Sign in to follow this  
PDM

Removing Pinned Stock and Replace

Apologies in advance, because I know this has been covered elsewhere, at least in part.  I have an M&P 15 sport, NJ compliant model (obviously).  I have been having a heck of a time finding a sling attachment mount that will work without removing the stock.  Tried the tango down pr4 and it simply didn't fit.  Then ordered a tactical link two piece but just found out that I still need to remove the stock.  So that got me thinking, why don't I just remove the stock and replace it with a fixed model while I am at it.  Thinking about the ACE skeleton stock (I think it has QD points built in).

My questions are: 1) removing the butstock -- is it simply a matter of drilling out the pin and pulling it off?  Any other issues? 2) Any recommendations on a fixed stock other than the ACE?  3) Anyone familiar with the M&P 15 sport (original model) with any insight about milspec/non-milspec issues or other fit issues?

And yes, I am fully aware of NJ law and have no intention of "unpinning" the stock on my rifle to make it adjustable.

The Sport compliant model uses a buffer tube that is longer than a normal carbine tube (from what I have gathered). So if you want to change the stock, you need a new tube, it will not work in any other stock. I was going to get the tango down pr4 for my rifle, why doesn't it fit? The tactical link does not require removing the stock as far as I understood. It's two pieces and it goes around the tube.