gfl216

M&P Shield vs Glock 43

One of the rookies at work asked me if I think he should get a Glock 43 or a M&P Shield for an off duty weapon. I told him that I had no experience with either gun and suggested that he might want to go on youtube but now he has me wondering. If you had a choice between the two, which gun would you choose and why? I believe that they are pretty close in price so that shouldn't effect the decision.

Sounds like a rookie suggestion. Between the 2 I'd get a Glock 26. Okay hear me out. The 26 is only a few millimeters bigger in each direction. No difference in carrying concealed. If you put a +2 extension on the magazine, you have 13 rds in the gun. You can carry a 17 or 19 magazine for a reload for up to a 19 rd reload (with a +2).

The Shield is about the same size as the 26 but gives you fewer rounds and no option to carry higher capacity magazines.

I actually think the G19 is a better all around gun and not much bigger than a 26. If you have to have a smaller gun get a 26.

I've only carried a gun for almost 45 years and I'm still learning.

Doing it everyday, most of my guys carry a Glock 43 and only one carrys the shield. Hes a Smith guy. Every one of us also has a Glock 19 as an option.

I do see the benefit of the 43 for carry since its tiny and cant even fit in your pocket... i still like the shield for grip feel

Actually went thru this last year and picked the Shield over a G43.

Main reasoning for it was I thought the Shield's trigger was crisper and overall made the gun shoot more accurately for me. And while they are both about the same size, the Shield also provided for an extra round. Otherwise, I would consider them to be even in reliability, accuracy, concealability, etc.

Sounds like a rookie suggestion. Between the 2 I'd get a Glock 26. Okay hear me out. The 26 is only a few millimeters bigger in each direction. No difference in carrying concealed. If you put a +2 extension on the magazine, you have 13 rds in the gun. You can carry a 17 or 19 magazine for a reload for up to a 19 rd reload (with a +2).

The Shield is about the same size as the 26 but gives you fewer rounds and no option to carry higher capacity magazines.

I actually think the G19 is a better all around gun and not much bigger than a 26. If you have to have a smaller gun get a 26.

I've only carried a gun for almost 45 years and I'm still learning.

I suggested the Glock 26 for the very same reasons.

Actually went thru this last year and picked the Shield over a G43.

Main reasoning for it was I thought the Shield's trigger was crisper and overall made the gun shoot more accurately for me. And while they are both about the same size, the Shield also provided for an extra round. Otherwise, I would consider them to be even in reliability, accuracy, concealability, etc.

I recently did this and picked the Glock G43. I thought the G43 had the nicer trigger, pointed better, and was a bit smaller. I am familiar with both platforms as I have larger versions of each (M&P and Glock). The G43 shoots much nicer than my G26 as well, it has less of a snap.

I had to make the same choice, and I decided on a Walter PPS M2. It fits me perfectly, and even better with Talon grips on it.

With a 19/26 size gun concealed, it looks like I have a growth. With the 1" profile of my single stack I can hide it anywhere. I should note that I wear normal clothes that fit properly. Not loose or baggy at all.

In regard to your specific question, I picked the Shield over the 43 (and I love Glocks) because I had trouble using the magazine release on the 43. Ultimately I chose the PPS because it felt like an improved Shield.

• Like 1

I had to make the same choice, and I decided on a Walter PPS M2. It fits me perfectly, and even better with Talon grips on it.

With a 19/26 size gun concealed, it looks like I have a growth. With the 1" profile of my single stack I can hide it anywhere. I should note that I wear normal clothes that fit properly. Not loose or baggy at all.

In regard to your specific question, I picked the Shield over the 43 (and I love Glocks) because I had trouble using the magazine release on the 43. Ultimately I chose the PPS because it felt like an improved Shield.

How do like that m2? Any issues?

How do like that m2? Any issues?

I love it. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy shooting it because I find nothing more pleasurable to shoot than a full size pistol (my G21  :D ).

It is a solid little pistol. My first time shooting it, however, I had maybe 3 total hangups. After pulling the trigger and keeping it held back, the gun would cycle, but fail to go into battery. Not locked back or anything but maybe 1/8th of an inch or less out of battery. A slight nudge would send it home. I hadn't cleaned or lubed it. I pulled it out of the box, ran a bore snake through it, and proceeded to fire about 200 rounds. It only happened in a few of the first mags, and never again after I cleaned/ lubed it. 

It was and still is a pretty tight pistol, but I have at least 600 rounds through it, and I have complete confidence with it.

I'll leave this here for now. Probably delete it tomorrow:

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Vicious_Pics/library/Nothing%20Fancy

I love it. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy shooting it because I find nothing more pleasurable to shoot than a full size pistol (my G21 :D ).

It is a solid little pistol. My first time shooting it, however, I had maybe 3 total hangups. After pulling the trigger and keeping it held back, the gun would cycle, but fail to go into battery. Not locked back or anything but maybe 1/8th of an inch or less out of battery. A slight nudge would send it home. I hadn't cleaned or lubed it. I pulled it out of the box, ran a bore snake through it, and proceeded to fire about 200 rounds. It only happened in a few of the first mags, and never again after I cleaned/ lubed it.

It was and still is a pretty tight pistol, but I have at least 600 rounds through it, and I have complete confidence with it.

I'll leave this here for now. Probably delete it tomorrow:

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Vicious_Pics/library/Nothing%20Fancy

Thank you

I much prefer the shield, and last I checked, the performance center shield is about the same price as the g43. At one point it was like $365 on Bud's.

There is a big difference with the PC shield. Forget about the porting (though short story I subjectively think there is a positive difference), I've been thinking about putting the fiber optic sights on all my pistols. They are that good. You'll find nothing but extreme satisfaction on the triggers online. After a few hundred rounds, I went out and bought the apex kit on my full sized M&P to make it similar.

I think over a million shields have been sold so you probably know someone who will let you shoot it yourself.

For the record, I have also put a few hundred through my dad's g43 so I am directly comparing the two.