Sign in to follow this  
PDM

1911 Stripped Bushing Threads in Frame

I have a S&W 1911 with a scandium frame, replaced the stock grips with VZ slim grips a number of years ago.  Haven't shot it much and now realize that one of the grip screws won't tighten.  Took the grip off and the bushing came with it, and on inspection it is clear that the threads for the bushing on the frame are stripped and the busing rotates freely in the frame.  I recall that the original bushings were a huge pain to remove and I must have stripped the threads in that hole.  I know there are oversized bushings available that need to be "tapped" (not sure what that means -- tapped in rather than screwed in?)  Alternatively I suppose I could try blue loctite but not sure if that would hold it.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? 

Thanks.  I see Brownells sells the tap but I don't know if this is something I want to do myself because if it is further f'd up I'm guessing that might just leave me with a ruined frame.  Is it just a matter of inserting the tap and cutting the new threads?  Seems like an easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing.  Any sense of how much a gunsmith would charge (and does anyone know of a reliable one in North Jersey?) 

You absolutely sure the bushing is not stripped? I've seen stripped bushing but very rarely the threads in a frame. The bushing metal is usually softer than the frame metal unless its an aluminum frame. If you need a quick fix, throw some green loctite till you can perm repair it.

In the future, do not install the grip screws without rubber o-rings. You'll stand a much lesser chance of stripping.

I believe they are #10s and you can get a pack of them cheap at Home Depot in the faucet section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will check the bushing more closely.  It is a "scandium" frame, which I believe means it is mostly aluminum.  The orginal bushings were really hard to remove -- they may have been staked or locktited -- and I wouldn't be surprised if I damaged the threads.  Only one bushing is a problem and the grip panel is still on pretty solid.  I may try the loctite anyway.  I very rarely shoot this gun in any event although it is a pleasure to shoot.  I'm sorry I ever messed with it. 

Green Loctite is designed to enter threads through any spaces when the bolt is already in. Stuff is like crazy glue. Trick is finding it in stores. I had to order mine from Amazon.

Stuff works very well.

Companies use blue or red on grip screes. My Sig P938 had red. Other 1911s used blue.

You still should use o-rings. You won't have to tighten them as much and it keeps them from backing out or being over tightened and cracking your grips. Standard SOP on all of my 1911s...

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk