Sign in to follow this  
revenger

S&W 625JM or 625PC

does anyone have familiarity with either the 625jm or the 625pc.   I will be using it for bullseye shooting at paper targets mostly.   Is the PC worth the extra money if I'm not competing.     

I have checked the differences and the only big difference I see is the rifling,  (besides those stupid grips on the PC).   for punching holes in paper are there any reason to spend the extra on the PC. 

thanks    

It is hard to believe they could squeeze any more performance out of the 625jm. I love mine. I can't image it's worth the extra coin. I did upgrade the grips on mine and I can't think of anything else it needs. The trigger is phenomenal stock.

I was looking at both last year and actually got them both in hand at Heritage Guild believe it or not. I think they still have the JM in stock.

I'd go for the PC but primarily because I don't like the trigger on the JM. The JM ribbed trigger actually seemed a little sharp to me (almost cut my finger sharp) and the cost to replace would be about the same as the difference between the guns. I didn't feel a lot of functional difference between them though. Maybe the PC was a little less muzzle heavy and the JM had a nicer grip. Trigger pull on the PC was smoother, the trigger on the JM I tried felt a little stiff and had a heavier pull then I expected (might have just been a bad one, lots of folks like the JM trigger, I only tried one). If you get the JM significantly cheaper, and you feel the ribs are sharp like I did, maybe a little fine-grit sandpaper might help take the edges down. 

In the end I decided I wanted a 357 more and ended up with the 627 Pro instead. Maybe I'll still get the 625 at some point but I'm pretty happy with the 627 for now. 

Good luck with the search.

-Jim