oldguysrule649

Texas License to Carry class (Dallas-Fort Worth)

Just learned that I will be going to Dallas-Fort Worth area of Texas next week for 10 days for work.  I plan to get my Texas License to Carry while there (formerly known as a CHL).

I have today submitted my non-resident application online at the Texas Dept of Safety website and am in the process of scheduling an appointment with Identogo/MorphoTrust(in Texas).

My question is has anyone here done this in the DFW area and have any recommendations for a training facility.  I did find several thru a Google search but wanted to check here for any recommendations.

Once I complete this process I will post a full write-up.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I have reserved a class with DFW Concealed Carry not far from DFW airport . Will let you know how things work out.

Also setup my appt with Identogo/MorphoTrust, also near DFW. And firstly, filled out my LTC application online with the Texas Dept of Public Safety.

Keeping my fingers crossed this trip works out and also that I pass the shooting qualification portion of the class.

My trip worked out and I am pleased to say that I passed the LTC class today here in Dallas. Was 5 hours of classroom time, followed by a 25 question written test, then the 50 shot shooting proficiency test at a nearby range. Once I get back home in about a week, I will provide details on the end to end application process. For those curious about the shooting portion, there are a variety of videos available on Youtube. The primary significance to me of obtaining the Texas LTC permit is that it is recognized by Pennsylvania. The class must be taken in Texas. It will round out my "collection" of non-resident permits, the others being NH, Florida, and Utah.

My trip worked out and I am pleased to say that I passed the LTC class today here in Dallas. Was 5 hours of classroom time, followed by a 25 question written test, then the 50 shot shooting proficiency test at a nearby range. Once I get back home in about a week, I will provide details on the end to end application process. For those curious about the shooting portion, there are a variety of videos available on Youtube. The primary significance to me of obtaining the Texas LTC permit is that it is recognized by Pennsylvania. The class must be taken in Texas. It will round out my "collection" of non-resident permits, the others being NH, Florida, and Utah.

Congratulations!  I was in DFW early this year but did not have my trip set up with enough time to take the class.  I will be sure to consult with you if I go back out in the next few months.

Thanks for the update - Tom

I have mailed in the required materials to the Texas Dept of Public Safety.
I promised to provide details on the process and my perspective for future reference by this community.
The usual IANAL and YMMV caveats apply. So here goes.

A logical high level sequence is as follows:
1) Fill out and submit an online application on the Texas Dept of Public Safety website.
2) a) Make your finger printing appointment with an IdentoGo location in Texas.

b) Research, select, and register into a LTC class in Texas. (Further details below.)
3) Familiarize yourself with, and practice for, the shooting qualification.
4) Travel to Texas.
5) Get finger printed at IdentoGo.
6) Take the Texas License to Carry Class. You will receive a completed and signed CHL-100 form. That is the critical document you need to come home with.
7) Travel home.
8) Get passport photos taken (e.g. at Costco).
9) Assemble all the required documents and mail(USPO) in your application.

Note: Step #2 needs to follow step #1.

If you don’t like reading long posts, stop reading here, lol.

Details on each step are as follows:

STEP#1: SUBMIT ONLINE APPLICATION
The URL is: https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/
The first web page provides an overview of what is required for the application.
Have your NJ driver’s license handy along with your credit card.
The fee is $140. If you are over 60 years old, it is only $70.
Make sure the name you enter matches your driver’s license. (In my case: First name, middle initial, Last name)
At the end of the online application process, a “Checklist” page will appear. Print a copy for yourself.
You will also receive a confirmation email.

STEP#2: A) MAKE FINGERPRINTING APPOINTMENT
After submitting the online application you will receive an email from “unenroll.identogo.com” containing a link to schedule your appointment with IdentoGo. This email will take anywhere from 2 hour to 48 hours to arrive. I recommend you wait to receive it. If you contact IdentoGo prematurely, they may not yet have received your New Jersey DL information from the Texas DPS.
Once you receive the email, go ahead and schedule your fingerprinting appointment at an IdentoGo location IN TEXAS. (Trying to have your prints done in NJ and transferring them to Texas may be problematic so I do not recommend this.).

B) Research, select, and register for an LTC training/certification class.  (See details in Step#6 below.)

STEP#3: Practice for the Shooting Qualification portion of the training.
Range practice is optional but I strongly recommend you familiarize yourself with the test and scoring in advance of the class.
The course of fire is described here: http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/LicenseRegistration/chlQualCourse.pdf
Here is a good YouTube video:

STEP#4: TRAVEL TO TEXAS.
I recommend you allow enough time to get fingerprinted one day and take the training on the next day. (I.e. trying to fit in both on the same day may be a challenge.)

STEP#5: GET FINGERPRINTED.
Get your fingerprinting done per the appointment you made above. You will need to show your NJ driver’s license. The fee for fingerprinting is approx. $11 and is payable at the time of your appointment. Bring a credit card. They will give you a finger printing receipt which you should keep. The appointment itself takes 10-15 minutes.

STEP#6: TAKE THE TRAINING CLASS:
There are many providers of this training in Texas.
In the Dallas area, I used DFW Concealed Carry (https://www.dfwconcealedcarry.com/).
The class ran from 9:00 until approx. 5:00 PM. It was comprised of 4-5 hours of class time followed by a 25 question multiple choice test. They teach straight through with occasional 5 minute breaks, no lunch break. Bring your own water, food, snacks, etc. into the classroom with you. Class size was approx. 15 people.
Then we drove about 10 minutes to a nearby range where we took the shooting qualification test. Best if you bring 50 rounds of ammo with you. (I bought a box at Bass Pro the night before.) Or you can likely purchase it at the range. Four people at a time took the test.
If you pass both the written test and shooting test, you will leave with your “CHL-100 Certificate of Training” in hand.

I brought my own eye and ear protection with me to Texas; but not my firearm. Confirm in advance that they will rent you a firearm. In my case, the instructor let me use his Glock 17. (I have a Glock 19, so that was perfect.)

Also, and importantly, if you normally use a Maglula to load your mags, bring it with you. Due to arthritis in my hands I have difficult loading magazines. Note that, per my instructor, the state requires that you demonstrate your ability to load three rounds by hand. I did so, then used my Maglula to load the other 47 rounds.

STEP#7: TRAVEL HOME.
Travel home with your CHL-100 form and your IdentoGo receipt.

STEP#8: PASSPORT PHOTOS
If don’t already have them, go and get passport photos taken.

STEP#9: SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS BY USPO MAIL.
Mail in all the required documentation as per the Checklist you were sent at the time you submitted your online application(Step#1).
In general your mailing will be comprised of:
1) The CHL-100 form. (I submitted the original copy.)
2) A filled out CHL-6 form. Open the blank PDF, type in your info, then print it.
3) A copy of your NJ driver’s license.
4) Your passport photo.
5) A copy of your IdentoGo receipt.
6) A copy of the confirmation/checklist page from Step#1.

Note that having to submit the passport photo precludes submitting these materials by email.

And that’s it! Congratulations and Good Luck!
  • Like 1

Congratulations!  I was in DFW early this year but did not have my trip set up with enough time to take the class.  I will be sure to consult with you if I go back out in the next few months.

Thanks for the update - Tom

Tom, I posted the details above. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have. PM me whenever needed.

Tom, I posted the details above. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have. PM me whenever needed.

Thanks very much for taking the time to document this.  I am sure many here on the forum are thankful as well.

I am not sure when I am going to Texas but will send you an update in a few months.

Many Thanks.......Tom

An update.  Just checked the status on the Texas DPS website (pasted below).  Looks like I am good to go!  Time to start watching my mailbox.

Note that it took almost three weeks for the website to show any status at all.  So they do not update it at each step.  Hence patience is called for.

Choose Service

LICENSE APPLICATION STATUS: If you have a pending License to Carry a Handgun application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required. Once the application and documents have been received by Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

License Application Status: Application packet has been received from the applicant, the application is in progress.

• Application : Received
  • Fingerprints : Received
  • Affidavits : Received
  • DL or ID : Valid
  • Citizenship : No documentation required
  • Passport Photo Holder (Out of State Only) : Received
  • Photo (Out of State Only) : Received
  • Proof of Classroom training : Received
  • Proof of Proficiency training : Received
  • Fee : Received
  • Background Check : Completed
  • License To Carry A Handgun : Print Pending

Welcome to the club! I got my TX CHL near Houston and got printed in Midland. Once I completed the process, TX sent my card in the 6-8 weeks they promised.

Even funnier, I updated my address and got my TX card in 2 weeks. It took NJ over 7 weeks to update my FPID.

Welcome to the club! I got my TX CHL near Houston and got printed in Midland. Once I completed the process, TX sent my card in the 6-8 weeks they promised.

Even funnier, I updated my address and got my TX card in 2 weeks. It took NJ over 7 weeks to update my FPID.

Thanks.

Btw, I checked the status this morning and it said that it has been mailed. Now I will really be watching my mailbox!

I am pleased to report that my "Texas License To Carry Handgun" arrived in the mail today. 

The full timeline was as follows:

- 12/29/2016: Submitted my online application to the Texas DPS.

- 1/04/2017: Fingerprints taken at IdentoGO in Dallas, Tx.

- 1/07/2017: Training class taken in Dallas, Texas.

- 1/17/2017: Mailed supplemental materials (e.g. passport photos, etc.) to the Texas DPS via USPS Certified mail.

- 1/21/2017: Supplemental materials arrived at the Texas DPS.  *** The wait clock starts ticking here. ***

- 2/10/2017(approx): Status first appears on the Texas DPS website.  Shows all steps completed(Green) and the last step "Print Pending"

- 2/15/2017: Status shows as "Mailed".

- 2/21/2017: Received Texas "License to Carry Hangun" in the mail.

i-nmdNrwj-S.jpg

• Like 1