Raven

Welding muzzle, best option ?

I've had the upper receiver for a while now but the muzzle brake has

to be welded in order to proceed with the lower. I've looked at the 

process countless times again and i know it's not that hard, given one

has the tools which i do not as i lack a welding device.

Where in north jersey (sussex county) can you get your muzzle brake

welded for a decent price ? Or rent a welding device ? 

• Like 2

I've had the upper receiver for a while now but the muzzle brake has

to be welded in order to proceed with the lower. I've looked at the 

process countless times again and i know it's not that hard, given one

has the tools which i do not as i lack a welding device.

Where in north jersey (sussex county) can you get your muzzle brake

welded for a decent price ? Or rent a welding device ? 

Pretty simple to do yourself, if you have the right tools.  Otherwise, most stores in the area will charge ~$50 to do it.

I love an excuse to buy a new tool. Harbor Freight has a 90Amp mig wire feed A/C welder that runs on 110VAC. It is $109 but frequently goes on sale

for $89. It can also be converted to be a DC welder, (much less splatter) for about $30 more.

After getting ripped off for $89 for a shit job on my last upper. I plan to buy the welder and do it myself from now on!

I love an excuse to buy a new tool. Harbor Freight has a 90Amp mig wire feed A/C welder that runs on 110VAC. It is $109 but frequently goes on sale

for $89. It can also be converted to be a DC welder, (much less splatter) for about $30 more.

After getting ripped off for $89 for a shit job on my last upper. I plan to buy the welder and do it myself from now on!

Bought the same one. Still learning. Practicing on an old brake.

Ya def need a drill press unless its pre drilled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nj doesn't define pinned --  If you have a barrel 16" or over then you only need to comply with NJ law not federal Short barrel rifle law

Since NJ does not define what a pinned muzzle brake is simply a press fit pinning would qualify as "pinned" 

Drill through the muzzle brake off the barrel --  Drill slow on a drill press -- use plenty of oil and you should not bugger up the threads at all --

Size your hole according to whatever pin size you are using 

Then mount brake on barrel -- time it properly

Then drill a small indentation into the barrel threads, enough to destroy the threads if brake is removed is all that is needed

At this point all you need is very tight fitting pin -- "Press fit" means you need a press or a hammer to install the pin -- so tight that it never comes out 

I personally weld my pins -- I'm lucky enough to own a miller Dynasty 280DX welder -- Tig welding a stainless steel pin to a brake is simple -- no filler wire, just leave the pin a little long and melt the pin into the brake  -- some cold blue and you're done

Ive done all of my builds myself with the harbor freight 90 amp wire feed..  If you are mechanically inclined, and don't mind practicing a little its not too hard.. I thought it was harder to drill the holes in my battlecomps..  The higher quality comps are hardened, and you need to use high quality drill bits. I went thru a few cobalt bits on each comp... buy a few bits oil as you cut,and go slow. Good luck..

Nj doesn't define pinned --  If you have a barrel 16" or over then you only need to comply with NJ law not federal Short barrel rifle law

Since NJ does not define what a pinned muzzle brake is simply a press fit pinning would qualify as "pinned" 

Drill through the muzzle brake off the barrel --  Drill slow on a drill press -- use plenty of oil and you should not bugger up the threads at all --

Then drill a small indentation into the barrel threads, enough to destroy the threads if brake is removed is all that is needed

At this point all you need is very tight fitting pin -- "Press fit" means you need a press or a hammer to install the pin -- so tight that it never comes out 

I personally weld my pins -- I'm lucky enough to own a miller Dynasty 280DX welder -- Tig welding a stainless steel pin to a brake is simple -- no filler wire, just leave the pin a little long and melt the pin into the brake  -- some cold blue and you're done

Same here just hit it with the mig, grind in down, cover with cold blue, magic marker, or paint.

How many amps on the TIG?

How many amps on the TIG?

The dynasty has a max amp output of 280 amps ac or dc

To weld a pin I have the machine set at 75 amps dc but don't use full pedal. Doesn't take much to melt a .062 stainless pin into a muzzle brake -- I do use the same .062 diameter pins that I use for wet tumbling

I think I'm currently set up with a 3/32 lanthanated tungsten with pure argon shielding gas

The dynasty has a max amp output of 280 amps ac or dc

To weld a pin I have the machine set at 75 amps dc but don't use full pedal. Doesn't take much to melt a .062 stainless pin into a muzzle brake -- I do use the same .062 diameter pins that I use for wet tumbling

I think I'm currently set up with a 3/32 lanthanated tungsten with pure argon shielding gas

No filler rod, just start it up and hit the pin?  Are you using hi frequency start on your arc?

I dont get grinding/blending the weld. No visual proof do you have it was pinned so someone would have to put a wrench on it. I left my tack weld as-is. Its on the bottom anyway.

Agreed

No filler rod, just start it up and hit the pin?  Are you using hi frequency start on your arc?

Yes hi frequency start -- I leave my pin just a little long so the pin becomes the filler rod -- just melt it all together

Agreed

Yes hi frequency start -- I leave my pin just a little long so the pin becomes the filler rod -- just melt it all together

Thanks.

I dont get grinding/blending the weld. No visual proof do you have it was pinned so someone would have to put a wrench on it. I left my tack weld as-is. Its on the bottom anyway.

I dont think anyone had ever tried to put a wrench on it for legality. Not the state atleast.

in regards to blending and grinding.. It depends, Even when we grind we leave a slight imperfection to prove to the customer we actually did the work :)

NJ does not define permanently attached.. 

they say you can NOT have a threaded barrel.. the only way to accomplish this is to make the muzzle device part of the barrel.. once the muzzle device is part of the barrel then the barrel is no longer threaded... the only standard we have for making a muzzle device part of the barrel is the ATF guidelines.. therefore IMO you should follow this standard in NJ when attaching a muzzle device.. doing any less could IMO leave you with could be considered a threaded barrel.. 

• Like 1

Consider if a pin was not acceptable all your pinned stocks wouldn't be legal either.

while that is a fair point.. the wording for stock is somewhat different as it defines the action that is forbidden.. "folding or telescoping stock"... this is to say that the stock can not fold or collapse in on itself.. a pin stops that action from happening.. 

a threaded barrel is still a threaded barrel with a pin in it.. or two.. or five.. the only benchmark we have to show when a threaded barrel stops being threaded.. is when something is put over those threads and attached in such a way that it negates the threading.. it is logical to refer to the ATF standard for that.. 

it IS a fair argument that NJ is under no obligation to follow the ATF standard.. but if you follow that logic it is equally fair to say NJ does not have to honor a barrel that is simply pinned.. 

either way I think it is a fair argument.. but at the end of the day you have to at least consider this...

NJ says you absolutely can not have a threaded barrel on an AR..

they then go on to fail to define any means to get around this

by default that leaves you with a barrel with no threads.. that is the first safe bet per NJ law..

the second option is to add a compliant brake and make it part of the barrel.. 

since NJ does not offer a solution as to how to do this.. leaning on the ATF standard is IMO the only reasonable route.. 

by NJ standard.. there is NO difference between a simple pin, pin and weld, OR even just loctite.. since NJ does not define a solution.. it is up to the end user to decide.. and ultimately willing to argue if came down to it.. pin and weld has a distinct advantage.. the ATF recognizes it as a legitimate means to permanently join a muzzle device to a barrel.. that is why most people go that way... you are left with a solid argument..  

as ridiculous as this statement is.. its true.. pin (no weld).. OR loctite.. are equal in the literal wording for NJ.. no solution offered.. so none can be assumed satisfactory.. 

Vlad, that's exactly the point. NJ seems to accept a pin as a permanent solution to a stock, therefore they would have to accept it as permanent for a barrel. I don't find it logical to adapt NFA law that is NOT based around what is a permanent connection of a barrel and muzzle device, 2 separate items, their pursuit (ATF) is what makes it a single item, a barrel over 16".

Vlad, that's exactly the point. NJ seems to accept a pin as a permanent solution to a stock, therefore they would have to accept it as permanent for a barrel. I don't find it logical to adapt NFA law that is NOT based around what is a permanent connection of a barrel and muzzle device, 2 separate items, their pursuit (ATF) is what makes it a single item, a barrel over 16".

the acceptance of it for the stock has not a thing to do with a muzzle device... 

does a barrel with a pinned device still have threads? of course it does.. LOL does a barrel with a pinned and welded device still have threads? absolutely.. 

is either scenario likely to end up in court? probably not.. my preference is to just follow the only standard that is out there.. since NJ opts not to provide one.. 

again.. since NJ does not define a standard.. you could say JB weld is "adequate"...