Rumblebuffin

New to NJ.. Not to the Northeast Firearm Hoopla

Hey All,

I just moved to NJ two months ago. I came from MA for my new job...expecting laws would be horrible but that is how it is. I still have my active LTC in MA. For the time being I have left my handguns locked in a safe with a friend who has their MA LTC. I now am trying to figure out if I will eventually need to sell them or how hard it would be to either get an LTC or in home permit in NJ. I JUST started reading about it, so sorry if these questions are dumb (focusing on the job first ya know). From what I have read and figured, an LTC is merely impossible unless I was an untouchable exec that was deemed worthy. While I would love an LTC, it is better having an owners permit so I'll take something vs nothing. What are the best steps at getting a permit to have firearms locked up at home? My handguns in MA are obviously MA compliant, would that deem them to be NJ compliant or where do I check on that? Any suggestions on where to start are welcome. Thanks all!

Regards,

Rumble

Welcome to NJ which has less 2A rights than most states.

As long as the guns are NJ compliant you can transport them to your home in NJ with no paperwork (unloaded and locked in the trunk of your car). I believe that MA firearms are NJ compliant but others who have more info will chime in.

There is almost no way you can get a carry license in NJ. Most likely not even an option.

You should get your FPID (Firearm Purchase ID) which gives you some rights and allows you to purchase long arms. You apply at your local PD or if none then the state police. If you want to purchase a pistol then you have to apply for a Permit To Purchase each pistol (with some limitations).

Read some of the sticky posts on the forum to get much more detailed info.

• Like 1

I'm just re-iterating what he said.

You do not need any special permission to own a gun in NJ.  If it was legally purchased in a different state and is legal to own in NJ (i.e. not banned by assault weapon legislation) then you can legally have it in your home or homes or properties in NJ.

You may only transport those firearms to/from a range, a gunsmith/gun shop, other properties you own, your place of business(if you own it) or to hunt.  These are commonly referred to as "exempted locations"   As a note, hollow point bullets also have nearly the same restriction, they however cannot be transported from one home to another home.   If you need to transport hollow points from one home to another home, you must first go to a range, then you can go to the other home.  Seriously, yes it's that stupid.    Do NOT have hollow points(even .22 Long rifle) on you, your car or anywhere unless you are within the exemptions.    Ball ammo can roll around in your floorboards, there are no laws concerning it.

If you obtain a Firearms PURCHASER ID card, it allows you to buy long guns, to have unloaded long guns anywhere they are legal and to purchase ammunition that can be used in a hand gun.  It does NOT confer any special rights or permissions to handguns except to the "cop on the road" who may not know any better.  I'm quite certain that people have been pulled over, searched or been asked about guns, produced a firearms purchaser ID and were let go on their way whereas without the FPID, they would have gone to jail even though they were transporting within the exemptions.

You will not get a NJ carry permit.    There are somewhere around 1200 carry permits in the state, half of which are provisional work permits for armored car workers/drivers(who can't carry off hours) and the other half are judges, billionaires or celebrities.

Welcome to NJ, Abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

As to your question about an "in home permit", NJ makes no restrictions as far as I know about carrying a gun, long gun or handgun, on property you own. You can carry open or concealed. 

Educate us on this Mass. in home permit.

If you list your guns, we can probably tell you the legality of them in NJ, but as said before, they are probably good to go.

On the plus side, you do get to upgrade to 15 round magazines if you want.

You need no license to bring the guns to your home and keep them there. You cannot possess handguns or longarms except while on your property, at the range etc., to and from, and transporting while moving. You cannot even walk them next door to your neighbor's house.

FPID adds the ability to possess longarms outside these restrictions (just about anywhere within reason), buy longarms, buy pistol ammo.

You will never legally possess a handgun outside these restrictions in Jersey.

Hollowpoints are illegal to possess except at place of purchase and your home, range, to and from, etc. THERE IS NO EXCEPTION TO POSSESS HOLLOWPOINTS WHILE MOVING. Presumably you cannot bring them here for that reason, you have to buy new ones and bring home from place of purchase. Some may say you can drive them from MA directly to a range in NJ, then to your home. I don't know how that would actually turn out in the 1 in a million chance the issue comes up for some reason as there are no truly safe bets when it comes to guns in Jersey. Gotta accept it carries a little risk. A million people manage to live through it just fine.

Get a copy of Evan Nappen's NJ Gun law book.  Not light reading but about the straight skinny on NJ gun laws.  The best way to understand NJ gun laws are they forbid everything and allow you to do things with defined exemptions, Complicated, backassward laws the are deliberately written very vague and sometimes require test cases to prove their validity.   

http://www.evannappen.com/gun-law-books.html

You need no license to bring the guns to your home and keep them there. You cannot possess handguns or longarms except while on your property, at the range etc., to and from, and transporting while moving. You cannot even walk them next door to your neighbor's house.

FPID adds the ability to possess longarms outside these restrictions (just about anywhere within reason), buy longarms, buy pistol ammo.

You will never legally possess a handgun outside these restrictions in Jersey.

Hollowpoints are illegal to possess except at place of purchase and your home, range, to and from, etc. THERE IS NO EXCEPTION TO POSSESS HOLLOWPOINTS WHILE MOVING. Presumably you cannot bring them here for that reason, you have to buy new ones and bring home from place of purchase. Some may say you can drive them from MA directly to a range in NJ, then to your home. I don't know how that would actually turn out in the 1 in a million chance the issue comes up for some reason as there are no truly safe bets when it comes to guns in Jersey. Gotta accept it carries a little risk. A million people manage to live through it just fine.

There should be no issue driving them from your home out of state to a shooting range in NJ, and assuming you don't use them all there (or use any for that matter) you should not have an issue taking them back to your home in NJ.  The other option is to just ship them via UPS to your new home in NJ, just be sure they are marked with the appropriate ORM-D  on the box.

As a previous MA resident, welcome.

These guys have pretty much covered it. Bringing your guns here without a permit is fine. Just make sure you drive directly to your home and don't take unnecessary stops.

MA and NJ have the same AWB restrictions so if the rifle or pistol was MA compliant, you wont need to make any changes here.

Losing the LTC sucks but NJ does have some advantages over MA. Bigger selection of guns to choose from. You dont have the AG list randomly deciding what guns can and cannot be bought. Suppliers will have no problem shipping ammo to NJ unlike MA so you can finally start getting good deals. As a bonus, you can get rid of your 10rd mags and upgrade to 15! When you get your FID card and pistol permits, you can actually buy new glocks! And at normal prices too!

Guess you can call me a felon, in 1968 I bought my first pistol and carried it in the open  from my house down the street into the woods to go and shoot rats.Guess it was a different world back then.

The good for you:  - 95% of handguns made are legal in NJ - we don't have any of those drop test, melt test or 50lb trigger pull requirements for hand guns - as long as it's not considered an "assault weapon" it's legal here.

- You can have 15 round magazines.

- Our Attorney General didn't just decide to "reinterpret" an 18 year old law making hundreds of thousands of guns "assault weapons" on a whim.

- Long guns are not registered at all in NJ and handguns are only required to be registered when a transfer of ownership occurs (excluding inheritance) - you do not need to register guns you already own.

The bad for you: - You cannot get a carry permit.

- NFA stuff is banned here.

- You cannot use a C&R license in NJ.

As a previous MA resident, welcome.

These guys have pretty much covered it. Bringing your guns here without a permit is fine. Just make sure you drive directly to your home and don't take unnecessary stops.

MA and NJ have the same AWB restrictions so if the rifle or pistol was MA compliant, you wont need to make any changes here.

Losing the LTC sucks but NJ does have some advantages over MA. Bigger selection of guns to choose from FOR NOW. You dont have the AG list randomly deciding what guns can and cannot be bought.FOR NOW Suppliers will have no problem shipping ammo to NJ unlike MA so you can finally start getting good deals FOR NOW. As a bonus, you can get rid of your 10rd mags and upgrade to 15 !FOR NOW but hang on to those 10 rounders When you get your FID card and pistol permits, you can actually buy new glocks! And at normal prices too! 

As for the last statement I have checked handgun prices whenever and wherever I travel and NJ is consistently the highest higher, even than NY.

Welcome to NJ Rumble 

Sorry

A little bit different. Justice Scalia used to bring his 22 rifle on the subway in NY going to school.

This was common practice. My late bridge partner, who was on the rifle team at St. John's U. back in the 1950s, did the same. Today the cops would probably shoot you for doing that.

Are you sure about Scalia though? He attended my H.S. (Xavier), which had a range in the sub-basement. We used 1-shot trainers. Never heard of anyone bringing their own. Granted I'm 20 years younger, 

Your former state has an interesting gun culture. More restrictions on type of weapon than NJ but a higher %age of carry licenses than one of the southern states, I forget which. From our perspective here in Shitholia concealed carry, even limited to 10 rds., is a big deal.

Scalia: Guns Aren't Just for Crimes

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed," Scalia told the audience of about 2,000."I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms," said Scalia, noting that as a youth in New York City he was part of a rifle team at the military school he attended.

"I used to travel on the subway from Queens to Manhattan with a rifle," he said. "Could you imagine doing that today in New York City?"

Hey All,

I just moved to NJ two months ago. I came from MA for my new job...expecting laws would be horrible but that is how it is. I still have my active LTC in MA. For the time being I have left my handguns locked in a safe with a friend who has their MA LTC. I now am trying to figure out if I will eventually need to sell them or how hard it would be to either get an LTC or in home permit in NJ. I JUST started reading about it, so sorry if these questions are dumb (focusing on the job first ya know). From what I have read and figured, an LTC is merely impossible unless I was an untouchable exec that was deemed worthy. While I would love an LTC, it is better having an owners permit so I'll take something vs nothing. What are the best steps at getting a permit to have firearms locked up at home? My handguns in MA are obviously MA compliant, would that deem them to be NJ compliant or where do I check on that? Any suggestions on where to start are welcome. Thanks all!

Regards,

Rumble

How far from PA are you moving or is your work? If you live in PA your income most likely will be less, lower property taxes, lower car insurance and much, MUCH more favorable gun laws---LTCF is usually obtained in 10 minutes of 30 days.

Scalia: Guns Aren't Just for Crimes

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed," Scalia told the audience of about 2,000."I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms," said Scalia, noting that as a youth in New York City he was part of a rifle team at the military school he attended.

"I used to travel on the subway from Queens to Manhattan with a rifle," he said. "Could you imagine doing that today in New York City?"

Interesting. Scalia entered Xavier around 1950. I got there in '68. Shooting was part of military science class. They took us downstairs as I recall 9-10 times a year. I don't remember anyone  bringing a rifle to school though. 

BTW Al Roker was my classmate. 

Interesting. Scalia entered Xavier around 1950. I got there in '68. Shooting was part of military science class. They took us downstairs as I recall 9-10 times a year. I don't remember anyone bringing a rifle to school though.

BTW Al Roker was my classmate.

Anyone ever seen Newtonian and Al Roker in the same place at the same time?

Anyone ever seen Newtonian and Al Roker in the same place at the same time?

You be da judge.

Googled Al Roker + Xavier. One of the first pics was:

me:flm2cl.jpg

Googled my name + Xavier and this was the 2nd photo:

2w20qc9.jpg

Seriously. Foiled again.

• Like 1

Hey guys, sorry I've been busy the past week. Thanks everyone for the info, very appreciative! To answer some of the questions I read, I have a Ruger SR9c, and Bodyguard 380. Smaller guys, but I purchased them since I had Conceal Carry in mind at the time. With that out of the question, maybe I need to invest in a nice 45 now :). Good to know about transportation the types of ammo and firearms to NJ...I will take my precautions. I did not read anything about my current CC permit it MA having any effect whatsoever in NJ. Even if my Mass CC was expired and I have no NJ purchase license, I am fine? I still plan on getting the Purchaser ID card nevertheless. @ "Milelets456" I am in Jersey City, right across the Hudson so, not very close to Philly unfortunately.

@Dagonja - My Mass CC permit is basically how it sounds. I can walk anywhere (Not near school or Federal buildings) and I am being legal as long as it is "concealed". To my knowledge, the second it is exposed or "flashed" one could be considered breaking the law and losing their Conceal Carry permit. MA is very anti open carry, so even though it is technically not "illegal" to open carry in MA, you probably would get hit with disturbing the peace which will then merit you to lose your CC anyway (thats what I have been told). Also, the Class A CC permit is $100, the same cost as the lower firearm licenses...so I and everyone I know will always apply for the Class A CC permit and if you don't pass, you might still get approved for another lower level permit (probably Class B which is for range and home defense purposes for the most part). Therefore it makes no sense to not apply for the Class A CC permit in MA. It all is based off your Police Chief, so there are websites that go over if it is a green (pro) or Red (anti) town. Hope this is helpful! Thanks again everyone.

- Rumble