JohnnyB

Toddlers and HD guns? What is really safe?

Here is my problem. I am fighting with my wife and my kids about the fact that I keep a Sig P229 .40 cal,

in my nightstand UNLOADED with a loaded magazine not in the pistol and in another place..  They still want it locked in my safe or in a box in the top of a closet with no ammo.

I am a grandfather of two 3 year old boys and I feel that there is NO WAY they can rack the slide to chamber a round on that weapon.

My wife can't even do it! I on the other hand, I can't defend myself with a gun that is locked in a safe! Even a box safe with a combo is no go

as the kids could accidentally press the right buttons! Even then they would have to find the magazine. No long arm may be available to me either as the kids could somehow get to it.

My family has become like the PRNJ! I can't defend myself anymore even in my own home! I would appreciate your suggestions as to how I should

handle this delicate matter. I don't trust biometric safes nor do I want to be the first to buy a smart gun!

I understand your dilemma. If I was in your situation I would be worried to death that one of the kids would get to the gun and something terrible would happen. That to me would be much worse then not being able to defend myself if and when the bad men decide to invade my home.

I would seriously consider buying a night stand from nj concealment furniture. That would enable you to have quick access to a loaded firearm within arms reach and it would be locked up and hidden. Win/win.

I have a few pieces of their furniture myself and it's well worth the peace of mind. Safer then a safe unless there is a fire and even then a fireproof safe only protects for so long. Dan makes some very nice furniture.

• Like 1

Look into Gunvault gun safes; they have ones that run off of keypads, which are fairly reliable. To be safe, punch the code in once a day to make sure the battery is still good to go (like i do on my safe).
As previously suggested, i personally often carry when home, but otherwise have a handgun ready to go with a mag in it (NOT one in the chamber) in my safe door organizer.
I have one or two of those gunvault gun safes i want to sell, so PM me if you're interested in one btw.. They are far better than a combo/standard safe as far as quick access goes.

How is this even a question?

Put it in a safe.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be killed in a home invasion that have my kid or grandkid killed or injured with an unsecured handgun.

I keep my pistol in the nightstand drawer in a simplex safe with one in the chamber.

It takes just as long to smash the combo as it does to run the slide.

• Like 4

Carry it when your home and lock it up when your not but a 229 would not be my first choice for home carry

Sorry. It's a P229 stainless elite. Does that make a difference? It is a heavy pistol. What about the gun would not be a good choice?

How is this even a question?

Put it in a safe.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be killed in a home invasion that have my kid or grandkid killed or injured with an unsecured handgun.

I keep my pistol in the nightstand drawer in a simplex safe with one in the chamber.

It takes just as long to smash the combo as it does to run the slide.

HE....I agree with your sentiments about keeping it in the safe when I am not home. My kids and wife will argue the grandkids could figure out the combo of the simplex safe.

How could I assure them this would not be possible?

Be like me, don't have kids. I have guns 'n ammo falling out of my ears.

Seriously though, get a safe or trigger locking device at a minimum. Their safety comes first.

I have safes on every floor of my home. My issue is quick access and yet 3 year old toddler proof.

If there is no happy medium, I will sacrifice defense for safety!

I'm still a beginner with guns. I'm sure you know much more about them than I do. That said, I do know a bit about kids... and the stuff they get into! And you have TWO of them - double trouble! Are you so certain they couldn't load it and rack the slide? Hmmmm... easy enough to fit a magazine in, right?. And then... what if they're fighting over it? Once grabs the slide, the other grabs the barrel - a friendly tug of war ensues (inadvertently racking the slide? What would that take... 2 minutes?) 

How many kids end up overdosing because their families were "sure" they couldn't reach the bathroom cabinet?  Or end up outside and hit by a car because everyone was "sure" they couldn't get past the locked front door? The little rug rats are always capable of more than we think. And, if not now, then perhaps 3-6 months from now. So, your plans always need to be ahead of their current developmental stage.  Really, this is not worth the risk... or the family angst. Take one of the recommendations above.

• Like 1

In a similar situation, although I have at the very least a few more months before it becomes a real concern. I am looking hard at the Gunbox 2.0.

It is fairly quick access via a fingerprint scanner. Has some very good reviews, And most importantly, has an alarm if the box is moved or tampered with.

In a similar situation, although I have at the very least a few more months before it becomes a real concern. I am looking hard at the Gunbox 2.0.

It is fairly quick access via a fingerprint scanner. Has some very good reviews, And most importantly, has an alarm if the box is moved or tampered with.

The Gunbox 2.0 has MANY 1 star ratings for a failure to open! this is why I don't want a biometric safe.

Please look at the reviews on Amazon.com before purchasing.

Is your bedroom door solid core?  In a reinforced frame (preferably swinging out) with heavy duty hinge screws and a deadbolt from the inside?  Maybe a camera on the outside.

If your bedroom is secure, it can delay an intruder enough minutes for you to open the safe and start blazing.

I'm still a beginner with guns. I'm sure you know much more about them than I do. That said, I do know a bit about kids... and the stuff they get into! And you have TWO of them - double trouble! Are you so certain they couldn't load it and rack the slide? Hmmmm... easy enough to fit a magazine in, right?. And then... what if they're fighting over it? Once grabs the slide, the other grabs the barrel - a friendly tug of war ensues (inadvertently racking the slide? What would that take... 2 minutes?)

How many kids end up overdosing because their families were "sure" they couldn't reach the bathroom cabinet? Or end up outside and hit by a car because everyone was "sure" they couldn't get past the locked front door? The little rug rats are always capable of more than we think. And, if not now, then perhaps 3-6 months from now. So, your plans always need to be ahead of their current developmental stage. Really, this is not worth the risk... or the family angst. Take one of the recommendations above.

You don't let your kids go outside?

• Like 1

What would a reasonable person do. Spend a little money, get a quick access safe.

Do this.  End of discussion.  It's the right solution.  

And no, the kids won't stumble upon the right access code, unless you pick a blindingly simple access code.  So don't do that.

They're three now. Then four, then ten... you may be right now, but eventually you need a real solution. As others have said, get a safe. And if going the combo route, pick one with a sufficiently long combo. My five year old figured out my iPad code. Grated it was from watching me use it, but curious eyes, idle hands....

Quick access/Biometric "safe" is my answer.  I keep my HD gun loaded with safety on in it.  2 Methods of "safety"

Maybe look to getting a different HD pistol?  One with safety/decocker instead of just decock?  

There's no way my 2 1/2 yr old could rack the thing either.... she can barely hold a toy gun...

safes on every floor????? paranoia runs deep eh? 

I think you ought to maybe sell them, take up another hobby because anyone that keeps an unloaded gun that can be accessed by kids in a house should not own firearms

I find your response nasty an totally uncalled for! You assume you know know more about guns and gun safety than I do? You do not know me at all!

• Like 1

Quick access/Biometric "safe" is my answer.  I keep my HD gun loaded with safety on in it.  2 Methods of "safety"

Maybe look to getting a different HD pistol?  One with safety/decocker instead of just decock?  

There's no way my 2 1/2 yr old could rack the thing either.... she can barely hold a toy gun...

Nick,  That is what I am leaning toward. I just want a reliable one.  One grandson is 3 and one 2 1/2 years old and that is my point that there is no way in hell that they can

rack that slide. In condition 3, the only way they could get hurt is by dropping it on their toe!

I can't find the safe I use but it's very similar to this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SentrySafe-.4-cu-ft-Security-Safe/35255021

It adds about 2 seconds to me being able to retrieve my gun.  I added a piece of 1/4" thick steel channel to one side, inside the safe, to prevent a bullet from leaving the safe. Makes me feel better about keeping my handgun loaded.  I'm sure that keeping it loaded makes up for the 2 seconds lost. 

The kids aren't going to guess the combination.   It's a 4 digit combination. That's 10x10x10x10=10,000 possible combinations.  If you enter the wrong combination 3 times, it times-out for 5 minutes.  5,000 guesses will take you almost 6 days to have a 50/50 chance of guessing it.  Spend12 days and nights guessing combinations and you're guaranteed to get in.

I have a quick access safe with 3 handguns in it, in my bedroom on a higher shelf. My VP9 is on the bottom shelf to get the quickest. Wife's handgun up top along with my shield. All have fully loaded mags in them. If the safe is moved enough it sounds an alarm, if the code is punched in wrong 3 times it sounds an alarm. If a burglar wanted to break into it they could, if my kids decide to fuck with it, we'll know before they can get one of our guns out. 

I have posted this quick access safe many times on here..... I still think its the best

http://www.fas1safe.com/

NO batteries.... Knox type lock

Fast access and lid actually lifts and presents gun to you

You pick your combo, even to the point where you could have to push 2 buttons at one time for one of the codes.....

I have 2 in my house.....