Lambo2936

Picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle; Now, what brake to get?

Picked up a RPR and put the 6-24 Nikon Monarch w/ Larue QD Mount i had on my Varminter on that (Picking a new, cheaper setup for the AR). I'd like to put a muzzle device on it, because i may as well seeing as its threaded and ready to go. Any suggestions? Something somewhat budget but not just for the sake of having it. Not sure how recoil is on these as i have yet to fire it..
Is a flashhider legal on these? I am extremely confused as firearm laws go due to this not being an Assault Weapon; that means the folding stock is OK as is the removable mag, right? Can i put a flashhider on it, too??

Anyhow, back on topic, i'd like to put a muzzle device on it. It is a 308 model. Let me know what ya guys think.

Thanks

No magazine over 15 rds. The mags are the same as an AR IIRC. Other than that you can put anything you want on that rifle All the evil features if you want. They only apply to semi autos with detachable magazines.

Ruger makes flash hider and muzzle brakes starting from $19.95 up. I would prefer a flash hider (only $19.95) as you will get a bit of flash from that 20 inch barrel in dim light.

I don't consider recoil an issue with a 10 lb bolt gun in 7.62 NATO. Brakes help more with a semiauto as you can be shooting it faster. I don't know you will perceive the recoil. I would fire it first and see what you think of the recoil. If you're okay with it get a flash hider. If not get a brake.

• Like 1

BTW, as far as what to feed your rifle, I shoot mostly 7.62 NATO spec ammo in my Savage. My rifle shoots 3/4" groups or smaller with just about NATO spec ammo. That includes the Lithuanian or Turkish ZQI. I got a bunch of ZQI for abput 40 cents a round and the brass is as good as most for reloading. That settles down to about 2" groups +/- at 300 yards, the farthest I've shot it. You can shoot smaller groups with a slightly heavier bullet (168 or 172) but how much accuracy do you want. It's fun to experiment with different loads. I have a 150 gr soft point load which duplicates the NATO load if I wanted to hunt with the rifle.

Remember you don't have to pin or weld any muzzle device you put on that rifle.

Thanks for the confirmation, thats what i thought.

Yes it takes standard ar10 type mags IIRC. It came with 2 though so thats plenty for now. Just gotta decide on what muzzle device. If they are truly only 20 bucks ill probably pick one up just to try it out though. Worst case scenario i have more crap in my gun drawer.

Oh, btw, id like to keep it at/under 100$.. used like new (not beat to shit) would be fine as well if anyones got something laying around.

I have the Gen II Little Bastard on mine. Not cheap. Works great, easy timing, no jumping off table, etc.

https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/gen-ii-little-bastard/

Lol just saw your thread about getting a RPR. I got a pretty good deal, paid 900 bucks, still in the box, from a member on here.

Ruger has brakes starting at $45. Look on their website for accessories.

I saw, not sure if they are any good though. If i was buying it by looks id get the surefire; it looks awesome but i have no idea if it works well. Fairly unfamiliar with muzzle devices as i have zero experience with builds.

Whelp we did mention a few. But Surefire is not the only kid on the block and not necessarily one for a long rifle. Imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw, not sure if they are any good though. If i was buying it by looks id get the surefire; it looks awesome but i have no idea if it works well. Fairly unfamiliar with muzzle devices as i have zero experience with builds.

People buy too many things for rifles because they "look good".

People buy too many things for rifles because they "look good".

Yeah, i know, haha.

I was only stating that as my point was that while i know Ruger has some for a pretty good pricepoint, i have no idea if they are any good; if that wasnt of concern to me, i'd purchase something that looks cool and be done with it. I'm trying to find something that is effective rather than pirty.

Whelp we did mention a few. But Surefire is not the only kid on the block and not necessarily one for a long rifle. Imho.

Yes, i realize that. I appreciate your input but was hoping for a few more suggestions to look into from others. The one you suggested is like 160$, which is a bit more than i'd like to swing right this second. Trying to stay @/Under 100$; maybe i can find one of those used, though. I'll check eBay.

No problem. You got a good deal on a great rifle. Don't skimp on decent parts for it though. Good luck.... [emoji3]

• Like 1

I would consider parts offered my the manufacturer "decent".

I agree. I meant don't cheap out just to spend less money. Thats the same thing as buying a 3000 dollar rifle and putting a 100 dollar scope on it.[emoji6]

Read a lot of it.

Seems like the trade off is recoil vs sound/concussion. Think ill have to shoot it as is and see how it is with recoil. If its reasonable i may leave it as is, as the brakes that are most effective at minimizing recoil seem to make the rifle far louder, and as it is i have issues with the noise at the range lately due to my new headsets not fitting me properly (Howard Impacts). Ill have to find new ear pro soon too..

May end up just sticking a FH on there if the recoil is reasonable. I dont think itll be all that bad though, my 3006 bolt gun is fine.

Ive had many 308's with no brake at all, recoil is not the issue, at least for me. IMO the goal is to try and be able to spot your hits so muzzle rise is what Im trying to control.

Yeah, if anything will be an issue its that. Ill find out when i get to shoot it, i suppose.

Lambo, I did a little homework for you. The brake made by Ruger will cost you $60. Their flash surppressor $20. I called Ruger Customer Service and asked all the pertinent questions. You can install them yourself, no gunsmith needed. You need to get the correct thread size. You just need to pay attention to where the ports in each are facing and adjust by using the lock washer. The brakes and surpressors Ruger sells are made specifically for Ruger rifles and are made by them. Not subcontracted. Recoil reduction is 57-58%.

Compare this to those tested in the link Shane45 posted. The best brake listed reduces recoil by 44%. That costs $185. The least effective reduces recoil by 18% and costs $116. Most of those listed require gunsmith installation so that's going to cost more.

I don't think Ruger is lying about the recoil reduction as there is no need to. The aftermarket brakes are a one size fits all. Rugers are made specifically for their rifles. Because of this they can be more effective and a DIY installation.

Spend $60 for something that's almost a third more effective than something over 3X the price. Seems like a no brainer to me. Spend another $20 for the flash surrpressor while you're at it.

Interesting perspective Griz but to be honest, I don't think you could draw an effectiveness conclusion between one brake with testing conducted one way and another test done another way. To be able to compare them I would think they would need to be tested the same way under the same criteria by the same tester.

Interesting perspective Griz but to be honest, I don't think you could draw an effectiveness conclusion between one brake with testing conducted one way and another test done another way. To be able to compare them I would think they would need to be tested the same way under the same criteria by the same tester.

Reduction of momentum and peak force are the only way I know to do this. You can compute free recoil energy. Measure before and after installing the brake. There's a formula for computing free recoil energy but there's no way to plug in a factor for reduction unless you test momentum and peak force.

I feel confident Ruger tested this "properly". The fact the Ruger product was designed for a specific rifle makes it able to engineer their surpressors to be more effective. Aftermarket brakes "might" be caliber specific. Ruger's are rifle specific.

I understand what you're saying. I don't doubt the testing by Precision Rifle. I don't doubt the testing by Ruger. You want to doubt Ruger.

Even if the Ruger would be half as effective as they claim it would still be a bargain compared to what other are asking. If it performs the same as the least effective the Ruger is still half the price with no gunsmithing costs. I tried to find a review where they actually tested the Ruger brake. Couldn't find one. But I did find several people who shot a Ruger rifle with and without a the Ruger brake. They all said they didn't think Ruger was lying about the recoil reduction.

I realize many have spent several hundred dollars on brakes and find it hard to believe a factory can do better for $60.