JohnnyB

Toddlers and HD guns? What is really safe?

I am exploring the FAS1 type that Troy and others recommended. In the mean time, all weapons and ammunition will be secured in a real safe at ALL times.

Only one pistol will be available, and will always be kept unloaded at the top of a closet out of reach.

the magazine will be stored far away from the gun at all times.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer this in a helpful way!  Although I still say a 2 1/2 and 3 year old most likely can't rack that slide

I will obviously err on the side of their safety and NEVER SAY NEVER when it comes to the ingenuity of curious children!

I grew up with guns as did my own children. I learned from my father and I taught my children at a young age about guns and gun safety. Old school as Olderguysrule and Smokin .50 pointed out.

These are my grandchildren and only their parents can decide when the time is right for them to learn about guns. I can only push it so far. My kids were raised right.

Then they went to college and got their heads all screwed up!

• Like 1

Follow up on this.

FAS1 owner(?) sent me email after seeing this post and suggested some solutions to my problem with holster. I wish I talked to him before because solution was super easy. This is what I call a great service for American made product!

I have FAS1 and have a couple things to say:

- I practice to open it at night at least a couple times a week. After a year and some I still could not do it reliably on a first try. Call me stupid.

- I have a full size gun with a light. Holster fabric stretched a little over time and sometimes gun shifts and gets stuck in there. Safe opens but it takes effort and some wiggling to take the gun out.

FAS1 has a feature to disable lock while it is closed. I use it when I leave house for more than a day.

While I still consider FAS1 as a nice product, I am considering getting something else for a night stand safe.

Follow up on this.

FAS1 owner(?) sent me email after seeing this post and suggested some solutions to my problem with holster. I wish I talked to him before because solution was super easy. This is what I call a great service for American made product!

well that's really cool. I'm going to look into one just for that reason.