lilred121986

a few ?'s about NJ rifle compliance and building ar15

Hello i own a Ruger AR556 i bought last year, it is NJ legal. Now i notice and read online that ppl in nj, has 15 round mags, flash hiders or flash cages on the end of the barrel. when i bought my gun the dealer told me 10 round is the only legal magazine in nj, and its illegal to have flash hiders or cages on the end of barrel. Now here my ?'s

1. Is it only when buying a rifle they come with 10 and i can go buy a 15 round clip without the ATF knockin on my door?

2.I found where they sell upper kits and said just need to pick out the bird cage id like to be mounted. so i assume they gonna weld it? and if its welded does that make it legal in nj?

i only ask cuz i am looking to build a ar myself threw out the year and even thow i can get badass non legal nj parts from acros the border id like to be legal to take to the range. hehe. So hopeing all the experience here at the forum can help me with these ?'s

15 rounds is the limit for any semi automatic with a detachable mag. No flash hiders on ar15 rifles unless you lose the pistol grip or permanently attach the mag. I highly recommend search and reading on here, all of these questions have been answered.

P.s. it's magazine not clip. A clip is a piece of metal that holds ammo and is inserted into the top of a magazine.

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

The limits you are questioning are NJ Law not Federal Law.

So NJ limits "evil" features to two.  Any more makes it an assualt weapon by NJ standards.  Those features are defined in other threads on this site.

So, no flash hiders, but muzzle brakes permanently mounted to the barrel are OK for now.   NJ will get a new governor in 2018 and all bets are off on the future status of the AR15 platform, plan carefully as NJ in the past has not grandfathered anything that was already allowed. Here today, banned tomorrow.

Magazine limits for all rifles and handguns are 15 rounds for now.  

• Like 2

You can not have a flash hider in NJ. What you are seeing on the board here and in stores are comps or brakes. And yes, it will need to be pinned and welded

Point of order: You are absolutely permitted to have a flash hider on a semi-auto rifle in NJ. You just can't have one on an AR15 type rifle. On a Mini-14, Ares SCR, M1 Garand, M14 type, flash hiders are perfectly legal.

Magazines are limited to 15 rounds for all semi-auto pistols and rifles. But as T Bill stated, be prepared for that to change at some point.

• Like 1

I don't think any manufacturers at this point makes dedicated 15 round AR magazines. They are most likely modified from 30 or 20 rounds to the hold 15 rounds. Hexmag does this and so do other vendors that sell the Magpul mags. Check Estrella Ordanance who's also a forum vendor. Here's the link

http://www.colddeadhands.com/accessories.html

If you decide to build your own upper or add your own muzzle brake either you will pin and weld it on yourself if you know how to or get someone to do the complaince work for you. Prob the latter. If you decide to get a stock that also adjustable it would probably have to be pinned in a fixed position as well. All these items can be shipped direct to you the only part that needs to go through the FFL is the serialized lower. 

I've used Steve from Monmouth Arms and he's also a local vendor in Marlboro, NJ. He also carries the Hexmag magazines. Plenty of other forum members have used him for FFL services and compliance work too. If you are from Sussex the trip might be a haul. Can anyone else refer him to another guy closer to his location that can do the compliance work??

• Like 1

Point of order: You are absolutely permitted to have a flash hider on a semi-auto rifle in NJ. You just can't have one on an AR15 type rifle. On a Mini-14, Ares SCR, M1 Garand, M14 type, flash hiders are perfectly legal.

Magazines are limited to 15 rounds for all semi-auto pistols and rifles. But as T Bill stated, be prepared for that to change at some point.

Correct but he is talking about building another AR :p . Kept is simple for him

Was just about to correct everyone saying a Flash Hider is illegal...

Cant have it on ARs and similar weapons due to them already having evil features, but on, say, a bolt action rifle such as the ruger precision rifle i picked up, its totally legal. Its all about the evil features in NJ; make sure you read up about those rules as it gets really confusing sometimes.

Why is the flash hider illegal on an AR15?  Sure with how one usually sets up a NJ AR it's illegal, but there are scenarios where it wouldn't be.  You could have a california style non PG stock and then have your flash hider as your one feature.

It's stupid and not worth it but it doesn't mean it's illegal

U-15Rifle-M4.jpg

Why is the flash hider illegal on an AR15?  Sure with how one usually sets up a NJ AR it's illegal, but there are scenarios where it wouldn't be.  You could have a california style non PG stock and then have your flash hider as your one feature.

U-15Rifle-M4.jpg

Sorry to hijack, but I had to do this after seeing that.... "stock"

u15_2.jpg

• Like 2

Why is the flash hider illegal on an AR15? Sure with how one usually sets up a NJ AR it's illegal, but there are scenarios where it wouldn't be. You could have a california style non PG stock and then have your flash hider as your one feature.

U-15Rifle-M4.jpg

Yeah.... I don't consider than an AR15 type any longer.

• Like 1