Sign in to follow this  
myhatinthering

Torture test, abuse, neglect, etc etc

So I put together a rifle with spare parts, rundown as follows;

Mind you, these are scratched, dinged, worn parts except internals like lpk and bcg....

colt a2 upper

fnmi 20" barrel

anderson lower

dd lpk

alg act

colt bcg 

colt a2 stock

kac ras rails

My plan is simple, I'm going to abuse it, neglect, never clean it, freeze it, you name it.  I will of course inspect to make sure it's safe to fire however, it's battle worn look personified already and figured what the heck.  I'd like to see how far she'll go

I will only use steel through the rifle unless all I have is brass. 

I plan on documenting it here so feel free to chime in, offer suggestions etc etc

Currently at 400 rounds of wolf steel case 55gr fmj

• Like 1

Send it to Henderson Defense, AKA, Battlefield Las Vegas. They will beat the shit out of it for you!!

lol...

All kidding aside, there is an epic thread about high round count durability and such, on arfcom (as you probably know).

Is urine high enough in ammonia to dissolve copper fouling? I'd think not.

I will ask what the pool is for how many round before the chamber throat is gone shooting steel case?

I'm willing to bet that the chamber goes before the rifling and both outlast the gas carrier.

Who else has seen good ar15 hardware failures?

while I don't shoot wolf.. I rarely if ever clean my ARs.. I occasionally douse them with oil that then mixes into a nice film of oily carbon sludge.. 

I have on very rare occasions cleaned them.. but those cleanings are so infrequent I am not sure the last time.. both 5.56 ARs run 100% every time, the 308 on the other hand needs to be kept somewhat clean... not to ruin the surprise, but I expect your results to be anti climactic.. 

Is urine high enough in ammonia to dissolve copper fouling? I'd think not.

I will ask what the pool is for how many round before the chamber throat is gone shooting steel case?

I'm willing to bet that the chamber goes before the rifling and both outlast the gas carrier.

Who else has seen good ar15 hardware failures?

I was thinking just hot water...lol

not sure which will go first as I had a cheap dissy I did this to a long time ago and the barrel started key holing before the throat area had any issues.  the barrel was unlined but I'll tell you what, that dissy was made with spare parts, joe bobs lpk, and cheap stuff and I fronze, left it in mud, dirt, never cleaned except hosing it down and she ran.  I regret that one, she was a fking top!

anyway, figured it's time again and thought we all might enjoy it

Some guy who runs a podcast on FB (Firearms Radio, I think?) did something similar w/ an AR. Only lubed it every 1k rounds. Thing lasted impressively long before a malfunction. Only difference was he was using brass cased ammo.

Edit: Apparently it was Ballistic Radio that did it.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/15/15000-rounds-counting-ar-15-torture-testing-now-sand/

• Like 1

The question I have is why?

This is a test lots of people have done and there isn't much to gain from doing it. If all you want is a rifle you can neglect, that's fine, but just squirt some oil in it now and then and you have a range toy that will last longer.

it's just for fun, no reason why just pure fun