Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

Determining A 1917 Colt Model U.S. Army 1911's Value

I'm doing homework for a friend of mine. I'm not a 1911 aficionado, so forming my opinion needs some help.

He has a Colt 1911 passed down through his family. A serial number lookup on the Colt database says it was manufactured in 1917. I'm pretty sure it saw action in WWI. The slide and frame engravings are:

Colts PT F.A. Mfg. Co.

Hartford CT U.S.A.

Pat. April 20,1897 September 9, 1902  December 19, 1905  February 14, 1911  August 19, 1913

Model of 1911 U.S. Army

Serial #: Under 200000

The pistol has seen some obvious use and hasn't been cleaned and oiled in some time. But there's no rust or corrosion and for a 100 year old pistol it's condition seems pretty good. The thumb safety was broken at some point and will have to be replaced. Nothing in the pistol's word-of-mouth history suggests it participated in anything special. (Like being in Black Jack Pershing's holster at some point.)

I'd be interested in opinions. Is this a run-of-the-mill gun that's interesting to have but not of any significant value, or is it something that bears further investigation?

Best try 1911forum under USGI section

There's a current 1917 thread that can give you an idea of what info you can get based on the pics/info you provide.

An excellent idea. I will. Thanks!

Could be worth 1K-2500. Post pics on 1911 forum is best bet!

That seems to be the range discussed, depending on particulars. Now I need to meet up with my PA friend and go over the pistol. Apparently there may be markings on the slide and/or barrel that are relevant. Also I need to clean the pistol thoroughly and lube it. It's been a long time since it had attention. Then I could take some pictures to post up.

I believe other than the broken thumb safety the entire pistol is original. And with serial 197xxx it's really early on.