy.

I love my Nikons, but I find I have no reason to carry it any more. The iphones, namely my 7, does everything you need and more. Especially with all the camera apps.

They say todays phones are giving the ol cameras a run for their money and are always with you.

In any event, I agree with Johnny...

This^^^^

My wife is semipro photographer. Shoots Nikon.

2 bodies, multiple lenses auxiliary lighting. Submersible Nikon point and shoot.Basically a full kit. Always using her iPhone! Pisses me off as I foot the bill for this" stuff"

Spend good coin on lenses. Unless I've been had, the tech in the bodies is only up to par for a couple of years. The lenses stay the test of time.

If it were me I would go with the 7200, but for a new shooter the 3400 is more than good enough.  You can take great pictures with either.  The 7200 will let you do more stuff with dedicated buttons but you can still do them with the 3400 but may need to go into menus.  Both come with what I consider kit lens, not a lot of difference between the lenses on either one.  I think you could make better use of that $900 to buy a good speedlight (flash) and a good tripod.  I have a D800e which is a full frame camera, but many of the pictures I take are with my old D300 and the D3400 is even better than that camera.  Good luck and enjoy.

I use to love photography. But over the years, I got upset when I saw the money I dumped into SLR film cameras and lens. Only to find out they aren't worth poop today. I use to be into Minoltas, Ricoh, Konicas, you name it. Now the bodies aren't even worth squat and lens only worth a little more than squat. Last digital SLR I bought was my Nikon and unless they come out with some hi tech camera that can see people walking on the moon at a reasonable price, I'm done.

So when someone tells me a newbie photographer is getting a new expensive camera, I cringe. Either it will get used or sit in a drawer money wasted. Start out cheap as you can get then advance if the hobby takes off.

• Like 1

If it were me I would go with the 7200, but for a new shooter the 3400 is more than good enough. You can take great pictures with either. The 7200 will let you do more stuff with dedicated buttons but you can still do them with the 3400 but may need to go into menus. Both come with what I consider kit lens, not a lot of difference between the lenses on either one. I think you could make better use of that $900 to buy a good speedlight (flash) and a good tripod. I have a D800e which is a full frame camera, but many of the pictures I take are with my old D300 and the D3400 is even better than that camera. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the input Howard! I think we would definitely fall into the newbie category. I do have a good Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod with 11ty adjustments on it I use for my spotter that we can put to use for this as well. I will look into quality lenses once we get accustomed to this one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Nikon kit lenses are pretty good for what they are. For the beginner, keep the 3400. If she really gets into it, she would be trading up on either one of them after a year or two anyway.

And keep in mind, it is not the camera that makes the difference between mediocre and great photos. It starts with the human, then the lens comes into play.

LOL

We have been together forever, will get married eventually.  Can't be any more expensive than the gun hobby!

A $3,000 camera is cheaper than a $700 gun in the digital age as there are no consumables for the digital camera - the gun will consume many times what you spend on it in ammo - well at least mine do.

A $3,000 camera is cheaper than a $700 gun in the digital age as there are no consumables for the digital camera - the gun will consume many times what you spend on it in ammo - well at least mine do.

She hasn't complained about six figures worth of guns/optics/accessories over the past several years so if I get out of this for 3k or more I am good with that lol.

She is the frugal one so if she goes for it I am happy to oblige.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk