Limey

Applying for FPID and permits and...

I'm immediately aware that my Township (Manchester) require me to fill out a form in addition to the NJSP requirements that requires me to list the people I live with.

So I know this is unlawful from reading what I have on this forum and elsewhere.

Question is, how best to tackle this when go in to submit the paperwork?

Lawyer up immediately?

I plan on chronicling this process for those interested!

Lawyer up immediately?

If it was myself, I would let them know that under NJ laws, that is illegal. If they say sucks for you, you're not getting your license then I would threaten with a lawyer. If they laugh in your face and continue to deny you your license based on that, lawyer up. Nice lawsuit coming their way.

You should also bring it to the attention of "Operation Strikeforce." I forget who's spearheading it, but they're on here and there are plenty of threads about it. Look them up.

Edited to add: Ah, T Bill just beat me to it.... :)

If I can find it, I'll send you a copy of a letter that went out from the NJ Attorney General's office that essentially tells municipal PD's to knock it off with the illegal extra forms.

I've posted it here on NJGF before, but it's been a while and this site's search is close to useless.

Giving Manchester PD a copy of that letter might be all that's needed for them to drop the "cohabitants" form requirement.

Ahh, here it is:

http://www.nj.gov/lps/dcj/agguide/directives/2016-4_Permits-to-Carry-Firearms_Directive.pdf

Page 2, middle of 2nd paragraph (my emphasis added, any typos are probably mine):

... Police agencies serving in the capacity of firearms licensing authorities are prohibited from applying different policies and standards reflecting local or personal views for the appropriate regulation of civilian firearms, and are prohibited from requiring the submission of forms or the provision of information that goes beyond the the items of information authorized by N.J.S.A.  2C:58-3(e), the State Police application forms, or judicial authority interpreting the law. ...

• Like 1

Maybe contact NJ2AS? They did a series of hidden camera visits to a few municipalities a while ago and might be interested if you happen to have your phone in your shirt pocket and recording while you discuss this extra requirement.

It means I logged onto Manchester Townships website, looked at the list of requirements for a FID and became 'immediately aware' they were up to mischief.

It was something that stood out on what should have been a list of two forms.

I am not sure you can become "immediately aware"

The act of becoming aware is instantaneous in and of itself..

You were "unaware" before reading the requirements.

You became "aware" after reading the documents.

Of course you can; I was immediately aware of it because it stood out on the list of requirements.

If I'd noticed it later on I'd have said I became aware but for whatever reason it was the first thing my eyes found when I scrolled past the header.

If I had become aware of this at the PD it would be in a delayed context of becoming aware of something.

I am not sure you can become "immediately aware"

The act of becoming aware is instantaneous in and of itself..

You were "unaware" before reading the requirements.

You became "aware" after reading the documents.

Come on now, that's enough. You're being a prick just for the sake of being a prick.

• Like 1